• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New High Viz Jacket:)

I am all about being a nerd, but sometimes I think we can go overboard with this safety stuff. I mean, we need to be the ones aware at all times regardless of what we wear! See below, watch closely and count them all, and when you are done try and imagine a distracted soccer mom with a car full of screaming kids coming up behind you at an intersection.................

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Got it and now I'm "way" happy;

My AST Olympia came and I've been wearing it for a couple weeks. WOW, what a difference in traffic! One guy above mentioned traffic moving out of the way in Chicago, I think was the city. Here TOO, in California. They see me coming from behind and most move over, "perhaps" thinking COP:). I don't know what they think, but its very interesting how folks really SEE this jacket coming. I did not expect to see such an improvement in this regard, but its true:). When I first wore the jacket, I too had a shocking perspective as to how BRIGHT it was and what I must look like. I got over it quickly and who cares, as I love being seen vs. the other scenarios we really don't wish on anybody! Its been 32 and some days below freezing on my rides and I wear the jacket "without" my electric vest so far:). Very nice jacket and is what I wished for. Randy:thumb :dance :usa

I am all about being a nerd, but sometimes I think we can go overboard with this safety stuff. I mean, we need to be the ones aware at all times regardless of what we wear! See below, watch closely and count them all, and when you are done try and imagine a distracted soccer mom with a car full of screaming kids coming up behind you at an intersection.................

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WOW , I feel like a dumb ***!

I bet you would have seen him if he was wearing a high-viz jacket. :p

I wore my new NEON RED Olympia jacket to the grocery store yesterday. Know the feeling you get when you forgot you were wearing a Halloween mask and costume? Everyone in a normally friendly store was giving me wide berth and not meeting my eyes.

The checkout clerk said she liked it. I asked if she rode. She laughed and said, "No. I just like that you step outside the box!"

Now if it just works as well in traffic . . . :dance

Voni
sMiling

I bet you would have seen him if he was wearing a high-viz jacket. :p

Maybe, maybe not. My point is, no matter how hi-viz the jacket, most folks out there are not paying 100% attention. :nod

I read a study years ago that a white helmet is the number one "hi-viz" item a rider can wear.

Happy New Year Everyone!

By Olympia, sold at my BMW Dealer. I just got one shipped to me and its enroute. The AST Olympia is has gotten rave reviews by many, so thought it would do me well too. We'll see. My first "High Viz" anything and I will look like a canary riding down the road, but I liked the idea, so here goes! I've been wearing a similar Kilimanjaro(First Gear) for years and years and its been a great ride with it, but time to change and the new Olympia looks very very well done to me, with all the characteristics my Kilimanjaro had and more. Anybody else ride HIGH VIZ stuff to be seen? I will now and at 56, I need to be seen and want to ride into my senior years as long as possible. Randy:thumb :dance :usa

-------------------------

I've had an Olympia AST Hi-Viz for over a year. Quality of construction is outstanding, visibility in sunlight is painful. I know - two of my co-workers have the same jacket - and I prefer to lead so I don't have to look at them! BTW, I wear a bright yellow hard hat as well.

Re 56 and senior: you're as old as you choose to be. I've got 9 years on you, and I ride safer (and over a distance, faster) than I did 40 years ago. And I savor the riding experience more than ever.

Buy the jacket, be a geek, you won't regret it.

Art W.

I personaly can't stand Hi-Viz, but does anyone know of something available in a nice bug-splatter green?

Re 56 and senior?

I am indeed 56 and riding with my new Bright Olympia Jacket is something new to me, as I have ridden with traditional black everything over the years. I feel safer with the new color scheme, but also know riding for 40+ years, motorists are never to be trusted and we never can forget it. I'm on the leading edge of senior'ism at 56, I guess and the new high viz jacket purchase for me was a moment of knowing I'm older, wanting to be seen more and just "perhaps" I don't have the same youthful reflexes anymore. Any edge is a positive thing. I still ride faster than ever too and have much need to keep on doing it, on and off road into my 70's,80's plus:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb :usa

I am indeed 56 and riding with my new Bright Olympia Jacket is something new to me, as I have ridden with traditional black everything over the years. I feel safer with the new color scheme, but also know riding for 40+ years, motorists are never to be trusted and we never can forget it. I'm on the leading edge of senior'ism at 56, I guess and the new high viz jacket purchase for me was a moment of knowing I'm older, wanting to be seen more and just "perhaps" I don't have the same youthful reflexes anymore. Any edge is a positive thing. I still ride faster than ever too and have much need to keep on doing it, on and off road into my 70's,80's plus:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb :usa

Ditto exactly !!!

Hi Viz really gets your attention

Today, I caught site of his hi-viz jacket before I could see the headlight of his bike -- a BMW GS rider rounded a curve and I noticed him immediately -- the jacket was distinctly contrasted from the background. It made an impression on me.

Last edited:
I just received my new hi-viz Darian yesterday. Slapped on along with all my other goodies and hit the road to see how many people I could blind. I must say, while I'm sure some of the people were looking at me as if I was crazy being out on the road on a bike yesterday, I did honestly see someone in a minivan actually pretend to shield his eyes as I went past him. I think he must be a motorbike rider who is aware of the talk about how bright the jackets are when they are new. I really don't think a non-rider would act in this manner. My only question to all of you is just how long will it take to get this think broke in? It almost stands up in the corner by itself!

My only question to all of you is just how long will it take to get this think broke in? It almost stands up in the corner by itself!

Remove the pads and liner, the throw it in a front loading washing machine with a little soap to get the sizing out of it. Makes the world of difference

Good point;

My Olympia is stiff too and needs a break in:). I think one should probably keep the "dryer" heat on low,warm or cold, however. The higher heat may do something to the waterproof membrane,etc? Just a guess. Maybe the wash thing is a good idea too and just hang dry it? I think I may just "wear mine in" for a while yet and see if it loosens up. Randy:usa

My only question to all of you is just how long will it take to get this think broke in?

The best way to break it in is lots and lots of miles, especially if they include some bad weather. :dance (Gee, honey, I'd love to work on the house, but I need to break in my jacket...)

Olympia Hi Viz Jacket

I bought the Hi viz jacket and took it on a trip in Oct. Riding with friends got separated in a rain storm. They said they saw me about 3/4 mile away when I had made a turn. Also had a crash on that trip and I didn't recieve a scratch. Hit another motorcycle and then hit the ground. Jacket was fine just a little dirty due to asphalt.

Hey, Jlelandcood-welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy yourself here. You might fill out a little info in your profile. We especially like to know where people call home, what they ride ... whatever.

jlelandcook Welcome !!!!
I see you are a commo tech , for whom?
I had 32 years with Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph , US West and Qwest , and now a contractor for the Army.

Mike

Back