• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are they legal in all 50 states?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
I had a car make a left turn in front of me and the bike this past October (survived with no hit) and a couple of days ago while driving the car, at an intersection where I had the green light, a car apparently did not see me and made a right turn immediately in front of me.:banghead

This second incident got me to thinking that if a cage didn't see me when I was in my car, maybe I should consider a headlight modulator for the bike. So my question is, do you know if they are legal in all states or for that matter, all provinces? I haven't made a firm decision but at present I am considering this option.

AFAIK this is legal in all 50 states; can't say the same about the provinces. I suggest you visit the Kisan (sp) website for better information.
regards,
Mark

I had a car make a left turn in front of me and the bike this past October (survived with no hit) and a couple of days ago while driving the car, at an intersection where I had the green light, a car apparently did not see me and made a right turn immediately in front of me.:banghead

This second incident got me to thinking that if a cage didn't see me when I was in my car, maybe I should consider a headlight modulator for the bike. So my question is, do you know if they are legal in all states or for that matter, all provinces? I haven't made a firm decision but at present I am considering this option.

Legal or not, if you think they are effective, seems like an easy decision.............a possible ticket or a possible life in a wheel chair or worse...............

Modulators.

Modulators are not legal in all 50 states.
Have you ever had a bike or two behind you when you were driving or riding that were using modulators? My opinion is they are extremely annoyinng and I'm not saying they don't get you noticed. To me there are other options such as high visibility gear, more or better/brighter front lights or try driving with your high beams on, that definately gets you noticed by the cars in front and a lot of the time they will pull over even.

Kisan Ads Say Yes

I have seen plenty of references to the legality of the headlight modulators that Kisan makes. They are federally approved for daytime use. It was a federal law that made full time headlights on motorcycles required in the first place. Remember?
I think they are annoying too, but that is the point! If I end up getting one myself, I would switch it off in certain situations and would always carry a copy of the pertinent law with my paperwork for uninformed LEOs (just like I do for my carry permit).
After a close call last year, where I was apparently invisible, I took to riding with all 5 lights on in front. I know that is illegal some places but didn't care. I wanted to be seen.
I'm all for whatever it takes to be seen and a high viz jacket is on my wish list. For now the high viz vest will do.

I always thought the modulaters were more distracting than helpful...my opinion since others love them.

Heard of an incident in rain/dark where the truck ahead thought the motorcycle was flashing"clear to pull in" and caused an accident,injuring the operator who's name I will not mention, but they are a member here.

I added the "triangle" look to all my bikes and to date has been effective for visiblity by cagers...On same commute w/out them I routinely had people not seeing me, afterwards was never an issue as it had been. I used yellow bulbed MotoLites pictured here on a 1150R with the Kissan relay that turns the signals to running lights.

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 774
I have seen plenty of references to the legality of the headlight modulators that Kisan makes. They are federally approved for daytime use. It was a federal law that made full time headlights on motorcycles required in the first place. Remember?
I think they are annoying too, but that is the point! If I end up getting one myself, I would switch it off in certain situations and would always carry a copy of the pertinent law with my paperwork for uninformed LEOs (just like I do for my carry permit).
After a close call last year, where I was apparently invisible, I took to riding with all 5 lights on in front. I know that is illegal some places but didn't care. I wanted to be seen.
I'm all for whatever it takes to be seen and a high viz jacket is on my wish list. For now the high viz vest will do.

My GSA :D with ALL on!

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 817
I tend to dissagree that a high beam will help much in a situation where the vehicle pull out in front of, or turns in front of you. A single high beam head light will be more visible, but the down side is the brightness makes it difficult for the on coming driver to judge distance. It is a point source of light, with no other reference to aid in estimating the distance.

The best is modulation, or three points of light, i.e. the headlight and two driving lights located below; or both. If you have noticed in recent years, railroad locomotives all have three headlights, instead of just a single light. Too, as others have mentioned bright clothing is a big plus in the daytime, as is reflective material for night riding.

