• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F800 Rt

roy

Seems like the R-RT is a popular model and I was just curious to see if any one has ever heard a whisper about BMW considering an RT version of the F800. Not sure if would be a big hit, but I might consider one.

My thoughts are based on the fact that the K75 was a popular model and the F800 might be also. Enough of the power wars give me some thing that is economical to operate and reasonably comfortable for days ride.

rambling over

Roy

I would personally think if they did an 800RT, it would hurt the 1200RT sales. Plus I think it would be a lot of strain on the 800 motor with 2 people, gear, and then the normal weight of the RT including a larger alternator sucking off of the motor.

I highly doubt an 800RT, but who knows?

I have to agree

I have to agree here, the F800ST is an excellent bike, I love mine, but to make it a RT style bike would defeat its design. The thing that makes the F800ST work is its light weight and good HP to weight (as well as torque), you start adding all the RT goodies to this bike and it will lose its beauty. The ST configuration is great and fits a niche that is not really addressed by the other manufactures. To make it an RT would require it to compete in a class that really is over crowded already. I tour already with mine, and its light weight and handling works fine as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Plus I think it would be a lot of strain on the 800 motor with 2 people, gear, and then the normal weight of the RT

I think the world is ready for an almost fully dressed 600-800cc bike. I have a r12gs and a r1150rt and I am constantly looking for a nice k75 for both cross country and around town riding. There was a time when two folks packed up their 400 or 500cc bike and took off cross country on vacation.
I know quite a few folks who want a full dress bike, but don't want the weight of a electra glide, or a gold wing, or even a k12lt. YMMV
max

I would personally think if they did an 800RT, it would hurt the 1200RT sales. Plus I think it would be a lot of strain on the 800 motor with 2 people, gear, and then the normal weight of the RT including a larger alternator sucking off of the motor.

I think you hit the major reason with it would largely cannibalize an existing bike's market instead of expanding the sales base for BMW. I agree with the list of design obstacles but I think they could be overcome. The main point is I don't see the result of that design process generating enough new sales to justify it.

The F800 makes a couple more horsepower than the R1150R/R1150GS and is a hundred pounds lighter. No strain on the F8 motor at all.

My wife prefers the F800ST to the R1150R for touring comfort. Bigger is not always better.

Thanks for the replys folks.

Just a couple of comments from the replies.

If BMW is worried about an F800RT taking market share from the R1200RT why are they building F800 GS models? wouldn't that have the same effect on the 1200GS?

Like Maxcycles stated: There is a market segment looking for a mid sized tourer. I own a 1200 LT and I can see where this bike would be a real handfull for shorter or weaker people. (it is a handfull for me at times) By weaker, I mean people who for some reason have limited leg strength, be it age, or a medical condition.

I don't see that having a mid-sized tourer would detract from BMW sales, I see it may increase them by getting the segment that wants a mid sized bike.

Roy

I've wondered if BMW would build a F800RT. Personally I think it has the potential to be a good seller. It would certainly need to be capable of "loaded down, two-up touring" but I believe it's main focus should be a little different. And now I put on my "David Robb hat":

The 2010 R800RT will be lighter and less expensive than the R12RT. It will appeal to a wide variety of riders. These will include solo touring, older seasoned riders down-sizing from heavier Gold Wings, GT's, and LT's, women, new touring riders, and commuters.
Adjustable ergonomics to fit such a wide spectrum will include multi position seats, handlebars, windshield, and foot pegs including shift and brake levers. Built-in mounting docks will allow factory quick-removable back-rest, trunk, tank bag, and full size saddlebags. The muffler will be lowered to allow this. The F800RT fairing will offer protection from the wind and elements similar to the K13GT and approaching that of the R12RT. It will also incorporate storage compartments for your papers, glasses, Glock :D , etc. Usable gas capacity is increased to 5.8 gallons. Final drive will be belt. The transmission ratios will be changed. In comparison to the lighter and sportier ST, the RT will have a lower (active) first for starting out, and such times when 2-up loaded down on a steep incline. Sixth is now 6% taller allowing for optimum mpg and more relaxed cruising.

