• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New High Viz Jacket:)

Rode through there just last 2 weeks, coming down the hill from White Sands and other points east, heading towards CA..I don't think I saw any ridiers coming through that city, but got to see a lot of it as I rode through trying to get on Interstate 10 to Deming and beyond. Made Tucson that night for SuperBowl Sunday watching at my daughters place. Good clear, cold weather, as I traveled through the south and I hear its changed this week. Randy:usa

Yep 50 MPH wind gust's and light snow. :doh

Mike

Here too in CA..

I had a wonderful 9 day adventure in clear, NO clouds all the way. It changed as soon as I got home and its good, we need it here:). My new High Viz jacket has yet to be cleaned(4500 miles now in it), since new a few weeks ago and I wonder how folks CLEAN these. I was going to take Simple Green to mine and a garden hose! I've done this with previous jackets and it works well. Any other ways suggested? Its not a dryer kind of garment, so hanging it dry seems a must, but I would like some WASHING ideas. The bright yellow shows dirt and "black marks" easily and even my black jacket did too(dirt)...Randy:usa

Hi Mfifer. I'm riding out your way in mid-July. My father lives in Alamogordo and I'm stopping by as part of my Colorado top of the Rockies ride. I love that area. Dad worked at the base there several years ago rebuilding the homes. He liked it so much, when he retired, he bought a place up in Cloudcroft. Can't wait to get out there and do some riding with him.

Hi Mfifer. I'm riding out your way in mid-July. My father lives in Alamogordo and I'm stopping by as part of my Colorado top of the Rockies ride. I love that area. Dad worked at the base there several years ago rebuilding the homes. He liked it so much, when he retired, he bought a place up in Cloudcroft. Can't wait to get out there and do some riding with him.
Give us a call , would love to have you stop by.
PM me when and if you do .
Mike

I have the airglide 2 system in HIVIZ yellow/green and love it. I can not tell you the amount of times it has saved me. Numerous times that I come up to an intersection and a cage is just about to pull out and slams on the breaks cause they see me.

On the highway, people tend to think that I am a cop. They get out of the way or at least treat me with respect.

I went and got the Olympia HiViz yellow green vest to wear over my leathers in colder weather.

Really, I can't say enough good about the HiViz stuff. And yeah, I get plenty of comments from the black leather crowd, but I am enjoying riding even more.

Yep:)

Sure works, huh? The bright wear has made a difference in my life, riding! People sure take notice, where before I was just there..Illinois! I did the Ruidoso loop, coming from Roswell,N.Mex.. Its a neat ride to do, if you're looking for one:). I had been in Texas for a few days before. Alamagordo has many neat rides. DO NOT miss the White Sands N.Monument, if you've never been. Its WAY worth it:). Randy:usa

High Viz VEST over jacket...

I liked the idea of high viz gear, I need every advantage I can get (58 yr old, riding since 16, but not a technical rider by any means.)

But as much as I liked the looks of many of the high end riding suits and jackets, my budget didn't allow the high cost expense.

I ended up buying a 'Frank Thomas' jacket from Cycle Gear that I've been very pleased with. Decent armor at shoulders and elbows, lots of vents that allow me to wear it in 105 degree temp in summer, yet keeps me warm with the fleece and waterproof liners that came with it, in my winter riding of 32-35 degree mornings.

But it wasn't high viz. Black, with minimal reflective piping.

I got the best of both worlds by another Cycle Gear purchase: A bright orange "Mil-Spec" vest. From what I gather from the paperwork with it, if you are in the military and want to have a bike on base, you have to wear an approved highly reflective vest...and this meets the specs.

The vest was about $50. Has bungee-cord lacing on the sides, so easily snugs up on whatever jacket you wear it over.

If you don't want to spend $50 on a vest, do a websearch for construction vests, much cheaper yet probably about the same effectiveness. Similar ones are also found on Police, EMT, and Fireman gear pages. And if you think these would not be "stylish" enough...come on...can ANY of us be considered stylist in any of these outfits, except to one another motorcycle riders? (See a recent People mag picture of Harrison Ford decked out in BMW gear & a helmet liner. My wife almost fell out of her chair laughing...unfortunately her laughter was not just AT Harrison Ford, it was also because she says he looks as stupid as I do in my gear. sigh.)So there's the "lower cost" solution, especially if you already have outer gear that you like except for the visibility.

I still go with the same saying I'd use when I was bicycling 4000 miles a year 20 years ago in flourescent green gear: "If they hit me, they will have been aiming at me."

Paul

I still go with the same saying I'd use when I was bicycling 4000 miles a year 20 years ago in flourescent green gear: "If they hit me, they will have been aiming at me."

Paul

Or as someone said to me recently, "If they hit you, it's murder. They sure couldn't say they didn't see you!"

Voni
sMiling

Recent story told me;

Another rdier had a good tale to tell:) Wearing High Viz gear one recent day on an LA Freeway(S.Cal). Several lanes of traffic at speed, just crusiing along and a car cut this rider off, lane changing:(. Unseen, was a CHP Motor Cop following along a short distance back! He saw all of this occur, the cutoff lane change:). Well, the Motor Cop stopped the car and the High VIZ biker stopped as well and the Cop says, "come here" to the bike rider....They both walk up to the driver of the car, a lady and the conversation goes like this! Lady, you see what this guy has on and you "DID NOT" see him??? Guilty! Enough said. Randy:usa PS; JUST know whatever you wear, you can still be HIT by drivers in lala land.

Back