• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Charging a phone on your bike

RTRandy

Anyone have a solution for charging a cell phone on the bike? Particularly on a 1200RT ? I realize you can use a standard car charger with the 12V male plug and then feed that into a female adapter for the BMW 12V plug which can go into one of the outlets.

It's a little messy having the wiring dangling from the outlet and I was hoping for a solution to have a wire come from a hot lead and then perhaps feed into the tank bag where the phone could be charging. Can that male cigarette plug be simply cut off and then use the two exposed wires? Not sure what's inside that cigarette lighter plug such as a transformer to reduce voltage. That's all I need is to fry my iPhone.

Reason I'm asking is my phone stays connected by bluetooth to my Zumo and we often ride a full day. The charge should last a full day, but it could be one less thing to have to deal with by keeping it charged.

Appreciate any good advice.

I got an adapter to plug my European (BMW) plug into the American outlet (cigarette lighter) on my Guzzi. The adapter made the plug about an inch longer, so it wasn't cumbersome. You may be able to get an adapter to work the opposite direction. :scratch Let me know - I may be interested in the same thing.

I'm a big fan of adapters, especially when it comes to 12v car cords. Many of them do have electronics in the plug assembly for stepping the voltage, filtering, polarity reversal, etc.

I just plug mine into the cigarette lighter socket on my GS...which is also where I plug my GPS into.

I couldn't be bothered with adapters and the resulting dangling or tied up wires and sockets.

You have an RT and that means you have plenty of real estate to install a panel mounted cigarette lighter.

I am a big fan of not having my cell phone on when I'm riding. I take it with me, emergency purposes, but it stays switched off in a case or one of my pockets. After all, I am out enjoying myself. What do I need to be bothered for?:dunno

Mike, No arguments about staying off the phone while riding and for numerous reasons. The only rationalization that might help others understand why I use my phone is the following: The phone stays in my pocket out of sight. When a call comes in, it shows up on my Zumo screen complete with caller I.D. I push one large button on the screen and from there both hands are on the bars the whole time including hanging up since it hangs up automatically. The audio comes in through my helmet and is crystal clear especially with ear plugs while the caller most often can't even tell I'm riding even at highway speeds.

My business sometimes requires my help so this way I get to ride and leave my office, plus I get calls from family just to check in. I generally ride for hours with no calls.

electrical power kit for tankbag

Anyone have a solution for charging a cell phone on the bike? Particularly on a 1200RT ? I realize you can use a standard car charger with the 12V male plug and then feed that into a female adapter for the BMW 12V plug which can go into one of the outlets.

There's a BMW tankbag power kit I found listed here:

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/tank-electrification-p-444.html

I'm interested in doing the same thing -- I've been checking out the RKA comm bag, but I think I'd prefer something simpler with a tankbag of my choice. I know I recently viewed some tankbag electrical power accessories -- maybe it was at the eastern beaver site

I electrified my tank bag with a fused female lighter socket. Phone & charger cord assy. are stored in there.There is a small connector that allows me to remove the tank bag from the bike.
You cannot simply connect the wires from the plug to 12V - the 'plug' has voltage reducing circuitry inside it.
Having phone contact allows me to take off mid afternoon for a blast (self employed) and stay in contact with my clients/office. I do pull over to take calls for safety reasons.

It's a little messy having the wiring dangling from the outlet and I was hoping for a solution to have a wire come from a hot lead and then perhaps feed into the tank bag where the phone could be charging. Can that male cigarette plug be simply cut off and then use the two exposed wires? Not sure what's inside that cigarette lighter plug such as a transformer to reduce voltage. That's all I need is to fry my iPhone.

Reason I'm asking is my phone stays connected by bluetooth to my Zumo and we often ride a full day. The charge should last a full day, but it could be one less thing to have to deal with by keeping it charged.

Appreciate any good advice.

I bought a Powerlet outlet and wired it into the glove box. It's not difficult to do and yields a secure, waterproof location to charge your phone or iPod. If it's more convenient, you could install a standard cigarette lighter.

Remove the right side bodywork and you'll see that the glovebox has a cover that comes off with three screws. It's then easy to remove the entire glovebox so you can drill it for the power outlet. I just pulled power from the accessory outlet on the left side of the bike.

I bought a Powerlet iPod power supply that has a nice right angle cord on it to charge my iPod. I plug a short BMW to cig. lighter converter cord into the Powerlet and our phone power supply into the other end. It's switched, so I don't have to worry about leaving a phone in there overnight and having it kill the battery.

I also used my glovebox as a spot to mount the Tessaract amp that feeds our Autocom. It was easy to run power to the amp and it also has a nice dry, secure spot to live.

I bought a Powerlet outlet and wired it into the glove box. It's not difficult to do and yields a secure, waterproof location to charge your phone or iPod. If it's more convenient, you could install a standard cigarette lighter.

Remove the right side bodywork and you'll see that the glovebox has a cover that comes off with three screws. It's then easy to remove the entire glovebox so you can drill it for the power outlet. I just pulled power from the accessory outlet on the left side of the bike.

