• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

77 Rs $

2slowwheels

1. What is a totally restored 77RS worth? Front to back restoration everything in and out redone, runs and looks factory new?
2. What would you choose for a daily rider a 76 R90S or a 77RS. :scratch

BMW of Daytona used to advertise some 77RS bikes on the back of the MOA ON. As I recall, one was priced around $25k and the other about $10k. I think that the $25k bike was a pre-production (or other special edition bike). On the BMW Daytona website there remains a picture of one of these bikes, but it has been sold (no price shown).
http://www.bmwcyclesdaytona.com/vintage/

In May 2008 Bonhams sold a couple at prices of about $14k and $16k. See lot number 148 and 149. Note the bikes were advertised as being 1976, but we know better, right?
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publ...ItemNo=3885817&iSaleNo=16078&iSaleSectionNo=2
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publ...ItemNo=3885816&iSaleNo=16078&iSaleSectionNo=2

My 77RS is insured for an appraised value of $7k. It is shown below. I'm not saying that I would want to sell the bike, however!! :) :)
92ee4f78.jpg

I can't help you with the daily rider question as I've not ridden an R90S.

Last edited:
Those prices are insanely out of whack with reality IMO, but hey, I'd be the first to change if someone made an offer like that on my bike. Your RS is very sweet and will no doubt climb in value but I think your insured value is more realistic at the top end right now.

Weren't they the most expensive production bikes on the market in the day?

Would love to see the bike in the video of Ohio. :stick

Those prices are insanely out of whack with reality IMO, but hey, I'd be the first to change if someone made an offer like that on my bike.

I agree, but look at who is selling them. One will be overrun by "out of towners" with more money than sense during bike week, and the other is a boutique. There's nothing like a target rich environment to encourage pricing like that.
Charge by ability to pay - BMW has always done it with new bikes, it should be no surprise to see it happen with old ones.

Most airheads that actually sell are priced under $4000. There are, of course, exceptions based on based on mileage, condition, and the desireability of any given model. An exceptionally fine toaster, or R90S, or Last Edition, or GS might command a higher price.

What's a Restored '77 RS Worth?

Phaedrus_b_6_22_08.jpg
[/IMG]
1. What is a totally restored 77RS worth? Front to back restoration everything in and out redone, runs and looks factory new?

Hey, 2slow,

Your second question may be more important than the first.

When you say "daily rider" that could mean any number of different things. For example:

• Do you ride fifty miles (one way) to work, across the "badlands" in wind and rain or commute back & forth through "Mayberry" to your job at the college?

• Are you riding in an urban area like NYC or Houston or a little berg like Oshkosh, where I live?

• Do you ride "all-season" or are you a "fair-weather only" rider?

• Which of the two machines fits your physical "frame" better?

• Do you like being behind a "full" fairing?

I dearly love my '77RS (my THIRD one - (actually, my 2nd one was a '78) ) and I would not trade it for anything (except maybe a nice R90S!)

I have ridden them both and I love them both. I paid about 4K for my unrestored '77RS (about 6 years ago) and I believe you can still get a nice one for close to the same price. Unless you are hung-up on the '77 for sentimental reasons, consider ANY model RS. As far as I am concerned, they are ALL great machines!

I recently saw a '77 RS for sale on eBay, one owned by a museum. They were asking a premium price and described the machine very much like you did: "Front to back restoration everything in and out redone, runs and looks factory new..."

Well, the photos told a very different story and the bike did not sell (that time, anyway.) The bike wasn't that bad but it was a hell of a long way from the way it was described. When somebody claims "like new/original" you have to know what "like new/original looked like. Some of us were 'there' and some were not. If you weren't around when these were new - no crime there!

Just don't casually take someone's word for what new/original looks or runs like. You could be disappointed.

I also saw a VERY nice '77 R100S (eBay) recently which had a "buy it now" price of $4500 and had no takers. No bids at all.

That was basically an RS with an S-model fairing.

Folks seem to be willing to pay WAY more for an R90S than an R100S. Why? Nostalgia, I suppose. They are "almost" the same machine!

ANY Slash Six or Slash Seven is a great machine! If cost is no object, just find something in great condition and RIDE!