The best is modulation, or three points of light, i.e. the headlight and two driving lights located below; or both. If you have noticed in recent years, railroad locomotives all have three headlights, instead of just a single light. Too, as others have mentioned bright clothing is a big plus in the daytime, as is reflective material for night riding.

I have always ridden with the triangular light configuration. As well, I wear a white helmet and a hi viz vest.

Like many of you, I have always dismissed the modulator because of the annoyance factor. Even after nearly taking a hit by left turning van in October, the modulating headlamp was not on my radar. It was only this week when a van pulled out in front of my car as I approached a green light, that I have begun to really question the awareness of drivers to others on the road.

I have yet to make up my mind about the modulator for my bike, but I was curious about their legality on the North American roads. For now, I am thinking about this option over the winter.

Modulators are not legal in all 50 states.
Have you ever had a bike or two behind you when you were driving or riding that were using modulators? My opinion is they are extremely annoyinng and I'm not saying they don't get you noticed. To me there are other options such as high visibility gear, more or better/brighter front lights or try driving with your high beams on, that definately gets you noticed by the cars in front and a lot of the time they will pull over even.

Sorry to 'rain on your parade,' but FEDERAL LAW has held modulators to be LEGAL in all 50 states.

Federal DOT Ruling CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4 , if you wish to read up on it.

No state laws or local ordinances can supersede federal statutes.....ever.

My particular version is a Kisan, though www.bikerbuddy.net offers a nice integrated system (endorsed by the CHP).

I only employ it in heavy traffic (seems a waste of bulb life on a deserted interstate), but wouldn't ride without one. Has saved my butt more than once. Kisan provides more extensive verbage of the Federal Law, in their owner's manual. I carry a laminated copy of that page in the bike, should I need to prove their legality.

Last edited:
As stated by K Greewald, modulators ARE legal in all 50 states, so even when Barney pulls you over in Texas and tries to issue you a ticket, it is not a valid infraction. many riders will carry a copy of the fed statutes that clearly state that Fed law supersedes state law, and that the modulators ARE legal.
fwiw- i run a modulator on my KLR, tied to the hi beam (which is not very bright). Cars will often pull over when i'm behind them, thinking i'm some kind of cop or something. thank you!
of course, i also run HIDs and PIAA 1100Xs on my R1100S, and cars often pull over in the daytime when i'm running my hi beams behind them. That is apparently due to the drip from their melting rearview mirror is messing up the upholstery on their car.
in either case, i AM getting noticed. but with the HIDs, I can REAAAALLLLLYYY see at night! the modulator does nothing for that issue whatsoever.

..... It was only this week when a van pulled out in front of my car as I approached a green light, that I have begun to really question the awareness of drivers to others on the road.............

WOW, how long you been riding?? Either drivers where you reside are better trained/more conscientious, or you are one lucky guy.

I have ridden like I was invisible for over 30 years, I am not paranoid, but I trust my fate to my own actions/reactions.

P.S. I just looked and saw you live in Ontario............they are NUTS up there, especially on the QEW and 401. It is less traveled in the rural areas, but I don't get the sense that drivers skills are any better then here in Western NY.

Modulators again.

It may be an approved federal law and you all know how that transpiers in different states, even if you carry the statue with you. NY and the bikes that are ticketed in the HOV lanes which are protected by federal law, the legal? marijuana situation in CA. illegal by the feds, alright by the state. Be prepared for a ticket if you get stopped, then fight it in court.
I do know one of the towns in either KS or OK did put modulators on all their police bikes a while back and as thye stated so they were more visible, so go figure. :dunno

Bulbs.

I always thought the modulaters were more distracting than helpful...my opinion since others love them.

Heard of an incident in rain/dark where the truck ahead thought the motorcycle was flashing"clear to pull in" and caused an accident,injuring the operator who's name I will not mention, but they are a member here.