I bought a Powerlet iPod power supply that has a nice right angle cord on it to charge my iPod. I plug a short BMW to cig. lighter converter cord into the Powerlet and our phone power supply into the other end. It's switched, so I don't have to worry about leaving a phone in there overnight and having it kill the battery.

I also used my glovebox as a spot to mount the Tessaract amp that feeds our Autocom. It was easy to run power to the amp and it also has a nice dry, secure spot to live.

Dave,

Great info and solutions. Thanks ! Powerlet seems to have the best hook ups for what I'm looking to do. I like the idea of powering the glove compartment as well.

Not to hijack my own thread, but you hit on another issue which is using an axillary amp in conjunction with Autocom. I didn't realize you could do that. I thought maybe boosting the signal with an amp could fry the Autocom. The Tessaract looks to be pretty substantial and pretty darn pricey as well. I also came across another bike amp called Electric Avenue http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html which looks like it could come close for less money and a remote volume knob. The Tessaract also looks like you can boost other signals as well such as a Valintine.

Would love to hear more about this so perhaps I need to start a new thread.

Mike, No arguments about staying off the phone while riding and for numerous reasons. The only rationalization that might help others understand why I use my phone is the following: The phone stays in my pocket out of sight. When a call comes in, it shows up on my Zumo screen complete with caller I.D. I push one large button on the screen and from there both hands are on the bars the whole time including hanging up since it hangs up automatically. The audio comes in through my helmet and is crystal clear especially with ear plugs while the caller most often can't even tell I'm riding even at highway speeds.

Please let me encourage you to rethink this. Studies have shown that talking on the phone while operating a vehicle is similar to having a drink or two. And it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the phone is handheld or not - it's the distraction factor. Riding a motorcycle requires more concentration, less distraction, than does driving a car. Various places in this country and others have banned phone use while operating a vehicle. This isn't part of creeping nanny-statism but because vehicle operators using phones are a danger to themselves and to other road users.

My business sometimes requires my help so this way I get to ride and leave my office, plus I get calls from family just to check in. I generally ride for hours with no calls.

Please think about the advantages of getting away on the bike, listening only to the engine and the wind and the traffic and your own voices in your head. You can always call people back when you stop.

I realize this isn't the advice you asked for, and that unasked for advice is seldom appreciated, but I offer it in the spirit of cameraderie and concern for your safety.

Be careful out there.
- Dan

I installed a Powerlet kit in my BMW tankbag for the R12RT. It was easy to do. I can charge my phone, iPod, camera batteries, while I am riding. The only downside is that the CAN bus shuts down the power when I turn off the bike. All the accessories stay dry. I have a splitter that allows me to charge more than one accessory at a time. Just because you are charging doesn't mean you have to be using the phone, etc. while riding.

I bought a Powerlet outlet and wired it into the glove box.

So what exactly is a "Powerlet outlet"?

I know its a company name, but are users also calling the BMW style outlet (aka the John Deer outlet) a Powerlet outlet? And are they not differentiating it from a cigarette lighter outlet?

Powerlet doesn't seem to have a cigarette lighter outlet with a spring loaded cover. It seems the only outlets with a spring loaded cover are the BMW outlets.

on my R1150R I have a top-box. Inside the top box is a "cigarette lighter" style power socket. I use it to charge my cell phone (inside the top box) or my laptop (inside the top box). Enclosed, lockable, weather tight, etc.

I do like the idea of the fairing pocket for my K75RTP former cop bike. It would work better for the phone than the radio box on the back - it is already full of stuff like tools, and gloves, and the tire pump, etc. I'll see what I can do in the fairing pocket.

I know its a company name, but are users also calling the BMW style outlet (aka the John Deer outlet) a Powerlet outlet? And are they not differentiating it from a cigarette lighter outlet?

Powerlet doesn't seem to have a cigarette lighter outlet with a spring loaded cover. It seems the only outlets with a spring loaded cover are the BMW outlets.

The way I have always known it to be is:

DIN (deutches industrie national sp.?)Plug = BMW Plug = John Deere Plug = Powerlet Plug = Metric Power Plug = European Power Plug = Hella power plug. Same goes for the outlets.

BTW: Cambodian Tire carries a spring loaded cover cigarette lighter outlet in their RV section. Not that high a quality IMO.

Last edited:
tank bag kit

I bought a kit from Eastern Beaver. Here's the link:

I went all the way and bought a Centech AP2, and wired up all my gadgets too. I have a dual cigarette lighter adapter in my tank bag and charge my mobile and camera. I like to have it when I go on trips.

Also, I have a Autocom and have my phone hooked up. I have found that I am not a good driver when I try to use the phone when I ride. I stopped using the phone adapter. Jim at Eastern Beaver was great and helped me select the right parts and accessories for my needs.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/

They make primarily DIN outlets. They're cheaper than the BMW outlets and come with a harness so hooking them up is easier.

I picked up an automotive trailer power adapter that connects to the Powerlet adapter that came with my Battery Tender. It has the cigarette plug on one end and a two connector plug on the other with roughly 6" of wire between the two. I don't use it while in transit, but it serves the purpose of having a "backup" power supply to charge the cell phone.

Back