• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The great state of Mountainia

Visian

look out!!!
Last edited:
an easy one to get started

this is from a ride sheet prepared for the 1996 BMW MOA rally in Morganton, NC.

these roads are all near the asheville area, and many would be relevant to rallygoers in 2009. :evil

Highway 181 -- High-speed sweepers

This is the main route between the Rally and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and is extremely fun in both directions. Plenty of wide shoulders and passing lanes make life wonderful. Take the parkway north and its not too many miles to Grandfather Mountain...Banner Elk...Valle Crucis...all good places for lunch.

Highway 126
For a short ride in the country without going to the mountains, this road leads you West from the Rally and most of the way around the south side of Lake James before running into HIghway 70. There are roads along both shores of the Lake...you'll need a DeLorme or USGS for precise directions. Or just get lost!

Bike Route 2/Highway 90
Some of these roads aren't on regular maps. Take Bost Road north out of Rally site. Go to Piedmont road and turn left. Turn right on Brown Mountain Beach Road (Bike Route 2). The road changes names to Adako Road. Eventually, you intersect with and turn right on Highway 90. Turn left on 321 and go up the mountain to Blowing Rock, where there are a million places to have lunch.

Very tight twisties -- Highway 226A
Take Highway 70 West (or I-40 West) until it intersects with Highway 226 in Marion. Go west until you see Highway 226A split off. This is a gnarly road...and there are a few junkyards along the way...but the road is not heavily travelled and is a real workout for your tires.

Very tight twisties -- Highway 80
Taking Highway 70 West from the Rally, this very interesting road is the way to go if you're heading south on the Parkway. Follow 70 West and 80 turns off to the right just past Marion. It's turn after turn all the way to the top of the hill, where you can ride on the BRP to Mount Mitchell, or continue on along a very fun country road that goes for miles with virtually no traffic.

For the Dual-sporter
Take Highway 126 West from Morganton...look for Old NC105 on the right after you start running along the north shore of Lake James. Old 105 quickly turns into gravel. There are challenging sections, but everything is passible even by an R1100 GS, unless it rains. There are a number of places to stop and look along the way. Old 105 goes about 15 miles to Linville Falls. Eat lunch at Famous Louise's. From here you can ride the parkway or go on other adventures.

Take Bost Road north out of Rally site. Go to Piedmont road and turn left. Turn right on Brown Mountain Beach Road (Bike Route 2). The road takes a left to Brown Mountain Beach (a large locals-only camping facility) and turns into gravel and follows Wilson Creek (lots of good swimming holes). Eventually you will intersect with and turn right on 90, which eventually turns paved again. Turn left on 321 and go up the mountain to Blowing Rock, where there are a million places to have lunch. Then just pick some gravel roads and get lost.

Squiggly lines on the map
These roads are just plain good riding.
They may not necessarily go anywhere, but is that really the point?

Road NC 194 Goes to: Banner Elk
Very twisty Valle Cruces
Mast General Store
Boone

Make this road half of a loop that includes the Blue Ridge Parkway and you've got a nice half-day ride. Take 181 North across the BRP and turn right on 194 toward Banner Elk. There are several good restaurants for lunch or dinner in Banner Elk. 194 then goes to Valle Cruces, home of the Mast General Store (lots of old stuff) and then through Boone (tourist traffic hell) and on to

Road NC 9 Goes to: Lake Lure
Twisty with some tourism Chimney Rock
Hickory Nut Gorge

This is is primo road that heads south from Black Mountain (just west of Morganton). Take it until it hooks up with 64 East, and before long you'll pass Hickory Nut Gorge and Falls, Chimney Rock, Lake Lure (great place for lunch), before heading back to the Rally via 64 east. This is an excellent half day ride.

Road NC 215 Goes to: Nowhere
A Rider's road

If you like curves, ride this road. Take I-40 west past Asheville and exit on Hwy 74 West/Hwys 19/23 South. Got to Canton and takeHwy215 South. This road goes for 30+ miles of heavenly turns with extremely light traffic, crosses the BRP and ends on Highway 64, which you can take east back to the rally.

Road NC 107 Goes to: Nowhere
Another Rider's road Highlands

Here's a real twistie loop. Take the BRP south to about Milepost 440, and take Hwy 74 West/ Hwy 23 South. Hwy 107 goes south out of Sylva. You can follow this most excellent road to Hwy 64 east and back to the rally, or go where only the locals go by following Hwy 107 across Hwy 64 into South Carolina, taking Hwy 28 West (great road!) to Highlands. In Highlands 28 merges with 64 West, and goes past some great waterfalls before hooking up with Hwy 74 east back to the Rally.

