• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Puget Sound area commuters?

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
I see you out there every day on your GS or your C or your RT or your K-bike.

Who here commutes year-round on their BMW? Where do you commute from/to?

I live near the Canyon Park area of South Snohomish County, near Mill Creek, Bothell, Lynnwood, Brier, etc. I work in downtown Seattle. My commute takes me south on I-5 every morning and north on I-5 every afternoon.

Are you one of the riders I wave/nod my head to as we pass each other?

Nope, I'm south end. Puyallup to Tukwila. I do see a champagne K12LT occasionally around Tukwila.

I ride daily on my RT but typically (99%) only in the Everett area the other 1% is zipping down 405 to Renton.

This spring I came out to snow on the bike numerous times. The parking in those situations is excellent:dance

I did see a guy on a dark blue K75 last Sunday heading north on 5, turned off to head towards Arlington, it was a nice day for a ride.

Juanita to Redmond commute

Commute almost every day on my '04 RT

Bainbridge to Seattle via the Washington State Ferry system. Depending on which job I'm headed for it's either southbound on Alaskan Way South to West Seattle or north to Queen Anne.

Lots of beemers on the ferry...

Ahem... you forgot about us R riders

I see you out there every day on your GS or your C or your RT or your K-bike.

Every day from West Seattle, these days only to downtown.

A short ride indeed, but it took an hour to get home tonight because of the usual panic-stricken cage-drivers trying to avoid the promise of nonexistent snow.

First of all, a "C" bike or an "RT" are both "R" bikes, so it's not like "R" bikes were left out in the cold!

The guy I bought my first BMW from lived on Bainbridge. He told me about the legions of M/C commuters who all ride BMWs and wear 'Stiches on the boat. That's how I learned of the venerable 'Stich and came to acquire one myself.

My office is at the corner of 3rd and Marion downtown. Marion is a popular street for motorists exiting the ferry and heading up to First Hill or I-5. If I time it right, I can watch a parade of three or four BMWs, obviously fresh off the ferry, heading up the hill towards I-5. If ever a squadron of M/Cs are heading up Marion, you can rest assured that a ferry just started unloading down at Coleman Dock.

The real fun is going home (back to the island) in the late afternoon...it's like the start of a GP race and you get to dodge bicyclists on the way up to the first light...

I can't say that I ride my bike every day but I do ride often. For daily commuteing I stay in Kitsap County. I leave Olalla towards Hwy 16 then to Hwy 3 to Subbase Bangor and then back home, 28 miles each way. I am longing to ride as I have too much snow and ice at the house to even consider going for a ride. As soon as the white stuff melts away enough for me to exit my property I will be back at it, hopefully sometime this week.

Chuck Senn
R1200RT (Red, the fastest color)

Last edited:
Ahh yes, those dark, cold, wet mornings. I've been commuting from Tacoma to Bellevue right up until this recent snow storm. I'm anxious to get back on my GS after the New Year. I just added some Piaa 510s which should help.
Rob

Gee! It is good to see other BMW commuters!

As a Rider who is out there just about every day, Rain or Shine (But not Ice and Snow!) It is good to know I am not alone. Though at 5 am it is pretty lonely out on the I405 commute! I am the Blue F800ST with a BMW Motorrad Rack bag! Wave at me next time!

With the ice and snow finally gone, it looks like decent riding weather this week. Hmmm, 50's on <cough> Friday <cough>. <Sneeze> I feel a cold coming on later <sniffle> this week :wave

Well the weather report is warm rain!

Looks like the Snow and Cold is finally leaving, just in time to go back to work after the holidays. Well I am ready with my new Gerbing heated liner. Yeah!

Looks like the Snow and Cold is finally leaving, just in time to go back to work after the holidays. Well I am ready with my new Gerbing heated liner. Yeah!

You may not need it this week after Monday!

One brave RT rider on the 0520 ferry today. 7" of snow on parts of Kitsap County last night. I got "stuck" at girlfriend's house last night and had to drive over in the vanagon:(

Well the weather report is warm rain! Much, Much, MORE!

Just was watching the weather report, looks like we are going from Snow to HEAVY RAIN! Definitely not riding weather. Boy, i would really like it to let me ride!:bikes

Frog strangler here in Everett @ 4:40 AM I'll probably fire up the bike tomorrow after work and ride in Thurs or Fri depending on the severity of the frogs comin down.:dance

I'll look for you Coyote.
Yea, I do the I-5 to 405 route from Tacoma to Bellevue. I rode Tuesday and got caught in a hellacious downpour and wind on my way home. Love the new Piaas though.
I may give it a go tomorrow if this rain lets up. It is really the deep pools of standing water and the other drivers that I worry about most.
See ya,
Rob

A cold but fast run into Bellevue today. Hey, who was that on the other GS that passed me? You had me going 85 through the Renton curves trying to catch ya.

Back