• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New High Viz Jacket:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
By Olympia, sold at my BMW Dealer. I just got one shipped to me and its enroute. The AST Olympia is has gotten rave reviews by many, so thought it would do me well too. We'll see. My first "High Viz" anything and I will look like a canary riding down the road, but I liked the idea, so here goes! I've been wearing a similar Kilimanjaro(First Gear) for years and years and its been a great ride with it, but time to change and the new Olympia looks very very well done to me, with all the characteristics my Kilimanjaro had and more. Anybody else ride HIGH VIZ stuff to be seen? I will now and at 56, I need to be seen and want to ride into my senior years as long as possible. Randy:thumb :dance :usa

Hi, when I was at the Very Boring Rally II, I purchased a Darien in Hi Viz.

My kids are mercilous in their teasing of me............Regards, Rod.

First, Polarbear ÔÇô Clovis, CA; howÔÇÖd those two things combine? Just curious. My wife has the Olympia Hi Viz. She loves it. We rode through 11 days out of 14 in heavy rain last ÔÇ£summerÔÇØ on a trip to MT and she had nary the leak.

I have the AST hi-viz and have been in several heavy rains with it and never got wet. I have not had any issues with the zippers or seals.
Being in TX. with the heat I have found that opening the zippers on the arms makes me feel hotter so I just leave them closed and keep open the chest and back which seems to have adequate air flow when moving. When stopped well.. Put a fork in me as I am done.

Also, Be prepared for people to look at you and tell you that they can see you or to turn that thing off.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Great Decision

I own both an Airglide and an AST from Olympia in the HiVis and am very satidfied with my purchase. Their products are a very good value and I really felt like I did my homework when comparing vendors with regard to style, construction and price.

Here in Chicago during the summer, it was common for bees and hornets to migrate toward the color, as they might have been thinking flowers. Happened numersous times. But what I really have noticed is how the cages in front of me move over to the right as though I am some sort of LEO. Seriously! White helmet and Piaa 910's always on with the bike's regular headlamp and it is like magic the way cars move right. I will not however, let this get my guard down and think HIVIS is the answer to protecting myself. Defensive driving and awareness of the area travelled is my key. Ride safe.

Last edited:
I've been using the AST off/on for about 20 months and been quite happy with it. There is one thing to look out for w/ the AST, make sure the slide buckles are loose otherwise you may get a bit of water coming through. Temperature wise, I use a fleece vest when it hits the 40's, the liner in the mid 30s, 70+ I go mesh. On the comfort front, mine was broke in after about 20-30 hours.

On the visibility front, my wife and some friends seen me on her way home from work over a mile away in traffic. Then again I still get the occasional cage that likes to lane share w/o asking 1st in traffic :( Then I use the electric air horn :) It occasionally gets ignored too :(

I just bought a new Kilimanjaro left over from last year's stock for $150. It's yellow, but not quite Hi-viz, yet more so than the black leather I was wearing.

1 week. So far, so good.

Got a hi-viz Olympia in the fall - awesoem piece of equipment

Like how it is put together and performs.

will probabaly get a hi-viz Glide for the hotter weather

Good Choice you will be happy

I got the Olympia Airglide in high viz too this past summer. :thumb Got the airmesh over pants in silver too. I like the idea of the high viz and I needed gear with body armour. I'm happy with the quality and hope I never have to find out how good they really are. :nod I have a leather Hein Gericke jacket and overpants that cost me a fortune 20 yrs ago. They are of the highest quality and still in great shape BUT no body armour.

I bought a Hi-Viz Olympia Moto Sports jacket about 10 months ago and it has become my jacket of choice here in N FL. From the beginning it was obvious that motorists could see me and that they were far more courteous than before. Due to the summer heat and humidity I will purchase either the new Olympia Hi-Viz summer mesh jacket for the really hot 4>5 months we have in sunny FL or the one piece mesh outfit that Olympia manufactures. It would be convenient to be able to wear shorts and a light shirt under a protective outer suit.
Ride Safe :usa

Smart move to get the Hi-Viz! It's the new black! :) I spoke with a Scorpion rep who told me Hi-viz is becoming the next big thing in riding apparel. Before it was "nerdy", but now apparently, it's a sign of an intelligent rider. Gotta agree!

Hi-Viz Scorpion helmet and Olympia vest. Not shown - headlight modulator.

