• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The great state of Mountainia

see, now you're making the case for my position. those moonshiners were not called "Mountainbillys" now, were they? nope- thems was hillbillys. They knew where they lived, and self named accordingly. I'm just suggesting that you might want to do the same. :brow

Hmmm, I think I detect a note of jealousy here! I've seen a few westerners try to handle our moonshine, tis a sad sad sight indeed, please if you come, leave that watery drivel you guys call mirco-brews over on the left coast, our spring water is stronger than that stuff.

RM

jealous? nah, i just prefer to enjoy the flavor of what i'm drinking. and at 7-10% ABV, it does have some pizazz to it.
of course, Vermont "sap beer" is pretty potent stuff, and tastes like maple syrup- with just a hint of nitorglycerine added to it!

but really, it's all about the mountains. or lack of them. tho i can understand if you might feel the need to enhance your hills with a bit of shine, so you can get away with calling them mountains. i'd guess with enough corn squeezings, even your parking lots would feel like mountains.

Moonshine or your beer?

Let me think now, you have that Coors liquid that is passed off as beer and that is made in, oh wait you don't have Coors, they were sold to , now who was that that purchased them???:dunno I must admit though I do like "Colorado Vodka" but then maybe that is because it is owned by a friend.:violin

All Hail Govenor of Mountainia,

From the Dirty Mo, (Mooresville, NC) The best DAMN twisties in the world

I just moved to the southern edge of Mountania. Can't wait to dig on and tear it up!

And I hereby volunteer to be Minister Of Somethingorother.

I just moved to the southern edge of Mountania. Can't wait to dig on and tear it up!

And I hereby volunteer to be Minister Of Somethingorother.

welcome, and we need to get out for a ride soon!

i nominate you for minister of moonshine.

after all, with newbies claiming bigger mountains out west, we need one big, tall mofo for this position. :ha

can i get a second?

earl

welcome, and we need to get out for a ride soon!

i nominate you for minister of moonshine.

after all, with newbies claiming bigger mountains out west, we need one big, tall mofo for this position. :ha

can i get a second?

earl

I second that, but none of that flavored shine give us the real deal. Not bigger mountains out west, bigger egos.

we were just down in gaineville for thanksgiving. i christened my HP2 in the deep sand at Ocala National Forest.

just noticed that TN and KY are considered "midwest" in our regional architecture.

:nono

rule mountainia! :usa

Yeah whoever drew the lines on that must have partaken of that mountainia water.:hungover

Any rides planned, need to get out.

Govenor ?
Minister ?

grace the commons please

just the lowly earl here.

me and the minister of moonshine took a tour of southern mountainia two weekends ago. some arcane dirt roads *and* the usual paved twisty suspects were ridden, to give the n00b minister a taste of the region.

you know, we need a duke of bbq.

maybe sometime in march we can have a ride-2-q meeting up in the WNC area? to pre-sample the good eatn near the national rally..... :eat

ian

you know, we need a duke of bbq.

maybe sometime in march we can have a ride-2-q meeting up in the WNC area? to pre-sample the good eatn near the national rally..... :eat

ian

I'm in. Just let me know the when and the where.

I like to :eat

I'm in whenever and where ever, HOWEVER, I have yet to indulge the "offroad" delight that many of you speak of. I am, nevertheless willing and able to begin the adventure. My bike is not exactly set up for the dirt but what the hell, I got a hose a bucket and a sponge.

this is from a ride sheet prepared for the 1996 BMW MOA rally in Morganton, NC.

these roads are all near the asheville area, and many would be relevant to rallygoers in 2009. :evil

Road NC 215 Goes to: Nowhere
A Rider's road

If you like curves, ride this road. Take I-40 west past Asheville and exit on Hwy 74 West/Hwys 19/23 South. Got to Canton and takeHwy215 South. This road goes for 30+ miles of heavenly turns with extremely light traffic, crosses the BRP and ends on Highway 64, which you can take east back to the rally.

A very good list! 215 only goes nowhere if you don't know the gems around it. Not much to do on the north side but LOTS of great other roads on the southern end. The Pinhook area, parts of 281, Slick Fisher road, Macedonia Church Rd, and if you want to get a little further NC/SC 178. 215 also makes a great loop with 276.

In the summer I try to avoid 64 between Highlands and Brevard and the Brevard side of 276 due to motorhomes with FL plates :whistle .

me and the minister of moonshine took a tour of southern mountainia two weekends ago.

You talkin' about me? I'm good with that title! :buds

some arcane dirt roads *and* the usual paved twisty suspects were ridden, to give the n00b minister a taste of the region.

And a fine taste it was indeed!

I'd be happy to join youse guys for that.

A very good list! 215 only goes nowhere if you don't know the gems around it. Not much to do on the north side but LOTS of great other roads on the southern end. The Pinhook area, parts of 281, Slick Fisher road, Macedonia Church Rd, and if you want to get a little further NC/SC 178. 215 also makes a great loop with 276.

shhhhhhhh!

these roads all suck.

pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! :nono

shhhhhhhh!

these roads all suck.

pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! :nono

Oh you have probably been there this winter and have first hand knowledge of how hard the winter has been on those roads.

It will likely take NC DOT years to properly fix them.

Now how about that BBQ ride.

Cycle world show in GVL this weekend!

Last edited:
Back