I added the "triangle" look to all my bikes and to date has been effective for visiblity by cagers...On same commute w/out them I routinely had people not seeing me, afterwards was never an issue as it had been. I used yellow bulbed MotoLites pictured here on a 1150R with the Kissan relay that turns the signals to running lights.

Steve, where did you purchase the yellow bulbs at?? They look like they would solve a lot of problems.

Like many of you, I have always dismissed the modulator because of the annoyance factor.

Same here.

In the few I've come across...it wouldn't be so bad if the annoyance factor made me aware, but for some reason, it seems to draw me into the on-coming lane...and I'm not kidding. Hypnotism...maybe.

"Heard of an incident in rain/dark where the truck ahead thought . . . "

That would mean the modulator's day/night sensor was either not working or disabled. If were disabled then it becomes and illegal device and you can be ticketed for having it active at night.

On the concept of bright lights in a triangular configuration, I was dating an optometrist several years ago and got a very good explanation of why this may be the best tool for conspicuity. The human eye/brain interface has the subconscious ability to judge distance and speed of an oncoming vehicle or object so long as it has two dimensions. In the case of a single headlight, the brain perceives that as one dimensional and makes it nearly impossible to judge distance or speed. However, with the triangular configuration you have two dimensions that the eye can see and the subconscious can detect the smallest of variations in an approaching vehicle even when we are not aware that it is happening. This occurs due to to optical illusion of the lights getting farther apart as they approach. That's why the three headlights all clumped together like you see on a lot of big cruisers are not nearly as effective for safety as are those that have as much separation as physically possible considering the size of the bike involved.

I also noted that some have multiple headlights, while it may not be enforced, I seem to remember a law (can't recall if it was state or fed) that limits bikes to no more than three headlights. I also think the are some restrictions on height above the ground (eg. those lower down may not count as part of the three higher up. ) I'll do some digging to see if I can find those laws. Of course, if you already have some low mounted driving lights, you probably have noted they don't do much for your ability to see at night. The big plus though is the afore-mentioned conspicuity it provides both day and night.

It may be an approved federal law and you all know how that transpiers in different states, even if you carry the statue with you. NY and the bikes that are ticketed in the HOV lanes which are protected by federal law, the legal? marijuana situation in CA. illegal by the feds, alright by the state. Be prepared for a ticket if you get stopped, then fight it in court.
I do know one of the towns in either KS or OK did put modulators on all their police bikes a while back and as thye stated so they were more visible, so go figure. :dunno

The Topeka Kansas Police Department has installed modulating headlights in all of their machines. Photo and story in the November issue of the American Motorcyclist.

The article doesnÔÇÖt say but one of the Officers had a rather nasty accident when a van made a left turn across his path resulting collision totaled bike and injured rider who is now back and riding again:dance

WOW, how long you been riding?? Either drivers where you reside are better trained/more conscientious, or you are one lucky guy.

I have ridden like I was invisible for over 30 years, I am not paranoid, but I trust my fate to my own actions/reactions.
I have only ridden for four summers or 90,000 km; so yes I am a newbie. Besides being very visible when I ride (white helmet, triangular light setup, hi viz vest), brakes covered and I ride anticipating what is going to happen before it does and make the necessary changes to not be part of a problem. I guess this is similar to your riding as if invisible. I also re-read David Hough's books each February / March.

My astonishment is how a car or van can become invisible to other drivers; hence the question of my visibility and safety on the bike really becomes an issue.

P.S. I just looked and saw you live in Ontario............they are NUTS up there, especially on the QEW and 401. It is less traveled in the rural areas, but I don't get the sense that drivers skills are any better then here in Western NY.
Overall I have found the American drivers to less aggressive and more courteous than Canadian drivers. Having said that, riding or driving on either the 410 or QEW is no big deal if you are observing traffic far in advance as well as frequently glancing in your rear view mirrors.

Back