• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800ST vs. R1150R

Servo brakes?! On an R1100S Boxer Prep? I have the exact same bike, '04, but no servo brakes. Would like to ask where you got the "tank" side pads?

Sorry to get this off topic but I figured I could quickly answer Andy. There are actually a couple different versions of the R1100S in 04. Earlier versions were different such as light models and so weren't the 05 Boxercup Replika's.

If it has ABS in 04, then it has the servo brakes. Also the Replika and Preps have the sport shock, the spring will be yellow and not blue(some people swapped them out). The Replika's also came stock with the Laser Exhaust(the 2 into 1 model).

In 04 you could have the following options:
Boxercup Replika with ABS and Heated Grips and 5.5" rear rim
Boxercup Replika without ABS but with Heated Grips and 5.5" rear rim
Boxercup Replika without ABS and without Heated Grips with 5.5" rear rim

R1100S Prep without ABS without Heated Grips with 5.5" rear rim
R1100S without ABS with Heated Grips with 5.5" rear rim (have seen it!)
R1100S with ABS without Heated Grips with 5.5" rear rim.
R1100S with ABS with Heated Grips without 5.5" rear rim. (Mine)

There are a couple of odd balls in there also that seem to come up here and there but these are the ones I know for sure.

I wanted to switch to the 5.5 inch rear rim on my bike but it is really hard to find a yellow one. Then I thought of having a silver one powder coated to match but BMW made some small changes through out the years that make some of the rear wheels not match up correctly. Plus the wider the rim the slower the turn in and out of turns. I am not at racing caliber yet so the 5" of rim isn't affecting me yet. Plus you can drag your cylinders with either rim!

I don't remember where I got my pads but I think they are CSS. They come with the sides, and one that goes in front of your junk.

If you have any other questions, PM me just so we don't jack this guys thread anymore, OK.

Thanks

mlucas1, I apologize for my bad manners. I'm fairly new to this but now have the PM function figured out. The brakes on my R1100S are non-ABS non-servo and are very good. I do worry about the reports of oilhead final drive problems but who knows, I may never have one. Did have to replace transmission seals on the clutch side at 12,000. Haven't ridden an 800ST but sat on one today, feels tiny.

Fred,

How did you edit my post?????? And why did you edit my post?

Was there a server glitch or something and it edited my last post instead of yours?
klennop,

I only just revisited this thread, and I was doing a double take at that post as well, because it had your name on it. I thought you were quoting me - until I got to your subsequent post. Then it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing things.

This was two days ago so I can't sure of the scenario, but I think it can only have been my fault and not the computer's. I was posting and somehow edited your post instead of posting as a subsequent post. I do apologize.

Fred

Haven't ridden an 800ST but sat on one today, feels tiny.

It is tiny and if it feels tiny you probably look big on it!:laugh I had mentioned that in an earlier post so it is nice to see another person with the same feeling. However did you also notice how much lighter it is? You should take it for a ride and see how you like it compared to your S, then you could come back with a report on it. Who knows you may just be trading in your R for a F!

NAH!!!! We have the best looking 1100S's made in my opinion!:brad

Haven't ridden an 800ST but sat on one today, feels tiny.

I guess it's all relative... I'm 6' & 200lbs, and my R1200ST feels fat, it's the porkiest bike I've ever owned and likely ever will. My wife's F800ST feels light and narrow, and better balanced. I'd even consider it a bit "rangy" in length compared to more sporting bikes I've ridden. I've always preferred standards and sport bikes, and will likely go back to one when I find the right deal on the right model.

I don't understand the obsession with size, and how a rider looks on a bike. Can you see yourself on a bike? Just because no one can see me grinning ear to ear inside my full face helmet doesn't take anything away from the feeling.

:bikes

I like my 03 R1150R. I really wouldn't want a bike much lighter because I don't enjoy being blown around in cross winds when I'm on a two lane road in Mexico. I think the R1150R is well balanced.