I've wondered if BMW would build a F800RT. Personally I think it has the potential to be a good seller. It would certainly need to be capable of "loaded down, two-up touring" but I believe it's main focus should be a little different. And now I put on my "David Robb hat":

The 2010 R800RT will be lighter and less expensive than the R12RT. It will appeal to a wide variety of riders. These will include solo touring, older seasoned riders down-sizing from heavier Gold Wings, GT's, and LT's, women, new touring riders, and commuters.
Adjustable ergonomics to fit such a wide spectrum will include multi position seats, handlebars, windshield, and foot pegs including shift and brake levers. Built-in mounting docks will allow factory quick-removable back-rest, trunk, tank bag, and full size saddlebags. The muffler will be lowered to allow this. The F800RT fairing will offer protection from the wind and elements similar to the K13GT and approaching that of the R12RT. It will also incorporate storage compartments for your papers, glasses, Glock :D , etc. Usable gas capacity is increased to 5.8 gallons. Final drive will be belt. The transmission ratios will be changed. In comparison to the lighter and sportier ST, the RT will have a lower (active) first for starting out, and such times when 2-up loaded down on a steep incline. Sixth is now 6% taller allowing for optimum mpg and more relaxed cruising.

Where should I send the down payment????

I think the above described bike would be dynamite. the 800 engine has almost the same HP and torque as the original K100. I had an 87 K100LT that had all the power I needed even 2 up.

The St market is constantly increasing power and top speed. Who tours at 150 mph? The F800 ST is not geezer friendly enough for me.

Ralph Sims

Give them time folks... All the derivative models in a new range usually are phased in over a few years. If you want it, tell your dealer, answer the surveys, contact the company. Let them know what the people want.
By the way, my wife's ST averages around 57-62 mpg. I would think a slightly heavier RT with different gearing would probably still deliver mid-fifties mileage.
Imagine how popular a long distance tourer could be, if someone were to build it?

I would be interested in something like an F800RT. The ST is close but too uncomfortable. The bars are too low and the pegs too high. I need a more upright riding position. Sure, I can add bar risers to the ST but I bet I need 3 inches or more to move the bars to a position that is comfortable for me. And it becomes a hassle to get longer cables and wiring. Peg lowering kits are available for the ST but I doubt if they would lower the pegs enough for my long legs.

I rarely tour but an RT type bike is perfect for my riding style. I can load it up for a tour if I want, but it is still small enough and light enough for commuting and everyday use.

I suppose the GS is an option. The riding position is perfect for me but I never liked the looks of a GS type of motorcycle. I think I can wait and see what BMW will do.

I would give the F800R some consideration. Is it a sure thing for the U. S. market? Even if it is, roadster versions from BMW usually have lower bars and higher pegs so that may disqualify it for me.

I agree - an 800RT could certainly work and would be attractive to me - unless BMW actually made a modern version of the R100RT. The F800 engine produce as more power than the venerable airhead engine, and I'm sure that it could do well. No it won't compete with a GoldWing, but I don't want a Goldwing/Queen Mary class road-ship, and BMW already has the K-LT (Light Tank) model to compete with that...

No offense intended, but I want a motorcycle that has a decent amount of power, but doesn't have to hit 150 mph and has to weigh less than 700 pounds and be able to carry 400 pounds. It does have to handle well in parking lots, my garage, and on backroads, and have good range/gas mileage and have a usable centerstand and not be totally enclosed in 3-layers of tupperware.

BMW to Honda

I sold my 04 R1150RT and bought a Honda ST1300 about a year ago. The reason for the change is I had several problems with the RT, ABS failure, oil leak in transmission, etc. I sold the bike just prior to the warranty expiration.

I will not consider another R bike until BMW solves the final drive issue. However, I would buy an F800RT in a heartbeat. Hopefully, 2010 will be the year.

Added note: Although I had many problems with the RT, the Grand Rapids, Michigan dealer was very helpful and professional. I would gladly buy there again. I've never dealt with a finer dealer. I do love this Honda ST1300, although it just doesn't have the soul of a BMW.

F 800 rt

The Honda Deauville is (or was ?) a very nice mid - size tourer.
I think BMW could hit a larger market with an F 800 RT.
Besides, in the 80's there was an R 80 RT. This F could be much better.

Back