• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

May go again, BIG BEND NP.

More than half way there:)

Left home successfully:). Cold ride through the Tahachapi Range in S.California and snowing @ 32 degrees on my bikes computer. I love that little snowflake that appears as a early warning freeze thing! Once into the Great Mojave Desert, thing get a little better to 45. 750 miles later I find myself at my daughters place in Tucson, late after dark. Alot of first day miles, so I am resting today and getting new tire installed at Iron Horse BMW for my front is getting thin. My ride into Copper Canyon my be postponed, due to warnings I have recieved today from Border Patrol guys and some other locals. The Mex Border is in distress with drug issues, bigger than normal it would seem. Travelling alone on a 20000$ m/c, would surely make me a target as a solo rider. I am going to the Big Bend NP for a look see and take some inventory on my Mexico plans and maybe another day, when more riders want to go as a group into Mexico.. Very cold nights into the 20's are frequent and days are quite nice, once the sun has reached mid morning. Tomorrow, I go towards BB N.Park,Texas and the ride continues(Wednesday)..Randy:thumb :usa

Made it:)....

My bike and the "Rio Grande" Highway, "Farm Road170", heading towards Big Bend N.P.. As you can see, the GSA has mega dirty tires from riding offroad through the Big Bend State Park, just prior to this photo. It was 18 degrees as I awoke in my tent at Van Horn, before riding this day. It warmed quickly to the 40's and 50's by mid morning:). I went on to rdie the Big Bend NP all day long, meeting some other BMW riders at Study Butte for lunch. We rode into the park together, but parted soon afterwards, as they had toured most of the place already. Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village are fine rides and I made nightfall in Marathon, TX...Voni, Paul, I kind of bypassed your place(circled it) and rode into Alpine and points north the next day. Fort Davis, McDonald Observatory, Guadalupe NP and Carlsbad Caverns and ended a long day at Artesia,N.Mex..Every night was in the teens, but days were very fine for riding. The GSA1200 sure does not like cold nights, regarding starting the engine! Next day(Saturday), I ride to my long time needed ride to Roswell for the "Alien" thing and look see. Added some neat stickers to my Jesse Bags along the way:). Ruidoso sightsee and on to Alamogordo and the White Sands NP for one of the neatest rides I've ever ridden. The white sands are incredible and you can ride on the sand for a few miles, as the park service has the sand groomed for such driving:):):). GSA, no issue! I ride on for Tucson and another days end at my daughters home and the Super Bowl Sunday. Home soon to N.California and another really good trip on the books:). Randy, Happy Trails:usa :thumb

Attachments

• small.JPG
    small.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 48
Farm Road 170 at "Lajitas"

The Rio Grande at this small town along its banks. The Farm Road 170 is a fine road to ride , with many ups and downs(steep) in places, with vistas worthy of a venture into this wonderful area. Sooo far off the beaten path, in the Horn of Texas and so many never see it. I really enjoyed the ride. Randy:clap

Attachments

• small4.JPG
    small4.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 47
Home;

Clovis, CA again. 3325 miles to Texas, N.Mexico and back, with "No Mexico" thrown in. Travel there is "unsafe" at the time I was there on the border last week. Gun/drug wars are ever present and solo riding, etc can be extremely hazardous, coming from several sources down there. I stayed put in the USA. I will see Copper Canyon someday, when hopefully things have settled a bit in that region. A great ride, however and I had a wonderful trip through the winter ladden(cold) SW. PS; Mexico has wonderful things/people to see and do and the above has been present for ages, but the wars have been excalated in recent weeks to real gun battles, right near the border cities and towns and I actually could hear and see some of this from my vantage points with our Border Patrol guys on high alert and armed also with M16's at the ready. They were my sources and surely a biased opinion, but I took their advice serious and cut my ride plans. A good thing:).Randy

Back