Hwy NC16 to Hwy NC88 to the Railroad Grade Goes to: Nowhere
Good loop tour that you'll probably get lost on

This road is an excellent country tour that combines a bit of twisties along the way. Take Highway 64 East from Morganton to Lenoir, Hwy 18 East to Wilkesboro, Hwy 421 North and look for Hwy 16 on the right. Take Hwy 16 West across the BRP, it connects to Hwy 88 in Warrensville. Turn left (West) and look for Railroad Grade on left. This is a narrow country lane that goes through Todd and eventually connects with Hwy 221. Turn right (South) and ride the BRP back to the rally. If you don't get lost, I'm impressed.

Hwy NC80 to Hwy NC226 Goes to: Nowhere
Twisty, remote, very little traffic

This is fun for people who like to ride a lot and stop very little. Take I-40 West from Rally. Go north through Marion on Hwy 226/221 Bypass (there is a little construction here). Take Hwy 70 West a very short way and take a right on Hwy 80. This curvy road goes up over the BRP, down, across Hwy 19E and dead ends into Cane Creek Road. Turn right and right again on Hwy 226. 226 goes to the BRP. Take BRP south a short way to Little Swizerland and find road 226A. Take it East back to Hwy 226 and back to Rally.

Dual Sport Roads

Old Highway 105
Take Highway 126 West from Morganton...look for Old NC105 on the right after you start running along the north shore of Lake James. Old 105 quickly turns into gravel. There are challenging sections, but everything is passable even by an R1100 GS, unless it rains. This road requires moderate off-road skills...there are a few steep spots. There are a number of places to stop and look along the way. Old 105 goes about 15 miles to Linville Falls. Eat lunch at Famous Louise's. From here you can ride the parkway or go on other adventures.

The Old Linville Road
This is a great ride. Go west from the Rally through Marion and follow 221/226 out of town. Pardon the construction. Look for Old Highway 221 and turn right. Old Linville Road goes left and parallels 221/226 on the way to Linville Falls. You can get on the BRP, or if you're real macho, take 183 north and look for Old NC 105 as it splits off to the right. This is an excellent gravel return route to the Rally.

Buffalo Cove - Elk Creek to the parkway
This is fun country lane riding that gives you some tame gravel road on your very-twity way up to the BRP. Any motorcycle can ride this road. It will take you no more than 2.5 hours to complete this section. From there, you can take the BRP to other places.

Bost Road north, turn left on Piedmont Road
Turn right on Brown Mountain Beach Road
To Johns River, follow 90 east
Go straight across Highway 321
Follow Highway 268, turn left on Buffalo Cove Road
Turn left on Elk Creek and follow up to BRP

Craggy Gardens - 197
This gravel road goes off the BRP, exiting from the rear of the Craggy Gardens parking lot. It has no major obstacles, but is very twisty. It has several small waterfalls along the way. When you get to the bottom, you can either turn around and go back up to the parkway, or continue dualsporting by turning left on Dillingham Road (paved) and then right on 197 (paved...then easy graded gravel up and down the mountain...then paved again.) 197 connects with 19E, turn right and head back to the BRP, or other adventures, or take 194 to 181 back to the Rally.

Day rides with something to do

These rides are all extremely comfortable day trips, and not intended to challenge the distance rider. Included are some things to do other than ride.

Scottish Highlands Games
At Grandfather Mountain
(see below)

Grandfather Mountain to Banner Elk and Valle Crucis
The highest point in the Blue Ridge Mountains, there is a cool (literally!) visitor center, a suspension bridge and a bioshpere exhibit. Take Hwy 181 from the Rally North to the BRP. Take BRP North and look for the signs. There is an entry fee, and it may be a bit crowded, due to the Scottish Games.

After your visit, you can return the way you came, or continue on for another couple of hoursby taking Hwy 105 North to Hwy 184 West. Go to Banner Elk, and turn East (right) on Hwy 194. This is an incredibly twisty road that goes to Valle Cruces. Stop at the Mast General Store if you are into antiques.
Hwy 194 goes through Boone (traffic and tourists) and gets twisty again. At the intersection with Hwy 221, take 221 South to the BRP and the BRP south to Hwy 181 and back to the Rally.

Mount Mitchell -- Hiking
This is the highest mountain east of the Mississippi. There isn't a whole bunch to do other than look, picnic and hike in the State Park, but for many folks, that's what it's all about. Take I-40 West from Rally, take the Hwy 226/Hwy 221 bypass north, which passes west of Marion. Take Hwy 70 West (left) and Hwy 80 West (right), a twisty road up to the BRP.