Your Dream Machine is OUT THERE, looking for YOU! Good luck.

I just LOVE my RS!

I think the $4-5.5k range for a good straight, low/mid mileage RS is a pretty strong deal from what I've seen. If you are selling an RS, someone offers you $7-10k and you hold out--well, that's when 2 fools met IMO. One for offering, one for not taking the offer.

It all comes down to what YOU want. I've been interested in an RT for a while now and I'd take a needy one because I enjoy learning how to take care of these beasts. My guess is that someone who'd buy a $10k RS, would pay a mechanic to do everything and miss out on the true enjoyment of these bikes.

$3-4k gets you a very nice, straight bike you can use daily, take to rallies, spitshine and set it in your living room. I can't afford to buy 10 bikes, but I like to know current market values. I'm also a computer geek, :type so I do write and run programs to scan craigslist, ebay, ibmwr.org, MOA, etc and try to keep pace of current prices. Orbitangel, now that's a solidly handsome looking RS. :thumb

If I stumble across a good deal, I'll know it that way. It's a sickness, I know, but my therapist (my R100) says I'm coming along just fine... :rofl

77rs

I've had 7 airheads, from /2's to RT's to the last R100R, and yes I so remember where and when I saw my first RS in 1977 ( I still fantasize). Just trying to get a handle on the price of a true, fist rate, restored RS. I've got a mile gobbler for those 4 day 3,500 mile trips, it just needs a stable mate and both my garage and myself are lonely without an airhead.:violin

I've got one, but it's not pristine...

I own a '77 R100RS. 40 mm pipes and carbs, it was manufactured in November of '76. I love riding it, I doubt I'll ever sell it. I doubt I'll ever restore it to factory original, either. It was painted black when I got it, and still is.

A gentleman that I know has restored a couple of '77 RS's. He does very good work. I know that he sold one for $13K plus a '73 R75 in trade. They're worth whatever someone's willing to pay.

To me, it's been an addicting motorcycle to ride. I can't really put my finger on it, I just know that it fits me perfectly in just about every way.

Love at First Sight

...yes I so remember where and when I saw my first RS in 1977 ( I still fantasize).

I remember the first time I saw one, sitting in the dealer's showroom. (For me, it was 1978.) It was love at first sight. It still IS!

Perfect Imperfection

I own a '77 R100RS. 40 mm pipes and carbs, it was manufactured in November of '76. I love riding it, I doubt I'll ever sell it.
I doubt I'll ever restore it to factory original, either.

Amen, Brother! I could have written these same comments myself. Mine has the big pipes and carbs too (non-CFO.)

My bike is also 11/76 manufacture, S/N 6180260. What's yours?

They're worth whatever someone's willing to pay.

Definitely.

To me, it's been an addicting motorcycle to ride. I can't really put my finger on it,
I just know that it fits me perfectly in just about every way.

I feel EXACTLY the same way about mine. Not a bike for everybody but it just fits me like a glove. I love it more every time I get on.

...wondering if Orbitangel leaves the keys in his... :bolt

I'm not sure my stature would agree with the position of an RS, an oft debated topic. Of the modern airheads, I like that look probably the best though. Of the older ones, eeegads, I can't decide.

Just sold this one for $7000 with 40,000 miles. It was restored in the mid 90's(paint,engine other details) I paid $7500 at the time, the bike had 28,00 miles
P1050655.jpg

When I sold it 7 years later I had added the tank bag, paint chips, scratches, and about 12,000 miles.
WIth the money, I got this. Best move I have made bike wise in a while. While it is not as stunning visually as the RS, the R100R handles, shifts, turns, rides and does everything so much better(except go 120 mph in a straight line)
SANY0518_02.jpg

I've been riding 70's moto guzzi's and bmw for years.
r75rt.jpg

P1040351.jpg

bagsshieldRT.jpg

I'll never go back to those bikes after riding the R100R
Still have the /5 for long trips and cold weather riding...

Leo Goff and I did the work on Double's D's '77 RS back in the 90's. It was bought new in Memphis by the late Art Grisanti. Got the chance to go on quite a few rides with Art on that bike bike back in the 80's and early 90's. Brought back some good memories. Glad to see that the bike is back in the Memphis area. Darin the Mystic is a good replacement for that bike, hope it gives U miles of smiles.

