New York State
New York Motorcycle Roads and Trips <-Click Here
For a National Map <- Click Here
New York Tourism geographically divides New York State into the following regions:
- Capital District– Saratoga Springs
- Chautauqua & Allegheny
- Finger Lakes
- Hudson River
- Leatherstocking (Central)_
- Niagara and the St. Lawrence
- New York City
1. Start your search for all things New York State at the official Empire State Website (http://www.empire.state.ny.us/) which then directs the visitor to: Tourism, Big Biz, Small Biz, High Tech and Film.
2. The Adirondacks. I live on the very edge of this old Mt. Range which has been the home of two winter Olympics. Visit this website to start your Adirondacks planning: http://visitadirondacks.com/ For an aerial tour <- Click there. Lake George in the Adirondack Mountains is home to Americade, the largest touring rally in the world. Americade always offers more activities than any other rally. June 1 - 6, 2009.
3. Albany is Capital of New York and just up the Hudson is Saratoga Springs the summer center of horse racing for the world. This central location is a logical encampment with rail, highway, air and water connections to the rest of the Empire State. Start your Albany planning here: http://www.roundthebend.com/capital/
4. The Catskills. Home of Color in the Catskills - the MOA's premier regional riding rendezvous. A world of natural beauty awaits you in the region of wide-open spaces, mountains, lakes and rivers. Antiques, canoeing, rock climbing, concerts and golf await you. Start your Catskills planning here:
5. Chautauqua & Allegheny. This quiet corner of NY might be easily overlooked by any but the most discriminating traveler. You won't have any trouble finding the Chautauqua/Allegheny region on your map of New York State - it's as far west as you can go! Start your Chautauqua & Allegheny planning here:
6. The Finger Lakes. The Finger Lakes is the home to one of the best BMW rallies. The rally is popular due to superb planning and to the numerous opportunities for sightseeing. For more information about The Finger Lakes Rally, click here. Don’t miss The Glen Curtis Museum. If your dream vacation is watching the sun set over hills across the lake from your cottage window, or observing wildlife from a cabin in the woods, you can do it in the Finger Lakes. Start your Finger Lakes planning here:
7. The Hudson River Valley. America’s first unique school of artists were inspired by the scenery in this valley. Watch Snoopy fight the Red Baron, visit the home of FDR, West Point or join the airheads at the world famous Annual Airheads at the Aerodrome. Start your Hudson River planning here
8. The Leatherstocking District. Leatherstocking, NY named for the unique leather leggings worn by frontiersmen and made famous by James Fenimore Cooper, this region is the geographic heartland of the state. If you are a baseball fan head for The Baseball Hall of Fame.
Start your Leatherstocking planning here:
9. The St. Lawrence River System. One of the few truly international areas in New York State, the Thousand Islands ~ Seaway Region is one of NY’s most popular vacation spots. Actually this river drains all the Great Lakes so it is not too much of a stretch to include
Start your St. Lawrence planning here:
Saving the best for last?
10. New York City or the Big Apple or Gotham home to the BIG Gig In Gotham is the Nation’s largest City. No one website can do it justice but the rules say, only website. So start with the newspaper that has all the news fit to print, The New York Times. Start your Big Apple planning here:
Check out this fancy interactive map
Last edited by PAULBACH; 03-03-2010 at 07:30 PM.