• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Upgrading Electr. Charging System?

KEVINADAMS

I WANT TO BEEF UP THE WATTAGE OUTPUT ON MY 93 R100PD. I HAVE SEEN THE COMPLETE KIT THAT MOTORAD ELEC. SELLS FOR AROUND $575. IT INCLUDES A NEW ROTOR, STATOR, VOLTAGE REG., DIODE BORAD SOME OTHER ITEMS. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF OR HAVE A MORE ECONOMICAL SOLUTION. I BELIEVE AFTER TESTING THAT MY CURRENT ROTOR IS BAD BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SUPPLY SEVERAL ACCESORIES AND THE CURRENT 250 WATT @ 4000 RPMS WILL NOT DO IT.

What exactly are you trying to power? The stock alternator puts out 280W.

The MotoElectrik is by far and away the best solution to increasing the alternator output of an airhead. The only other alternative I've ever heard about is mounting a car alternator (Saturn?) outboard of the engine. This required a lot of custom work to do.

I don't run any accessories, but the two best improvements I made to my eletrical system was upgrading the voltage regulator to the police model and replacing the wet cell battery with a gel/AGM battery (Panasonic sealed battery). The sealed battery doesn't discharge as quickly when not being used (I can easily start the bike even after it's been sitting for a week or two in winter). The police model voltage regulator starts battery charging at around 1500 rpm instead of the standard regulator's 3500 rpm or so. So, my battery actually gets charged on the 4 mile stop and go commute to work.

P.S. - please turn off your caps lock. All caps on message forums is the same as yelling.

Sorry about the caps-old habit. I added a set of moto lights, GPS, and I have been running an XM reciever. If I turn on my grips and run my vest....! Well you get the picture. More than anything, since I am gonna have to replace the rotor anyhow I thought I would just go ahead and overkill the system.

The police voltage regulator might do enough however to solve my "slow drain that seems to take place after several hours of riding. It is usually the lower RPM gravel roads and switch backs that get me.

Do you have a part number or any reference for the police voltage regulator? Thanks for your help.
Kevin

Hmmm, that does sound like quite a bit of load. Especially if you're running the lights and heated grips/vest at the same time. You'd have to do the math and add up the wattage of everything you're using and see if the upgraded alternator kit is worth it to you.

I don't know the part number for the police VR. Eurotechmotorsports has them and that's where I bought mine.

The regulator will not solve all of your charging problems...it is a good item to use for a lot of slow off road riding. You should also consider puting a switch in line with the headlight so you can turn it off while you're off road. It's cheaper than the regulator and can come in handy if your alternator quits.

A friend put on the high output alternator kit a year ago when his rotor failed and hasn't had any problems.

I found the police regulator at Eurotech. I think at least for now I will try to use the higher drain items sparingly and see if the new regulator will at least help as my battery seems to stay charged as long as the rpms are up.

Have the Omega system from Motorrad Elec. in my 90 GSPD and it works as advertised. The original system just doesn't cut it, especially riding around town and in other low rpm situations with a sizeable load on the system. At the National in Spokane I also saw a charging system of significant wattage mounted on I believe an R80GS or maybe an ST. Well anyways, the system did away with the BMW rotor,stator,diode board,etc. A pulley was mounted where the original alternator used to be and a vbelt from there drove an alternator mounted in the area at and behind the original diode board location. The owner had a spare vbelt hanging on the with a tag saying the "only spare part needed". Here's the name and #'s I got off the bike:

Greg Hutchison
415-205-7829
ghutchin@pacbell.net

Back