A "totally restored" first year 1977 R100RS is worth what ever you personally are willing to pay for it either as a project of your own or as an outright purchase. This presupposes that you have decided that you ÔÇÿcanÔÇÖt live withoutÔÇÖ one. Their value appears to be tied to their style and performance, diminishing numbers, and their prominence in the history of BMW and motorcycling in general. The same can be said for the R90S. In that regard, they are more of a collectorÔÇÖs bike than a riderÔÇÖs bike. Plus, when you start talking spending $5-10,000.00 on a 30 year old machine, a ton of really great modern bikes pop up on the list of choices for a daily ride. Of the two bikes you mention, neither in my book would make a daily rider if you live less than 10 miles away from where ever it is you ride every day. Both the R90 and R100 will suffer if ridden only a few miles at a time.

BMW of Daytona used to advertise some 77RS bikes on the back of the MOA ON. As I recall, one was priced around $25k and the other about $10k. I think that the $25k bike was a pre-production (or other special edition bike). On the BMW Daytona website there remains a picture of one of these bikes, but it has been sold (no price shown).
http://www.bmwcyclesdaytona.com/vintage/

In May 2008 Bonhams sold a couple at prices of about $14k and $16k. See lot number 148 and 149. Note the bikes were advertised as being 1976, but we know better, right?
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publ...ItemNo=3885817&iSaleNo=16078&iSaleSectionNo=2
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publ...ItemNo=3885816&iSaleNo=16078&iSaleSectionNo=2

My 77RS is insured for an appraised value of $7k. It is shown below. I'm not saying that I would want to sell the bike, however!! :) :)
92ee4f78.jpg

I can't help you with the daily rider question as I've not ridden an R90S. I can give you an idea about riding the 77RS. The video below (about 37 minutes in duration) shows a rider's view of a jaunt through the Hocking Hills area in central Ohio.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=83788323430775147&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

A friend of mine has a 76 R100RS. The person he bought the bike from shipped the bike from Europe. The RS was sold in Europe a year earlier. :dunno

I have a '75 90S and a '78RS. The 90S is the better machine as a daily rider. Smoother, quicker pickup due to the 3.0 final drive gearing and Dell'Orto carbs. It also feels less top heavy and thus is easier to maneuver in traffic and parking lots at low speeds. Also, on an RS, your handlebar movements are restricted by the short bars and the fairing.

Daily Riders

I have a '75 90S and a '78RS. The 90S is the better machine as a daily rider.

Smoother, quicker pickup due to the 3.0 final drive gearing and Dell'Orto carbs.

It also feels less top heavy and thus is easier to maneuver in traffic and parking lots at low speeds. Also, on an RS, your handlebar movements are restricted by the short bars and the fairing.

swall makes some very good points!

If I HAD an R90S (regrettably, I do not!) I would probably choose that as a daily driver for SHORT commutes, for all the reasons mentioned.

Also, when compared to an "S" model, the RS IS top heavy, absolutely.

For a longer commute (e.g. the 40 miles between El Paso and Las Cruces), in strong, gusty, cold, early Springtime winds, over the top of Trans-Mountain Road, blowing sand and rolling tumbleweeds - I'd get on the RS every time!

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

HOWEVER...

My current RS has the 3.0 (33/11) final drive ratio. I find it much more pleasing than my previous two RSs which were stock (RS) 2.91 (32/11) ratios.

For my money, the 3.0 to 1 drive ratio is PERFECT and really wakes up an RS, without being too low on the highway.

And (for a daily rider) those "S model" bars are WONDERFUL. I love those S bars!

One day I'm going to buy a pair - attached to an R90S, an R100S or an R90/6!

They make a Slash Seven much easier to handle in slow maneuvering and parking situations, vs the RS bars, no doubt about it.

Presently, I ride a grueling 2.2 mile commute from my garage to the hangar where I work. My RS is perfect for that (a 90S might be better!)

Just to make sure I don't abuse the machine, I take her for nice, long rides after work (sometimes before...)

Back