• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Comfort windshield for K1200RS

K

kdcord

Can I get an experienced opinion on the merits or minuses of the comfort shield. I am a new owner and to happy to be objective about the stock one. I have a 99 1200RS. Thanks and happy holidays

I owned a 99 KRS. Great bike. Congratulations. The "comfort" of the comfort screen in a way will depend on your height. I placed it on the bike and for my 6'4" frame it just introduced more buffeting and dirty air. The air flow was cleaner with the lower stock screen. Subjectively, preferred the appearance of the lower screen.

Just another option

Best of the season, I have a 2004 k1200rs and have the comfort risers. As well I have the stock windshield, comfort windshield and a monstrous rather huge windshield that I inherited from the previous owner. I started off using the stock windshield but have used the comfort shield for about the last 10,000 miles. I don't notice all that much difference in handling or buffeting but it is more protective in cold weather and rain. In warm weather it is manageable. Switching windshields only takes a few minutes, no big deal. I argue with myself regarding the appearence, but hey, it looks great with either. Thought a tinted one might make me argue more, but again I'm sure it would still be the brand of the bike, that really does it for me.

Thanks guys, just the kind of experience I was looking for. Happy holidays

I have both the comfort and the sport windscreens. The comfort screen will keep the wind off your body, which is good for long days in the saddle or cold weather, but its pretty noisy. the small sport screen is slightly less noisy, and you really feel the wind hitting you if its cold or rainy. the best combination I've come up with is to use a Laminar Lip for the comfort screen. It made a HUGE difference and it cost 1/3 the price of an aftermarket screen. You may want to try one on your sport screen and see if it helps.

My 2

I have 118,000 on my '00 RS. I started with the stock, tried the comfort and then the Aeroflow. I found the comfort screen helped a tad in cooler weather, but not much. More buffeting, preferred the stock for nice weather. I was riding in 35-40 weather in the mornings going to work, so ended up trying the Aeroflow, got a shorter version vs taller. That, along with the hand guards for the cruiser were the ticket for pretty cold days and for the long trips. As said above, changing out is easy, even with the full height ('lost the first Aeroflow in a move and found it when I got the second installed) screen. Only 5-ten minutes max to change from stock to touring mode. For the price the comfrot was a waste for me, but worked for a buddy.
Jim
Mendocino

Thanks, i will look up the airflow. The hand guards you mentioned. are they the little upper fairing extensions?

I have a 2002 KRS and added the comfort screen, GT-style wings (in black) and Barbacks purchased through Pirates Lair. I am running this setup year-round and have been pleased overall. When I have the screen in the lower position, my handle bars will contact the sides of the screen at full lock due to the Barbacks. It's a minor hassle that I have learned to live with. I'm about 6' tall and the noise and buffeting isn't too bad but noticeable. I have thought of adding the Laminar lip but have not been able to find it yet. All the above changes were driven by the desire for more comfort as, at 57 and with some arthritis and mild carpal tunnel issues, this set up lends itself to a much more pleasant long-distance ride.

The hand guards I referred to are actually for the Cruiser model. They attach, as all Aeroflow products it seems, with the industrial hook and loop type fasteners onto the brake and clutch fluid master cylinders. These parts on the K12 are essentially the same as on the cruiser, so they fit. Aeroflow does sell extensions that go along the side of the fairing just aft of the mirrors for the early K12s. I don't have them, but they would help with keeping the wind off your midsection, not sure if they really help on the hands. I have modified my hand guards to clear the body work and as a result they don't protect as well as they did before the cutting, but still are way better at 35 degrees than just hands in the air on the heated grips.
Jim
Mendocino

Back