• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Northwest Ohio Info

testinglogin

Hogaan!
I'm starting this thread to put out as much info as I can about Northwest Ohio. I'm going to include some good riding routes, places to visit, etc. I'll probably edit this post as new information becomes available. Feel free to jump in with other info or questions you might have!

EDIT: working on the first route - for some reason google isn't letting me link a map :mad

Toledo, Ohio!

173978016_VEhN7-M.jpg

basic ride NW Ohio Route:

Go Straight.
Make 90* turn
Go Straight.
Make 90* turn
Go Straight
Make 90* turn
Go Straight

repeat as needed.

Maumee River Ride

If you're riding around NW Ohio is all 90 degree turns, you've not looking hard enough! :)

Here is the first in a series of nice rides around the NW Ohio area, and probably one of the best known (if you're from the area).

HERE is a link to the entire route on google maps, as I would ride it. Entire time from start to finish without stopping is between an hour and two hours. It all depends on how fast you ride. ;)

Best times to do this ride is during the week, or on weekends before noon. Traffic picks up around then on weekends, and you get a lot of other riders out as well. This isn't some hardcore curvy mountain pass, but there are some small hills and decent sweepers and curves as you meander along the Maumee River.

Here is the overview map, running roughly from Sidecut Metropark in Maumee, OH (just outside of Toledo) west towards Defiance, OH along the south side of the river, mostly. (avoid route 24 if you can - it's a 55mph two lane road that semi's like to use as a bypass around the turnpike).

Overview of route:
inddam-overview.jpg

Here is the start of the route. I like picking this up at Sidecut Metropark.
inddam-zoom1.jpg

Watch for these guys on your ride:
IMG_1006.JPG

Head west on River Rd. until you hit Waterville and cross to the south side of the Maumee River, where the fun really starts. Head West on Route 65 (bear right after your initial right turn) and follow the river until you hit Grand Rapids, OH.

Grand Rapids:

IMG_1012.JPG

Map:
inddam-zoom2.jpg

If you have time, Grand Rapids is not a bad place to stop. You can head across Bridge St. and make a quick right turn on Route 24, and then another quick right into Providence Dam Metropark, where they still have some of the original locks and an operating water-powered sawmill. If you want, take a ride on an old boat pulled by mules through one of the locks, or walk into the mill and watch them saw up some lumber with water power, as well as mill some flower. It's an interesting little stop if you have the time and that sort of stuff interests you. If you're hungry, cross the railroad tracks in Grand Rapids and grab a bite to eat or some ice cream just past the tracks on the right. Nice little burger/ice cream stand.

The ride continues on west on 65, becoming 110. There are a few nice curves through here and some longer straight sections.

Curvy area (some are better, but I'd rather ride those than stop for a photo!):

IMG_1013.JPG

As you approach Napoleon you'll pass the Campbells soup plant:

IMG_1016.JPG

After that, head into Napoleon and cross the river again on Route 108/Perry Street and pick up route 424 west.
inddam-zoom3.jpg

424 will wind it's way west through the small village of Florida (watch your speed!) until you eventually approach Independence Dam State Park.
inddam-zoom4.jpg

Stop by, take a break, do some fishing, watch for birds, have a picnic, or take a photo of your bike:
IMG_1022.JPG

This concludes the journey, though you'll have to map out you're own route home. :)

JD,
:thumb Great pictures and maps.

My wife and I raised our children in Bucyrus, OH. If you look for curves and scenery you can surely find them in Western Ohio. I usually rode east toward Loudonville, OH. but, I loved to ride up to the lake and along the shore toward Toledo, too. Back then it was on a 1996 VFR 750F.

Len

That is a great ride! Kevin Limberg and I do that one at least once every season!

Last edited:
Nice pictures, brings back a lot of memories. I grew up in Toledo and left there in 67. I believe I will head back for a trip up the river. I remember a lot of trips with the family on weekends, in the places you showed. We found a lot of Indian arrowheads along the banks. I live near Lansing Mich. now, so T-town is only a couple of hours away.....Thanks

Great area to ride

That is a great ride, I have never rode it on my bike yet but been there a lot. I was born and raised in Lakeside Ohio. Which if any of you get a chance to go up that way it is a nice ride around the point. Some nice S curves and one hick of a few of the lake at the light house. You also get a great view of Cedar Point from there.
The Next time I take my bike up to my parents house ill get some picture and route to ride for you all. Keep up the nice work on this post and I'll check back soon. :usa

That is a great ride, I have never rode it on my bike yet but been there a lot. I was born and raised in Lakeside Ohio. Which if any of you get a chance to go up that way it is a nice ride around the point. Some nice S curves and one hick of a few of the lake at the light house. You also get a great view of Cedar Point from there.
The Next time I take my bike up to my parents house ill get some picture and route to ride for you all. Keep up the nice work on this post and I'll check back soon. :usa

I've been slacking - I have a whole Toledo -> Woodville -> Oak Harbor -> Lakeside/Marblehead route that i need to post up but haven't. Maybe you will beat me to it - at least the Lakeside section. :) That is indeed a great area to ride to.

I lived in Toledo for three years when I was assigned to the UT Military Science Department in the early 80's. My daughter was born in Toledo so I'll always have a positive attachment. Had a R100RS back then and found the local riding to be great. Lots of little towns and back roads to explore. Keep'em coming Josh.

Back