• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New High Viz Jacket:)

My Olympia is stiff too and needs a break in:). I think one should probably keep the "dryer" heat on low,warm or cold, however. The higher heat may do something to the waterproof membrane,etc? Just a guess. Maybe the wash thing is a good idea too and just hang dry it? I think I may just "wear mine in" for a while yet and see if it loosens up. Randy:usa

I just hung it up on a suit hanger and let it air dry over the bathtub. Same with the pants.

jlelandcook Welcome !!!!
I see you are a commo tech , for whom?
I had 32 years with Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph , US West and Qwest , and now a contractor for the Army.

Mike

Mike,
I'm a com. tech. with AT&T; originally SWBT. I've worked in OK my whole career 34 years. Enjoyed most of it. They will have to kill me and haul me away from the job I have now. Great boss and enjoy the work.

Leland

Mike,
I'm a com. tech. with AT&T; originally SWBT. I've worked in OK my whole career 34 years. Enjoyed most of it. They will have to kill me and haul me away from the job I have now. Great boss and enjoy the work.

Leland

Good for you . I hated the micro-manage at the end. I like the work now , been fired 3 times and once the boss decides I have been right he tells me not to go.
Nice to know you don't HAVE to go to work.

Mike

A follow up, high viz road trip:)

This past week, I rode the GSA1200 to Big Bend NP.,Texas, N.Mexico and Arizona. In Tucson as I type, heading home to N.California soon. 2400 miles of High Viz jacket, breakin riding:). Its been great and COLD out there in the SW. The "teens" were common overnight and early mornings, everyday. Mid morning brought better temps, however into the 40s and 50,s for highs. The Olympia High Viz Jacket has performed very well, without issues and I have worn my electric vest a lot too, but never cold, riding these winter days in the south Horn of Texas, etc...Its been a really good choice for a new jacket. Many comments from all folks out there on the road, including cage drivers. I've seen a few other BMW riders on this trip with the High Viz jacket on, but only a few as winter keeps many home, I suspect.
My summary of my new jacket, which I have found exceptional; AST Jacket PROS: Color equals "great" in High Viz yellow, zippers are all watertight, rubber type closures over them, vents are very well placed, but not used on this winter trip, fit is perfect at 2X for me(6' and 240lbs.). Liner is first rate and a fashion wear, without overcoat. I wear the liner separate from the overcoat and do not attach the two when worn together. I like this a lot. The jacket still slips easily over the inner liner, without the attachment points used:). The jacket/liner is good for me to the mid 40's coolness and then the electric vest goes on. The fit is right on, even with wearing the heated vest. An adjustable waist belt, built in the outer jacket. SOME CONS; Two immediately pop up in mind. The neck area is never a closure thing for me(all m/c coats), as the necks are too tightly designed. I wear a wind triangle from Aerostitch and it does nicely. The cuffs on the jacket have pull tabs over the velcro, that get in the way of gloves going on. I wear the gauntlet types for winter riding and the tabs hang up on the gauntlets. Very minor issue, but there. Summer gloves and the tabs are no problem. The jacket tabs over the wrists are for pulling the velcro apart(useful indeed), when taking the jacket off. Such minor things for a great jacket I like a lot.
Anyhow, a 3000+ winter trip concluded, with the new "Olympia AST"/GSA1200 and a huge plus added to my gear closet. My previous Kilimanjaro by First Gear was exceptional and I rode it a very long ways. It still hangs with my other gear and a very well earned retirement for it. The new AST has the same, even better qualities:)....Randy

So far I have only one problem with the hi vis.

It's the traffic lights that do not want to seem to switch for a bike.

In black leather and black helmet, the cars would get right up on my bumper and trigger the thing. With the hi vis, the stay back a good car length. Some of them shade their eyes.

I think I will just deal with it. I love how the cars part and let you pass. Too bad it does not work for the Harley herds.

Love the Hi-Vis.

My friends are all say if some cager gets me with this on, they will personally go the the prosecuting attorney and the trial, take the remnants of the coat and demand justice, the old" I did not see him" defense is not going to work this time.

Rod

It's the traffic lights that do not want to seem to switch for a bike.

Rod

Try mounting a magnet underneath the engine, works wonders on the traffic sensors. They are available on the net specifically for that purpose or I scooped a good one out of the magnetron of an old microwave.

This past week, I rode the GSA1200 to Big Bend NP.,Texas, N.Mexico and Arizona. In Tucson as I type, heading home to N.California soon. 2400 miles of High Viz jacket, breakin riding:). Its been great and COLD out there in the SW. The "teens" were common overnight and early mornings, everyday. Mid morning brought better temps, however into the 40s and 50,s for highs. The Olympia High Viz Jacket has performed very well, without issues and I have worn my electric vest a lot too, but never cold, riding these winter days in the south Horn of Texas, etc...Its been a really good choice for a new jacket. Many comments from all folks out there on the road, including cage drivers. I've seen a few other BMW riders on this trip with the High Viz jacket on, but only a few as winter keeps many home, I suspect.
My summary of my new jacket, which I have found exceptional; AST Jacket PROS: Color equals "great" in High Viz yellow, zippers are all watertight, rubber type closures over them, vents are very well placed, but not used on this winter trip, fit is perfect at 2X for me(6' and 240lbs.). Liner is first rate and a fashion wear, without overcoat. I wear the liner separate from the overcoat and do not attach the two when worn together. I like this a lot. The jacket still slips easily over the inner liner, without the attachment points used:). The jacket/liner is good for me to the mid 40's coolness and then the electric vest goes on. The fit is right on, even with wearing the heated vest. An adjustable waist belt, built in the outer jacket. SOME CONS; Two immediately pop up in mind. The neck area is never a closure thing for me(all m/c coats), as the necks are too tightly designed. I wear a wind triangle from Aerostitch and it does nicely. The cuffs on the jacket have pull tabs over the velcro, that get in the way of gloves going on. I wear the gauntlet types for winter riding and the tabs hang up on the gauntlets. Very minor issue, but there. Summer gloves and the tabs are no problem. The jacket tabs over the wrists are for pulling the velcro apart(useful indeed), when taking the jacket off. Such minor things for a great jacket I like a lot.
Anyhow, a 3000+ winter trip concluded, with the new "Olympia AST"/GSA1200 and a huge plus added to my gear closet. My previous Kilimanjaro by First Gear was exceptional and I rode it a very long ways. It still hangs with my other gear and a very well earned retirement for it. The new AST has the same, even better qualities:)....Randy