Take the BRP South to Mt. Mitchell State Park. Picnic, look and hike. The hiking is primitive and pretty tough. This is an excelent place to camp if you like cool weather.

To return to the Rally, take the BRP North to Hwy 181South, and back to Morganton.

Waterfalls
You can take in as much or as little of this as you like. If you do it all, it's a pretty long ride. This ride is better to take on Thursday or Friday, as some of the roads and attractions can be a bit crowded on the weekend.

Take Hwy 64 West from Morganton, through Rutherfordton to Lake Lure. This is a good place for breakfast if you get started early, or lunch if you don't. Look for Hickory Nut Gorge and Falls (the falls are twice as high as Niagra!). The gorge is beautiful.

Continue on Hwy 64 West through Hendersonville (a bit crowded). When Hwy 64 turns left, continue stright on Hwy 276 into the Pisgah National Forest. Stop at Looking Glass Falls, one of the most photographed falls in the US. Stop at "The Cradle of Forestry" if you are interested in the history of the US Forest service, otherwise continue up to the BRP and take it South.

Take Hwy 215 South from the BRP (world-class twisties) and turn right on Hwy 64 (West). Look for Hwy 281 South and turn left (South) to Whitewater Falls, the highest falls east of the Mississippi.

Continue on Hwy 281 South until it intersects with Highway 107 North. Turn Right and go back to Hwy 64 West. Turn left and go to Highlands. There are a number of good restaurants here, too.

Continue on Hwy 64 West through more excellent twisties. Stop at Dry Falls (you'll see how it got its name...) and stop and look at Cullasaja Falls.

Hwy 64 continues and intersect with Hwy 441/Hwy 23 North. At this point you can return to the Rally via this road and I-40 East.

Thanks for the road info. I would live to live in your state.:thumb I'll have to settle for frequent visits.

we were just down in gaineville for thanksgiving. i christened my HP2 in the deep sand at Ocala National Forest.

just noticed that TN and KY are considered "midwest" in our regional architecture.

:nono

rule mountainia! :usa

Dear Governor Visian,

As you are the first governor of the great state of Mountainia, may I offer my services to paint your formal portrait to hang under the lofty ceilings of the State Capitol’s Hall of Governors (of which you are the one and only)?

Additionally, have you decided upon a State Motto, Flower, Song and Nickname?

Regards,

Additionally, have you decided upon a State Motto, Flower, Song and Nickname?

motto: we put the "T" in twisties

flower: mountain laurel, natch. one ride over roan mountain and you'll know why.

song: high-ho, high-ho, it's off to ride we go

nickname (for cage drivers): the dramamine state

nickname (for riders): the woo-HOO state.

:burnout

we were just down in gaineville for thanksgiving. i christened my HP2 in the deep sand at Ocala National Forest.

just noticed that TN and KY are considered "midwest" in our regional architecture.

:nono

rule mountainia! :usa

Let us know if you are passing through again!

Annex TN and KY. They are on the riding maps with the rest of Mountainia.

more from mountainia

... which encompasses west virginia (by god).

these are loops that were prepared for the 2003 rally, most rides are in the charleston area:

The Bolt Mountain Ride (currently not available)

Country roads

The High Road (currently not available)

The Low Road (aka the New River Ride) (currently not available)

Grist Mills and Great Lunch

Top 10 rides, #s 1-4

Top 10 rides, #s 5-10 (currently not available)

ride research provided by weeble, who never wobbles. :D

There are also a bunch of good ride descriptions linked from the old rally hom page, unfortunately, the pictures got un-linked during the rebuild of the site a few years ago.

rule, mountaina! :usa

ian

Last edited:
I am happy to be a resident of Mountainia.:D

Glad I found this post! Thanks for the useful information. I have some new places to check out between now and the 09 Rally.

(Mountania) it's a new state i invented... consists of north georgia, east tennessee, western nc, parts of virginia, west virginia and kentucky
ian

Viva Mountania !!!

Ian, you clever rascal, I proclaim you Sir Visian, Earl of Mountania

(now you have to buy us all a round at Gray this summer)

now, i'm not dissing or denigrating the great riding in that part of the country (i've enjoyed it many times), but iff'n ya'll are gonna call the place "Mountainia", wouldn't it be proper and all to have some REAL mountains around there?
i mean c'mon now. those little bumps ya'll got back east don't really qualify as mountains, do they? Real Manly Mountains have snow on them, all year round, right?
i think with those Truth in Advertising laws, maybe you should rethink the name to "PrettyBigHillstania", or some such. :stick

Attachments

• 34 & 36 into RMNP.jpg
    34 & 36 into RMNP.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 288
now, i'm not dissing or denigrating .... maybe you should rethink the name to "PrettyBigHillstania", or some such. :stick

Alright now Bikerfish, while you're busy over the next few months digging yourself out from under the snow and day dreaming of riding your manly mountains, we'uns here in Mountania will be out smoking the twisties (so to speak).

