• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The state of Rhode Island

Lil Rhody is also home to the largest concentration of the best sailors in the U.S. if not the world and we're home to U.S. Sailing the governing body of the sport.

Oh yeah Rhode Island thats where the americas cup is... Oh wait it isn't.

Oh yeah Rhode Island thats where the americas cup is... Oh wait it isn't.

I'm not sure I follow you.

The America's Cup never resided in Rhode Island, it spent 132 years on 44th Street in New York City.

Now if you are talking about a few weeks of sailboat racing out on the bay the AC races have long since been replaced by events that are more popular with the folks that live here.

Well, Rhode Island is the only state in which Voni and I have ever been refused accomodations at a commercial campground simply because we were riding motorcycles. Since it was about to rain and just getting dark, it didn't make me have very fond memories of Rhode Island. I won't tar the whole state with that bad brush, but ..... it left a sour taste nonetheless.

Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle...

The open house this past summer, Paul? In the rain? If so, that was me on the yellow GS winning the slow race...

... Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.

All-time record high snowfall is 105.2" (almost 9 feet) in 1994-5; and the all-time record low is a measly 4.6" in 1996-7. Average is 34.5" per season. It's not a whole lot of snow but the real kicker is the huge inconsistency from season to season. I've had whole seasons go by without ever putting the snowplow on the tractor; and I've had seasons where I plowed upwards of 15 times. Snow generally doesn't stay around all that long. During real cold snaps that would preserve snow, we usually don't get snow... the coldest weather tends to be dry and clear. When winter precip comes, the temperature tends to be closer to 32F and changeover between snow, rain, and sleet is fairly common. The greatest chance of snow lingering more than a few days comes for only a few weeks between mid-Jan thru mid-Feb, when average temperature bottoms out.

You CAN be a Rounder in RI. (I'm not)

Summertime can be inconsistent, as well. We've had summers with half a dozen "heat waves" (defined as three straight days over 90F) and we've had summers with none. When the heat comes, it's always accompanied by high humidity. When I started visiting the desert southwest, I learned the real meaning of the old cliche "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". Boy is that ever true. I'll take 105F in Moab over 90F in Providence ANY TIME.

The real beauty, of course, is the spring and the fall. The transition between the seasonal extremes described above is pretty gentle, and although it can sometimes be wet (with an average of about 3.5" of precip in each month of the year), it can be gorgeous too. Fall foliage in the hilly northwestern part of the state (which is where I live; yeah I know it says "Sterling CT") is stunning.

Rhode Island has...........

Tiverton is inland. :scratch

Rhode Island Rocks!

Here in Bristol we have an industrial park with the following:

One of the world's finest high end yacht builders (Americas Cup stuff)
One of the world's finest mast builders (Americas Cup stuff)
One of the builders of the world's fastest powerboats
All sorts of support companies for high end marine stuff.

Lil Rhody is also home to the largest concentration of the best sailors in the U.S. if not the world and we're home to U.S. Sailing the governing body of the sport.

Also in RI we have NUSC where things like torpedos are developed. Quonset hut and the PT boat? Yup, born and bread here in RI.

We got your Quahogs and stuffies too.

And one of the best things about Rhode Island?

We are not Mass*oles!

Rhode Island also has "Coffee Syrup":blah Delicious!!!!

I call it God's country...

Though I would love to live in a warmer climate that provides year-round riding, we in Rhode Island:

• generally don't get the BITTER cold as the upper mid-west and northern New England
  • generally don't experience the outrageous heat as the southwest
  • are not prone to earthquakes as much as the west
  • don't experience STRONG hurricanes as the southeast
  • have hills that make the area NON-conducive to tornadoes as the mid-west

Add to this the fact that we generally do not get too much snow annually, and it's a great place to live/work/play.

If you haven't been here, be sure to visit!!!:wave :buds

Just don't leave without having some coffee milk, and Del's frozen lemonade (the real stuff, not the powdered stuff)

Hi Razman10, We have a meetingt coming up in 2 weeks. Stop on by. Location is in the web sight located in my signature. Later :thumb

Thanks for the invite... I actually mailed my application to the group in December. I was waiting for confirmation before attending any meetings. I just confirmed a day or two ago that my info was received, so I SHOULD be there on the 9th.

The only GOTCHA is that a networking group I belong to has a GREAT topic that same night. I'm trying to get someone to record that meeting for me. That way I'll get both!:brow

Thanks for the invite... I actually mailed my application to the group in December. I was waiting for confirmation before attending any meetings. I just confirmed a day or two ago that my info was received, so I SHOULD be there on the 9th.

The only GOTCHA is that a networking group I belong to has a GREAT topic that same night. I'm trying to get someone to record that meeting for me. That way I'll get both!:brow

Thats great. I'll be the guy sellng the club stuff. introduce your self when you get there and welcome aboard..

I call it God's country...

Though I would love to live in a warmer climate that provides year-round riding, we in Rhode Island:

• generally don't get the BITTER cold as the upper mid-west and northern New England
  • generally don't experience the outrageous heat as the southwest
  • are not prone to earthquakes as much as the west
  • don't experience STRONG hurricanes as the southeast
  • have hills that make the area NON-conducive to tornadoes as the mid-west

Add to this the fact that we generally do not get too much snow annually, and it's a great place to live/work/play.

If you haven't been here, be sure to visit!!!:wave :buds

Just don't leave without having some coffee milk, and Del's frozen lemonade (the real stuff, not the powdered stuff)

Toss in some Gray's ice cream too!

Providence has three universities that are renowned internationally: Brown, Rhode Island School of Design, and Johnson&Wales. I don't mean to slight Providence College or Rhode Island College, also in Providence; I'm just not sure they have the same international stature. Moving outside Providence, but still in Rhode Island, you've got Bryant University, Salve Regina, and the University of Rhode Island (a "state" school but with international acclaim in some programs, oceanography for example)

Brown brings Ivy-League intellect, RISD brings a wealth of creativity, and J&W brings... FOOD! Their culinary program is among the very best. Not coincidentally, Providence has an abundance of fantasic restaurants.

Let's not forget the Speidel building in downtown Providence... it's the one George Reeves jumped over in the original Superman series!

I want to visit!

RI is one of four continental United states in which I have never been. I plan to visit in between the RA and MOA rallies. My Great Great Grandmother was a Rathbun who was one of the original families that settled Block Island. My plan was to go out onto Long Island, NY and take the ferry across to New London, CT. From there ride around in RI then back across CT and on to WV for the RA rally.
I'd like to take ferry for a day or partial day to Block Island but concerned about security of bike in the meantime. Any ideas? Advice?:dunno :type

Back