• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spline Lube

Re: white grease

nfgeezer said:
Just as a data point here's a pic of grease on the clutch splines
of the clutch on an 85 k100rs with about 53k on the odo. The surface rust is the result of the motor sitting exposed in my garage for a year or two. Splines looked great (they are now in
Cary Stotlands K11LT)

I bought this bike with 20K on it and am pretty sure
the PO did not do a spline lube, and I didn't either.

Question - this was what you saw when you opened it up?

If it was gray/white - it's the original factory grease.. Straburgs (or something like that spelling..)

Splines

I bought my 1987 k75s new, the dealer has told me to have the splines lubed every year! I think that's rediculous. I also complained since week one about moisture in the gauges, they consistenly refused to do anything for me - now I have bubbled up gauge faces, and the low gas light has been constantly on for years.

Re: Splines

K75Scape said:
I bought my 1987 k75s new, the dealer has told me to have the splines lubed every year! I think that's rediculous. I also complained since week one about moisture in the gauges, they consistenly refused to do anything for me - now I have bubbled up gauge faces, and the low gas light has been constantly on for years.

OK - nice that you could vent.

And glad to see you're still enjoying the bike 16 years later despite your problems. My first thought after reading your message about the dealer refusing to help you was why didn't you contact another dealer or BMW-NA while the bike was under warranty?

IF you have more than 20k on the K75 and you never experienced a clutch spline failure and you switch to Honda Moly-60 lube - you can easily go 30k between lube intervals. If that's a years riding - good for'ya..

I think your dealer was trying to save you an on-road breakdown by being conservative in his spline lube interval - but using the old BMW lube (#10) he wasn't being awfully conservative.

As far as the moisture in the gauges - this can be fixed, but since you're well out of warranty - it might be worth your fixing it yourself.

You can find clues on how to do this on the Internet BMW Riders website. While doing it - you might do the contact enhancements inside the pod - which may fix your low gas light. I'm not gonna go into the how-to on these items since they are well known issues and well documented elsewhere.

Or you can take the light out and install a Fuel+ while you have the pod apart.

newer K

I have a '99 K1200LT ......I'm thinking that this same thing needs done to the newer K's as well . Is the procedure pretty much the same as on the K1100's?(like listed on IBMWR's site) mine has about 67k on it and still shift real smooth , sounds like a good winter project? what do you guys think

Re: newer K

zzkvsl said:
I have a '99 K1200LT ......I'm thinking that this same thing needs done to the newer K's as well . Is the procedure pretty much the same as on the K1100's?(like listed on IBMWR's site) mine has about 67k on it and still shift real smooth , sounds like a good winter project? what do you guys think

AFAIK... there is no regular spline lube interval service requirement for the newer K bikes. It appears BMW has gotten these right finally.

If it ain't broke..

Back