• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leaking Master Cylinder

Rundel

I have a 96 R1100R with 17k on it and with ABS. I've only had it since April so I'm still learning about it. I just noticed that the front master cylinder is starting to leak (the joy of buying a used bike). Is this rebuildable? If so what is necessary. Since it's ABS what are the tricks to bleeding the system. TIA.

Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit

Rundel, Hello, This is not an un-common problem. My friend had the same thing happen on a 97 R, he could not find a rebuild kit and replaced the master cylinder. I have recently heard a rebuild kit is available, the part number is: 32-72-2-332-037.

As far as bleending the brakes, even though it's ABS, bleed as normal via the valves on the calipers. However, it is possible to get air in the ABS modulator. And the only way to get it out is to bleed from the modulator bleed valves, under the gas tank. If your brakes feel normal after repairing the leak and bleeding the system, don't worry about this. Good luck and good riding!

I just replaced mine on a 96 R1100RT, 16k miles. Same problem, the lever start feeling spongy and thereafter started leaking. No particular problems in replacing the part, except for taking down the heated grips.

I couldn't find a rebuilt kit, so I got a new part ($200). Better use a vacuum bleeder ($20) to get the air out. Good luck.

update

As an update, I disassembled the master cylinder while still on the bike. The area behind the rubber outer seal was crudded up. I was able to pull the piston and the cylinder wall was pitted from the unchanged brake fluid. I attempted to resurface with a 3M scotch pad but it wasn't agressive enough. I then resorted to more power and got out the dremel tool. I used a small drum sander to smooth things out and then used felt polishing cones and wheels to slick things up. I then cleaned out the cylinder and re-assembled. The seals on the piston looked good.

As of today, four days latter, it has weeped a little but that may be the seals re-seating. After a ride tonight, no leaking. We''ll see what happens.

Sorry to light up an old thread. Where did you get the new Master Cylinder? From a dealer?
Thanks,

Master Cylinder

I got mine new from Beemer Boneyard. Then I had the old one rebuilt locally with a stainless steel lined cylinder. Haven't needed it yet but the rebuild cost about 80 bucks.

there are kits you can buy to overhaul these brake master cylinders and they are pretty straightforward to repair. did mine last winter with great results and I am a newbie at this stuff

Back