We don't need no stinkin' snow capped, road closed peaks.

Mountania - where the men & women of Appalachia ride 12 months a year.

:wave

(Guvner V, is it time to call out the militia?)

oh, i never considered debating length of riding season with ya'll- thats a dead loss for us. i was just concerned about how ya'll were deluding yourselves into believing that those piles of dirt were muntains, that's all!
let's have a lesson on it, okay?
piles of "by god" dirt and a couple of rocks:
102-0240_IMG.jpg

mountain:
descendingMcClurePassnorthbound.jpg

see the difference?

102-0240_IMG.jpg

Bikerfish, permit me to also offer a brief geography lesson:

Your piles of "by god" dirt are named Seneca Rocks. Even West Virginians don't pretend that they are mountains. The big peaks in Mountania are in Tennessee and North Carolina.

Your selection of that photo to depict Mountania is a bit disingenuous - sort of like my posting a picture of an east Colorado prairie dog mound and calling it the "Best of the Rockies".

You've made your point, the Rockies are taller than the Appalachians (as I learned in the 4th grade). Now, please go trolling elsewhere.

:snore

oh, i never considered debating length of riding season with ya'll- thats a dead loss for us. i was just concerned about how ya'll were deluding yourselves into believing that those piles of dirt were muntains, that's all!
102-0240_IMG.jpg

mountain:

see the difference?

Hey! Now you're gettin personal,, them thar rocks (Seneca Rocks, that is!) is home to the Fof (Festival of Fives) I host there, so watch it dude! :laugh..
beside we may not have snow all the time, but we get plenty of this.....taken 3 weeks ago...

ride-3-web.jpg

and we can go see it by bike year-round....

ride-6-web.jpg

I think we got ya beat age wize too.... so there........:nyah

now if you're looking for REAL mountains, well then you best head to my country of origin and beat it over to Europe and the alps and such! :stick

RM

German by birth, Pastafairian by choice...... :lol

i think with those Truth in Advertising laws, maybe you should rethink the name to "PrettyBigHillstania", or some such. :stick

*our* mountains are far older than your mountains, so we were here first. as a matter of fact, our mountains are among the oldest on earth.

careful, or we will sue you for copyright infringement and *take* your mountains in payment. :nod

don't be messin' with mountainian rednecks. :nono

we have moonshine.

earl

Real mountains??

Hey Bikerfish. If you want real mountains in the northeren hemisphere then you best head further north to your cousins in Canada. Now there are some real mountains. And no I'm not a Canook eh. And yes I've ridden just about every range in the US.:wave
Mo

hey now, all in fun boys, all in fun. i would have given a better representative pic of your hills, but that was about what was handy.
is this better?
dragonoverlook-1.jpg

so when big mountains get old and ready to die, i guess they travel Back East, is that it?
and no, we're not so big on the 'shine, but our snow covered mountains give up some real fine clear water, that makes for some bodacious quality microbrews (and please, don't throw the stuff the Adolf makes in Golden back at me- that's just Bud with a different label, and really is not what we do here. come up some time to the TOR in Paonia, i'll be glad to buy you some of Colorado's finest!
....and share some real mountain riding with ya'll!
southsideofMcClurepass2.jpg

hey now, all in fun boys, all in fun. i would have given a better representative pic of your hills, but that was about what was handy.
is this better?
dragonoverlook-1.jpg

so when big mountains get old and ready to die, i guess they travel Back East, is that it?
and no, we're not so big on the 'shine, but our snow covered mountains give up some real fine clear water, that makes for some bodacious quality microbrews (and please, don't throw the stuff the Adolf makes in Golden back at me- that's just Bud with a different label, and really is not what we do here. come up some time to the TOR in Paonia, i'll be glad to buy you some of Colorado's finest!
....and share some real mountain riding with ya'll!
southsideofMcClurepass2.jpg

Yeah, I think we sorta knew that! Same with me, I wasn't Really being serious either! We're used to being ribbed about our little mole hills! :lol They do get better at the southern end but then they lose their Blue coloration.

RM

we have moonshine.

earl

see, now you're making the case for my position. those moonshiners were not called "Mountainbillys" now, were they? nope- thems was hillbillys. They knew where they lived, and self named accordingly. I'm just suggesting that you might want to do the same. :brow

Back