• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

all in one device worth it?

E

emperkin

I currently use a Garmin 60 CSX (based on advise from here) and I absolutely love it. I take it hiking, in my car, on my bike and have used it on a boat too!

However, I am looking at installing an autocom system and would like satellite radio as well. What are peoples thoughts of upgrading? I know the Zumo is great, and everyone loves it, but it seams really over priced to me. I can get the Garmin 2730 for a couple hundred $$ and it does what I need. Why spend more? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

The 2730 may be the best choice since, as I recall, it does not require an external antenna. The antenna is built right into the unit. The ZUMO has a lot of fancy software built into it but I bet most owners don't use the features or don't even know the fancy features are there.

Thanks Paul,

BTW, I was stationed in Balston Spa for 6 months. Loved it up there, just wish I started riding a bike before I moved there....

Doesn't the 60CSx have some new kind of receiver circuitry to enable much faster satellite acquisition, and in maginal reception areas?

I have the 2730 with external XM antenna. The sat radio quality is terrible. It sounds flat like AM radio. I enjoyed listening to different stations on long trips but I ended up canceling my xm service. iPod sound quality is way better and easier to manage in your pocket. I still use the 2730 for its GPS which is great.

The 2730 may be the best choice since, as I recall, it does not require an external antenna. The antenna is built right into the unit. The ZUMO has a lot of fancy software built into it but I bet most owners don't use the features or don't even know the fancy features are there.

Actually, I own two 2730's and to get XM you have to plug in the external XM receiver/antenna. I have one antenna that I switch between the bike and the car.

I have a Zumo and separate sat radio and ipod. The reason for separates is that I don't like listening to radio or ipod when I ride but my wife does. With my autocom I can fade the music sources so that only she can hear them while I can hear the gps, rider to passenger and bike to bike intercoms. If you ride by yourself or your passenger listens to what you do then this feature is a non-issue.

The 2730 is an ok unit, but it does have some failings. No internal battery, so you need to drag the 110v cord into your hotel/motel room if you want to play with it in the pm.

I am on my third one, due to wet weather issues. You need to keep it covered and out of the rain.

I do not believe the 2730 is in production any more.

Heidi just made a killing on a new 478 from Amazon, and also recieved a $200 rebate. Net cost somewhere around $450 or so. It does have XM capability.

The XM will require a seperate antenna that works as the XM radio. Shop around for a good price on that part. I think it is called XM 30.

I use an Autocom and have great reception with the XM. You need to use the external plug that is part of the power cable. I have the volume all the way down to 10% and that is plenty.

bob still

I don't know about the 2370, but the ruggedness and water proofing of the Zumo are a plus. I also find it easy to switch between the bike and the car because of the dual mounts.

Vote for the 550, also don't forget bluetooth

Used all functions today, GPS, MP3 player and phone while going to work - can't beat it.

Also 2730 is being phased out

I know the Zumo is great, and everyone loves it, but it seams really over priced to me.

Price isn't my reason for not having one; the very limited battery life and the fact that it is a proprietary battery is. Which is why I have a 60 Cx (actually two of them) :) .

Buy a separate satellite radio.

The 2730 is waterproof. At least it is designed to be. I have had mine through heavy rain multiple times with no problems. Sorry to hear about water related failures.....not fun at all.

The audio quality is something I've become accustomed to. Convenience with ease of moving the unit between my car and bike makes me more forgiving. My gripe is the almost constant fiddling with the FM transmitter for car use. Finding an empty station frequency is a challenge. Direct line-out connection on the bike at least eliminates that problem.

I agree with the Ipod for better audio quality. On the bike I use mine for listening to music and use XM for sports/news/talk.

So far I'm very happy with the utility of the 2730 for what I use it for.

*I bought mine almost 2 years ago and it was discontinued then. That doesn't mean that Garmin won't continue to support them though.

Back