And Jeff where do you live now. Hopefully somewhere with some nice curvey roads and curvey women for that matter.
Mark

Hey Mark,

I've been living in the Boston area since the early 80's. I ride up through New Hampshire and Vermont for excellent curvy roads. And I have no complaints about my wife's excellent curves. :)

The 800ST is an awesome bike.

Best,
Jeff

I guess it's all relative... I'm 6' & 200lbs, and my R1200ST feels fat, it's the porkiest bike I've ever owned and likely ever will. My wife's F800ST feels light and narrow, and better balanced. I'd even consider it a bit "rangy" in length compared to more sporting bikes I've ridden. I've always preferred standards and sport bikes, and will likely go back to one when I find the right deal on the right model.

I don't understand the obsession with size, and how a rider looks on a bike. Can you see yourself on a bike? Just because no one can see me grinning ear to ear inside my full face helmet doesn't take anything away from the feeling.

:bikes

I don't think it has that much to do with how you look on a bike. My 1100S just feels better width wise, knee, foot placement compared to the 800S. I also feel like I am towering over the bike, kind of like a clown riding one of those little bikes at a circus. You have to admit you have seen someone that just doesn't look like they fit on a bike and they should have got something bigger. Like these guys!

Attachments

• fat-twins.jpg
    fat-twins.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 100
I own a 2004 R1150R, and extensively rode all versions of the F800 series before deciding. A few things to consider. First, I'm short, just under 5'8", and comfort is a big consideration for me. The ST seemed to fit better, at first. But I modified the R1150R handlebars to be both lower and closer to me using a commercially available part. It made a big difference. I also prefer the more upright R seating position. The ST puts more weight on the wrists - not too bad at first, but gets old during 400 mile days. I then added the small BMW windscreen to the R, and it keeps the air off my chest, kind of like the ST does. I don't like the helmet buffeting, so I'll trim the windscreen down a bit.

You didn't mention which year your R1150R is, but from 2004 on the twin spark plug setup gets rid of the surging problem - another plus for the R model. But the biggest point to me is the constant torque of the R engine, far different from the ST. I typically ride at 4,000 RPMs and I always have a nice torque reserve on tap - it comes in handy in city driving. It also provides a lot of engine braking, useful again in city driving. The ST had far less engine braking.

Add to that the more useful bags on the R, more comfortable ride (at least to me - I like the R suspension setup), more comfortable passenger seat, and the more planted feel on the highway, and the modest extra weight doesn't seem to matter much any more. It did take some time to get used to the shaft torque, but it's no big deal now.

Also, I don't have ABS brakes, so I don't have the grabby feel that the boosted system may create. It is also critical that you change brake fluid regularly in the ABS model or the grabby feeling will get worse.

By the way, I sold my Honda VFR to buy the R1150R. The VFR is often compared to the ST, and many reviews find the ST at least as good or better than the VFR. I don't agree at all - I think the VFR is a far more enjoyable ride, especially at higher RPMs. Some dislike the VFR engine when it moves to 4 valve from 2 valve operation - I think it is great. The stories of over-revving in turns just means that the rider didn't know how to setup for an aggressive turn. With the VFR I wore out the tire "whiskers" in the first 100 miles. I didn't feel that confident cranking the ST over to the limit. The VFR had better lighting, more comfort and better luggage space. I also liked the anniversary colors I had (red/white/blue) more than the BMW ST choices.

Regardless of what you select, you'll get a solid motorcycle. Try them out and decide.

I am looking forward to the new 800R naked model. I now own a 1150R and I love it. I love the looks, performance, comfort. I tried an ST on for size yesterday at the dealer and it does feel small. I guess I've grown accustomed to those big jugs sticking out the sides of the cases. But, from the pictures I've seen, the 800R has the right visuals for me.

A note about grabby ABS: After doing a complete bleed of the brakes and ABS unit, the brakes on my 1150R improved greatly in feel and action.

Back