Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ontario ...

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    I also think Midwest is a poor choice. Central seems more appropriate. I know that Ontario does not want to be identified with the West..... and it doesn't want to be identified with Quebec either..... and I really know, even though we share the same waters, that Ontario does not want to be identified with Atlantic Canada aka The East. So, Central certainly seems much more suitable than ..... say, 'Upper Canada' - Bob
    Given that Toronto is the undisputed economic engine of the country and the self-proclaimed (perhaps a bit tongue in cheek) centre of the universe, that should give some geographic and gravitational pull to swing all of Ontario back into the East.

That said, let's be very clear on this though, Eastern Canada in the colloquial sense is definitely the Maritimes.
    g r a n t

Basing the location on population density on the province, with no offense intended to our northern provincial members, we should be Central. How do we get this changed! Also, we finally got the Leafs moved out of the Western Division to the East, we need to move the rest of us to the east...
    Last edited by dlowry; 02-02-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Speeling..
    Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMacEachern View Post
    Given that Toronto is the undisputed economic engine of the country and the self-proclaimed (perhaps a bit tongue in cheek) centre of the universe, that should give some geographic and gravitational pull to swing all of Ontario back into the East.

That said, let's be very clear on this though, Eastern Canada in the colloquial sense is definitely the Maritimes.
    ah.... but therein lies the exclusion of the beautiful Province of Newfoundland/Labrador. They are in Atlantic Canada not the Maritimes which consists of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Ontario is Central and we are East. Not sure what to call La Belle Province in this designation.

Ok, so now who is going to straighten this whole thing out? I think that maybe the U.S. can call itself whatever it wants but crossing the border should, so I think, include membership in that part of North America in the definition process. After all this is not the BMW Owners of the United States . -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ah.... but therein lies the exclusion of the beautiful Province of Newfoundland/Labrador. They are in Atlantic Canada not the Maritimes which consists of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Ontario is Central and we are East. Not sure what to call La Belle Province in this designation.

Point taken, although NFLD was included in my intent. Thanks.

As an aside, when I used to live in Vancouver I could only laugh when watching the local TV station (the local version of CTV) give the "National" weather. Several times I noticed it went something like this for the National weather forecast:

"well it looks like BC will have another week of rain so get out your umbrellas. The Prairies will be enjoying unseasonably warm and sunny weather this week. Ontario will have a mix of sun and cloud. Qu?®bec will start out sunny be some of the Ontario cloud cover will catch up by the end of the week. And that's the National weather. And, now, on to International news."

Notice anything missing?
    g r a n t