• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Abandoned, run down, forgotten... post your pics!

Restored train station in Moravia, Iowa. There are a lot of old stations all over the country, some restored some not. A part of our past and maybe again, our future?

4278160915_785f293721.jpg

The US hates history. If the rail industry comes back, they'll tear down the old stations for a new shiny replacement.

depends on the station

this station in Worcester MA was abandoned for ages. it was restored less than 10 years ago. sometimes they're worth restoring, sometimes they aren't. unfortunately, many of the old buildings just don't meet the requirements of modern legislation.

worcester100xn9.jpg

depends on the station

this station in Worcester MA was abandoned for ages. it was restored less than 10 years ago. sometimes they're worth restoring, sometimes they aren't. unfortunately, many of the old buildings just don't meet the requirements of modern legislation.

Do trains still run there?

The beautiful Union Station in St Louis was restored.. as a mall. No trains. The Amtrak/Greyhound station down the street is notoriously hideous.

The Eads bridge was partially (in my opinion) restored, no real trains, but the MetroLink does run on it. Finally put traffic back on it, too.

This picture and the next are a couple of my favorites from our 2009 Rally tour. Taken in Harpers Ferry, WV.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 449
Main street in a southern Iowa town. Typical of many small towns these days. Dying small towns dot the landscape of America.
JD

4300038707_78b4a95945.jpg

Gettin' 'er runnin'

Code:

Sometimes a little more than grit and faith are required....

Attachments

• Dad, Lee and Eduardo starting car.jpg
    Dad, Lee and Eduardo starting car.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 394
Bisbee, AZ a mining town that has been resurected.

Jerome's slowly on its way back, thankfully. Although, after 5pm when all the tourists leave, the place goes back to being a ghost town. Eating a fancy dinner atop the mountain at the Asylum Restaurant overlooking the Verde Valley as a storm rolled in is not something I'll forget any time soon.

Old "Hotel Stuart" in Iowa. Close to the now defunct passenger rail line. Probably used by them and perhaps rail employees. I am guessing it last operated in the 50's. Earl 60's at the latest. My old '78 RS is under the shade tree.

4316380428_6b02d15424.jpg

Back