I just got a TourMaster Transition 2 in Hi Viz Yellow and I love it with my TM heated jacket liner in it. It is real warm (at least down to 20 so far) and I can get onto the military base without an additional vest. I also like that a medium is a true medium (for me anyway).
It is a nice fit and well done plus cost effective jacket.
2008_Tour_Master_Transition_Series_.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Purchased my first Hi-Viz at the Toronto Bike show. The Scorpion Commander seemed to have many useful features. I had to have it shipped to me as they seem to be in demand and understocked.

Also picked up the EXO-1000 helmet... in black! Should all go well with my sun yellow GS!

Olympia Jacket

I was going to buy the HI Rez AST but since I am in FL, I decided to go with the airglide instead. However, I found a new black airglide for 1/2 price so I decided to go with black. I much prefer the Hi Rez. I think it is a cool looking jacket and I plan on purchasing an AST in Fall 09.

I heard lots of good things about the Olympia products.

I have the Olympia hiv vis airglide

Best remark so far from Harley Ableson riding co-worker

"I would not be caught dead in that"

I was ready, said "that is kinda the point"

Every once and a while, things go right!

Rod

I don't know why this isn't mentioned more often, but hi-viz vests and jackets with EU spec reflecting material are available for only a few dollars from many suppliers. They pack very small, and go over any other gear. There are even mesh versions for the summer. What's nice about them is when the color is getting cruddy looking, you can replace them for very little money. And when you don't want the nerdy look, you don't have to wear them. And best of all, they easily out-perform the motorcycle jackets for visibility.

Fred

I don't know why this isn't mentioned more often, but hi-viz vests and jackets with EU spec reflecting material are available for only a few dollars from many suppliers. .....

.......... And when you don't want the nerdy look, you don't have to wear them.
.......And best of all, they easily out-perform the motorcycle jackets for visibility.

Fred

Two points, one question -

You get what you pay for. Cheap vests have been mentioned in other threads so most of those who buy Hy-Viz are well aware of them. You can't compare a lightweight "flagger" vest made for standing to a well made moto specific vest.

If by "nerdy" you mean safe, when should one choose to do that? Kind of like choosing when to wear seat belts when driving a car.

I'm very curious, in what way do they outperform the motorcycle jckets?

Two points, one question -

You get what you pay for. Cheap vests have been mentioned in other threads so most of those who buy Hy-Viz are well aware of them. You can't compare a lightweight "flagger" vest made for standing to a well made moto specific vest.

If by "nerdy" you mean safe, when should one choose to do that? Kind of like choosing when to wear seat belts when driving a car.

I'm very curious, in what way do they outperform the motorcycle jckets?

Not to pick on Fred but I have to agree with nevada that most "utillity type" vests tend to flap or end up around your neck. That said there are a few that work OK and would be a step up in safety for those with existing jackets. I also do not take the nerdy statement as Freds opinion but more likely the opinion of a kevlar headed HD rider.
By the way almost everyone notices a nerd (I should know).:whistle ;)

Mike

Oh brother!

Anyway, if you are experiencing excessive flapping, either you bought a vest or jacket that was too big, or you never had one and are merely making such a claim. It's the same issue with a rain suit. Note that these have zippers, not velcro. Anyway, my hi-viz over-jacket is the proper size to slip over my moto jackets, does not flap around excessively, and the CE-approved reflective tape design is proven (and mandated) for visibility. Motorcycle jackets that simply use hi-viz fabric end their visibility design there. I carry a British police over-jacket (without the text on it), folded in a little pouch in a case.

As to the cach?® of hi-viz, it's just the way it is. Get a grip, man, and don't take it personally.

Fred

Last edited:
Oh brother! ....... Get a grip, man, and don't take it personally.

Fred

Sounds like you are the one taking it personally. I apologize if I offended you. That was not my goal. I merely disagree with you - we can do that and still be friendly can't we? :)

FWIW - I am a contractor and life long rider. I know construction safety vests very well. In 20 years I have not seen one in anything but "one size fits all". Moto-specific vests are heavier, come in at least 2 sizes, and are more adjustable. They do have reflective stripes which are placed so that drivers can see the seated cyclist, not some guy holding a "slow" sign beside road construction.

If you are happy wearing a $4 vest on your $20k BMW, good for you.

As for the "nerdy" comment, I could care less and that's not what I was getting at. I was pointing out that one might choose to be safe all the time, not just when you don't want to look "nerdy". Who cares what others think? Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
Back