• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New York City

tessler

univers zero
So nice they named it twice. So big it needs it's own thread.

Home of the Big Gig, The Ear Inn, Nathan's Famous, Yankee Stadium and countless potholes and manhole covers.

2008-10-Empire-State-Building-w650.jpg

Dig in!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LgIvDI2bmyE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LgIvDI2bmyE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Manhatten BMW .

Goodness... The cheese factor in that video is about 550% :ha

Prefab Sprout used to be one of the best, most innovative bands of the 80s...
51P1uLFSFFL._SS500_.jpg

BMW of Manhattan, everybody's favorite dealership. Just ask Bubba, Orlando and Snoone to chime in with their tales from the crypt.

Goodness... The cheese factor in that video is about 550% :ha

Prefab Sprout used to be one of the best, most innovative bands of the 80s...
51P1uLFSFFL._SS500_.jpg

BMW of Manhattan, everybody's favorite dealership. Just ask Bubba, Orlando and Snoone to chime in with their tales from the crypt.

As soon as I open my mouth about that lovely place this thread would end up in the doghouse.... I'll tell you this, I live over 2 hrs from Max's and that's where my bike is now getting almost $3,000 worth of work done... BMW of Manhattan has allowed that to happen right under the nose of corporate headquarters. They could care less about the perception that their flagship dealership is wholly incompetent in every aspect of their business...

Please don't get me started.. I could go on and on about how stupid their situation is!!

I'll be in The City this Sunday for a once-a-year holiday concert. We start with brunch at the Delta Grill on 48th and 9th; blackened catfish and a bloody mary with live music. It's a Cajun place and you could try alligator here if you want, but the gumbo and jamulaya are also good.

Then off to Lincoln Center where the Canadian Brass do their holiday concert. They hook up with the brass section of the NY Philharmonic for a variety of types of music - Carols, classical, even some Klezmer.

Finally, on the way back to the train station, a stop-off at Pigale, a French restaurant at 48th and 8th, for Leffe brune on tap and mussels.

A perfect day in the city.

I'll be in The City this Sunday for a once-a-year holiday concert. We start with brunch at the Delta Grill on 48th and 9th; blackened catfish and a bloody mary with live music. It's a Cajun place and you could try alligator here if you want, but the gumbo and jamulaya are also good.

Then off to Lincoln Center where the Canadian Brass do their holiday concert. They hook up with the brass section of the NY Philharmonic for a variety of types of music - Carols, classical, even some Klezmer.

Finally, on the way back to the train station, a stop-off at Pigale, a French restaurant at 48th and 8th, for Leffe brune on tap and mussels.

A perfect day in the city.
PJ,
That is a pretty much perfect day in the city. I know all stops on your itinerary. I live down the street from Lincoln Center, and Hell's Kitchen (where both Delta Grill and Pigalle are) is one of my favorite areas for good bars and restaurants.

Enjoy! Should be nice and chilly this weekend (it's currently in the 60s! Go figure).

As soon as I open my mouth about that lovely place this thread would end up in the doghouse.... I'll tell you this, I live over 2 hrs from Max's and that's where my bike is now getting almost $3,000 worth of work done... BMW of Manhattan has allowed that to happen right under the nose of corporate headquarters. They could care less about the perception that their flagship dealership is wholly incompetent in every aspect of their business...

Please don't get me started.. I could go on and on about how stupid their situation is!!
Actually you should get started.

I think it's only appropriate that customers be able to vent about negative experiences at dealerships like these.

In my opinion, one of the best little secrets in Chelsea is the Inn on 23rd, a fantastic B&B in the heart of one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in NYC. All of the rooms are unique and interesting, and the breakfast is prepared by a culinary institute, so get ready to be pampered. The colorful bars and restaurants around the Inn are too numerous to list. However, my wife and I often stroll down to the Village for a lobster roll at the Pearl Oyster Bar and then onto some club for live music. What a city!

Actually you should get started.

I think it's only appropriate that customers be able to vent about negative experiences at dealerships like these.

Agreed.

My zen has moved past that time period in my life when I bought my K in NYC.
If you could have yanked those buggers through the phone more than a decade ago I would have pulled them to the mid-west like the fastest transporter chute you've ever seen. Thank Allah that day is past. I hear they went bankrupt and they're replacements in the BMW bike biz are just as bad.

Thank Allah for Max! :thumb

As far as food goes in my former stomping and gastronomic training ground...just follow your nose. But Carmines, Gotham bar and Grill and Chanterelle all have done me well.
Exceptional service, staff and vittles. NYC is still my home. :usa

Another hidden favorite, hidden 'cause it's over on 10th, is Hallo Berlin a German restaurant that has more beers on tap than I ever heard of. They say they are the "Best of the Wurst."
http://www.halloberlinrestaurant.com/
I remember when he (the owner) had a little stand in the Rockefeller Center area and his first "real" location was on 51st just west of 9th. That's going back about 20 years...

Rolf's over in Gramercy Park is my favorite, but I have a soft spot for the old Heidelberg in Yorkville, only because it's one of the last hold-outs in the old Germantown section of Manhattan.

In my opinion, one of the best little secrets in Chelsea is the Inn on 23rd, a fantastic B&B in the heart of one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in NYC. All of the rooms are unique and interesting, and the breakfast is prepared by a culinary institute, so get ready to be pampered. The colorful bars and restaurants around the Inn are too numerous to list. However, my wife and I often stroll down to the Village for a lobster roll at the Pearl Oyster Bar and then onto some club for live music. What a city!
I've heard good things about the Inn on 23rd (hint hint folks, very close to El Quijote... think Big Gig ;)).

Pearl Oyster is one of the few recent seafood places in the city that "get it". Great fare and atmosphere. The other, in my book (strictly old-school NYC seafood, mind you) is still the Grand Central Oyster Bar.

Ha! This is great. I'll be in NYC next weekend and it's nice to have tips from the city savvy. :wave
You'd better check with Statdawg then, Ben.

He's got a killer walking tour that ends up at El Quijote with Burns making the following face... :ha

n722526678_1511354_6785.jpg

Do people in New York City actually wear hats that are as doofy looking as the one in that video? That's worse than the one my dad wore back in 1949.

Do people in New York City actually wear hats that are as doofy looking as the one in that video? That's worse than the one my dad wore back in 1949.
I haven't seen a hat worn here since November 27, 2008... :D

And these were visitors!

425607348_qJUgL-M.jpg

I used to work for IBM and in the 70's I would have to go into Manhatten either for a class or a meeting. At the end of the day we would hop a cab down to the tip of the island and go up to WOW - Windows on the World - which was at approx the 102 floor of the World Trade Center. We were all dressed up anyway and could rub elbows with the stock traders, etc. For such a Ritzy place they had reasonable Bloody Marys and steak teryaki - steak-onna-stick - appitizers.

It was also a great place to take a date for drinks before a show! I miss WOW more than any other placce in the city. Second would be Schribner's bookstore on 5th where Max Perkins had an office and would meet with F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Faulkner et al.

Back