My experience with this jacket tracks your pros and cons exactly.

I wear Hi Viz

Darien Hi Viz when I can and an Olympia Hi Viz in the summer. I also have the Darien Hi Viz pants and when I wear both, my buddy and I always keep track of the "Are you a Fireman?" questions.
Interestingly in Europe the only Hi Viz we saw were mine and a couple on the two week trip with us. Not caught on there yet.

I went for a ride yesterday wearing my new Darian Hi-viz. I definitely believe I saw a difference in how four-wheelers behaved around me. They did seem to give more room. I tried to think that it was my imagination, but I swear cars did not ride as close to me or stop as close to me at stop lights as they have in the past without the hi-viz jacket. I will keep an eye on this thought as I still want to believe it was my imagination. I definitely had many more drivers stare at me as they went by. But then again, I think I was the only rider out around central Illinois yesterday. Did not see one other bike.

Made it home:)

3325 mile trip to Big Bend, Texas and the jacket was a fine addition. The high viz yellow attracts a lot of dirt and I have to clean it now. The vents work really well, as 80 degrees in Bakersfield,CA coming home. The high temp mark on the trip. Low temp riding was 18 in the morning, leaving Artesia, N.Mexico. Electric vest ON:). Texas and N.Mexico hit the teens every night, with 50's in mid days. No Rain, not even clouds the entire trip. I got cut off ONE time on the Interstate 10, coming through downtown Tucson, AZ. I was alert:). A lane changer at speed on the freeway. I blipped the GSA thottle and became noticed, as I got along side the offender and I was nice:), as they jerked their car back into their lane. Always remember "blind spots" in mirrors and LESS than attentive drivers will always be there in force. My High Viz wonderful jacket is a really nice deterent and I would buy it again, but the fact that we are small targets out there has to be always remembered. Happy Trails, Randy

I went to the bike show at the Maryland state fairgrounds yesterday and wore my Hi Viz Darien as I walked around inside. Lots of looks from the Harley types (most of what the show was), but I made instant friends at the Bob's BMW display!

JEP

I went to the bike show at the Maryland state fairgrounds yesterday and wore my Hi Viz Darien as I walked around inside. Lots of looks from the Harley types (most of what the show was), but I made instant friends at the Bob's BMW display!

JEP

Hmmmmm - what's more goofy looking? An old guy (hey -you're on the BMW forum. We're all old! :) ) wearing safe Hi-viz or an old guy trying to look like a Hell's Angel?

I know there are safe HD riders out there, but from my perspective (Milwaukee native) the overwhelming majority are fashionistas with new bikes and clothes and bandanas and attitude - all store bought and smelling of the plastic wrapper from which they recently emerged. Not the kind of people I care to impress.

Good for you on your smart, adult choice.

Care?

I don't anymore. My riding apparel is my choice and few, if any have ever suggested I was a fool by my choices. Many look, however and so be it. I'm 56 now and "care what others think has left me", for the most part. I like being noticed in traffic and my new bright yellow Olympia Jacket has that appeal for sure. Many have mentioned the Aerostitch equivalent in their "Darien's" and its another great choice, I'm sure. I've never treid their apparel, but I do shop "Aerostitch" several times a year, via this medium. A cool store:) in Diluth:). HD Riders are quick to acknowledge my choice of wheels quite often, in my GSA1200. I think its recognized by them, as a "hard riders" choice of bike! All BMW's. Randy....PS; I HAVE noticed the teenagers and younger school kids give the biggest response and LOOK at the bright wear, as I smile:).....:usa

I got a ride in today, 2/8/9, in the inseasonably warm Wis. weather - 60F. Lots of bikes on the road today - mostly Harleys. I guess everyone was just happy to be out on the bikes because I exchanged big ole waves with all the helmetless black leather crowd. Guess they were able to overlook my HI-Viz and just have a great ride. Very nice.

I just got a TourMaster Transition 2 in Hi Viz Yellow and I love it with my TM heated jacket liner in it. It is real warm (at least down to 20 so far) and I can get onto the military base without an additional vest. I also like that a medium is a true medium (for me anyway).
It is a nice fit and well done plus cost effective jacket.
2008_Tour_Master_Transition_Series_.jpg

Mike

I got one just like yours except in silver. great jacket!!!

Hey Las Cruces:)

Rode through there just last 2 weeks, coming down the hill from White Sands and other points east, heading towards CA..I don't think I saw any ridiers coming through that city, but got to see a lot of it as I rode through trying to get on Interstate 10 to Deming and beyond. Made Tucson that night for SuperBowl Sunday watching at my daughters place. Good clear, cold weather, as I traveled through the south and I hear its changed this week. Randy:usa

Back