• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lost Texan in MN

LostTexan

Lost Texan
MINNESOTA: Well, I went and did it. I bought a motorcyle. Wanted a BMW since I was stationed in Germany in '79. All you pros may think me crazy but I went in all the way and got a 2008 K1200GT. I have an old friend that has 130,000 milies on his BMW. He coached me and I'll take the course and start off slow. Will need your help too as I start this journey.

Well.... congratulations on your new Beemer...May you ride many thousands of safe miles...and welcome to the club....:thumb

Thanks! Bought it over Thanksgiving. My brother and brother-in-law have motorcyles. My grandfather had one and so did my Dad. Those old birds were justing having too much fun. Now all I have to do is wait for April to get here, the snow to melt and take the riding course. I took my 21 year old son to see it yesterday at the dealership. Sort of a Christmas present to myself. Told him that buying a new mortorcycle in the winter and then putting it into storage is sort of like going to a house of ill repute and only getting to sit in the parlor and listen to the piano player. I'm trying to talk him into taking the course with me and learning as well.

So you're currently living in Plymouth? Ever been to one of the BMWMOCM meetings?
It's a great group--even if I am a bit biased! :whistle
Congrats on your new ride. :thumb
-K

Yep I'm in Plymouth. I went to your MN Chapter site and can understand why you'd be biased. Congrats!
I haven't been to the MN chapter meeting yet. I have the paperwork to join on my desk now and it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Long? Not really. I-Cycle Derby is on Thursday http://www.travelersmc.com/icycle.shtml

I feel it's important to eat a healthy breakfast before partaking in such a challenge:

icycle2.jpg

The Winter Banquet is in January, the BMWMOCM Meet to Eats will be starting up soon, Aerostich Trip will likely be in February or early March.....LOTS to do!

Again, welcome.
-K (2009 BMWMOCM President-elect)

Hello from the border of Ont/Mn. I'm not in Minnesota,but can see it from where I'm sitting,just'cross the river.I'm 300 miles north of Mpls,an easy 5 hour ride,wishin'everyone a Happy New Year....:thumb

Huh! I didn't know there was a Plymouth in MN. When I head back to Ohio to visit family, I pass within a half dozen miles of Plymouth, WI, Plymouth, IN, and Plymouth, OH. I've always thought it would be kinda' cool to drive a Roadrunner ('Cuda, 340 Duster, or some other appropriate Plymouth) on a tour of Plymouths ... ;)

I can tell that I'll be having a great time. Should have bought a BMW 20 years ago. What I've been missing, I now have time to make up.... I go up to Ontario once a year to do a bit of lake trout fising on Crow Lake. Maybe next year I'll have my son pull the boat and I'll cruise up on my new bike!

I go up to Ontario once a year to do a bit of lake trout fising on Crow Lake. Maybe next year I'll have my son pull the boat and I'll cruise up on my new bike!

Is this the Crow Lake that's just a little north of Nestor Falls, ON? I used to go to "Muskie Bay Camp," when it was a fish camp. Now it's a "resort," and I've been summarily priced out.

I think that's the one. My in-laws went to "Crawfords Resort" for around 50(+) years. It's been bought out and is now called "Boreal Bay Lodge". We just started going to "Allen's Crow Lake Lodge". Little nicer, cleaner, cheaper. Huge lake, about 15 miles wide. We go on either Memorial Day or Labor Day each year and fish for lake trout. Don't see 1/2 dozen boats all day. I can leave home, drive 7 hours and have my boat in the water. My 87 year old Mom (from Texas) came up and caught a 45 inch Muskie and I thought we'd both just about died! This new year I'm thinking of letting my son haul the boat while I'll drive up on my new beemer!

Last edited:
Lost -

Minnesota has a number of great rides for you to discover when the snow, ice, slush and salt eventually go away. By May - I promise.

Highway 61 up the North Shore to Canada is great (be sure to stop for Blueberry pie at Betty's Pies) - Highway 1 off of 61 to Ely is made for motorcycles. (Watch out for moose, however).

The River Road south along the Mississippi to Winonah from the Cities is nice too.

Signed -
A former Minnesotan.

Yea, the river road from Lake City south to LaCrosse is a beautiful ride. Riding up into the bluffs makes up for the lack of twisities in the rest of the state.

LostTexan,
Hello from Crystal, right next to Plymouth. I agree, there are plenty of great rides in MN. Last summer we discovered the "alphabet" roads in Wisconsin. I'd always heard about them, but WOW! Thought I'd died and gone to motorcycling heaven. :brad
-Penny

I really appreciate all the help here. Keep 'em coming, because I'm making a list! Maybe a list like this would be helpful to others in MN.

LostTexan,
Hello from Crystal, right next to Plymouth. I agree, there are plenty of great rides in MN. Last summer we discovered the "alphabet" roads in Wisconsin. I'd always heard about them, but WOW! Thought I'd died and gone to motorcycling heaven. :brad
-Penny

Hey--I work in Plymouth and grew up in Crystal.

You can't go wrong with the alphabet roads. Some good ridin' there.
I like to pick up Stagecoach Road (east of Woodbury) to Afton, then run down to 10, east to Prescott, then run east to Cty. O--which is one of my favorite roads.
From there you can just keep riding the alphabet until it's time to wander back.
I really need to put a map together sometime.

The BMWMOCM banquet was tonight. I've uploaded pics, but I really should go to bed now.

-K

Last edited:
Back