• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rocket III Touring - First Impressions

B

BobMielke

Up front I want to say this was a 15 mile ride. That makes this report extremely limited and should only be taken as a first report.

I picked the Rocket III Touring from Cascade Moto Classics in Beaverton, OR at 3:30 p.m. on December 30th. I was given a thorough description of all controls from starting to parking feature unique to Triumph. I really thought I was going to die as I pulled out of the parking lot and merge into rush hour traffic. Keep in mind I've got 29 years of riding experience and 330,000 miles under my belt. This bike's reputation turned out to be bigger than it's bite. Yes, it's very powerful, with 154 ft lbs of torque. Yes, it has 106 HP and weighs over 850 pounds. What I discovered instantly is a great clutch grab point that was a piece of cake to engage, a 5 speed transmission that was equally easy to shift & a set of brakes that would stop it all.

Laughers: Where's the shift lever, where's the rear brake lever. what gear am I in, what's my rpm? My BMW R1200RT is so drastically different than this power cruiser/tourer that I had to laugh at myself learning the ergonomics on the fly, in rush hour traffic. The turn signals are operated with one switch on the left side. I kept jabbing at the right side hunting for the BMW Right turn-signal. I kept jabbing my right foot around looking for the rear brake pedal that was, in reality, located a foot further toward the front wheel.

The bike was very comfortable, for a 15 mile ride. The bike was surprisingly nimble, once you get it moving. You don't need a gear shift indicator because the bike has so much torque you can feel comfortable at any speed in virtually any gear. It just keeps pulling, smoothly, effortlessly. I'm impressed.

Stock windshield too low. I'm 5'10" and my whole head is over the top of the screen. Wind noise new to me after riding a BMW with adjustable windshield. I've got heated hand-grips(optional) but no cruise control or anti-lock brakes. I've put my old Palm-Wrest on the Rocket & it helps a bunch. The clutch lever has no grab adjustment and has a very heavy spring. My left hand was stressed quickly.

I want to ride again, soon. Rain is in the forecast for the next few days. 1" to 2" are due with high winds. Got to postpone my next ride until things calm down a bit. I can't wait. More to follow.

445704457_29ZfP-L.jpg

445978830_QC9Zh-L.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking R III Bob, like the hard bags on yours:thumb Hope you get that longer ride soon...

I have ridden one a couple of times and have swapped during a ride from my RT and back again..always takes a few miles to make the transition! Just enjoy the ride,that's what it's about anyways!

Rocket III

Thanks Bob. I rented a new Harley Low Rider last summer for a few days of touring, so I can relate to the transition you're going through. I too was surprised at how nimble these big cruisers are.

Looks to me like stepping back in time about 30 years.

Except the engine in the III is bigger than the engine in our Saturn or the Nissan Frontier pickup I traded a year or so ago.

It does look a little tough on the passenger, though. Minimal comfort back there:)

Except the engine in the III is bigger than the engine in our Saturn or the Nissan Frontier pickup I traded a year or so ago.

It does look a little tough on the passenger, though. Minimal comfort back there:)

That's the way I like to treat my women. :thumb

Nice looking bike Bob... Can't wait to read more about it....

Triumph Rocket III Touring - 4.90 Gallon Fuel Tank
Triumph Rocket III Classic - 6.3 Gallon Fuel Tank

A touring model that holds less fuel than the "regular" model. I seems a model designed for touring would hold more fuel.

Triumph Rocket III Touring - 4.90 Gallon Fuel Tank
Triumph Rocket III Classic - 6.3 Gallon Fuel Tank

A touring model that holds less fuel than the "regular" model. I seems a model designed for touring would hold more fuel.

The only thing the touring model has in common with the pure cruiser is the tail light & front brake rotors. According to my owner's manual the Rocket III Touring holds 5.89 gallons and gets better gas mileage than the cruiser because of the de-tuning to 106 HP.

Impressive looking cruiser!

I've had a fair amount of 'cruisers' in my motorcycling years (Suzuki Volusia, Marauder and Honda VTX-1800R) - always had good luck going with a Memphis Shades aftermarket windshield.

Their mounting systems are rock-solid, and the shields (I prefer them BIG) were also quiet and stable at high speed.

Enjoy the new ride, and keep reporting back!

Back