• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newfoundland & Labrador

I have a question or two that some of you may be able to answer:

1) I was thinking about getting into better shape and spending a day hiking Gros Morne. Has anyone attempted this climb? Did you find it worthwhile, or would I be better served hiking a different part of the park?

2) Regarding the ferry ride from NS to Newfoundland, and specifically cabin accommodations. They list several choices aside from the standard "reserve a seat". They have "dorm style" (I saw pictures - not horrible), and then they go into "4 berth cabin", "2 berth cabin", and "deluxe cabin". If you are traveling alone, do you end up sharing a 2 berth cabin with another traveler who you may not know? Just curious how that's setup. I could call them, but I figured I'd ask here first. I assume "deluxe cabin" is your own place (for $144/night I'd hope so!)?

Gros Morne is fantastic place to visit. It can be as long or short a visit as you have the time for. Check out grosmorne.com I've done the western brook pond hike and enjoyed it. The ferry tour supposed to be nice but we didnt have a reservation, so we didn't get on.

If you're taking the overnight crossing, get a cabin. the dormatory sleepers are bunk beds in a large room. not always quiet. The 4-berth cabin can be yours alone if you book it and don't bring any friends with you! It has its own shower and is quiet for a good night's rest. The deluxe is only available on the MV Atlantic Vision. If haven't been on this boat yet...

hope this helps...Sam

PS: yes I live in central Newfoundland, but I don't camp that much.

Last edited:
Another word of advice for those of you headed to the Rock, plan all your riding during daylight hours. Too many moose around at night, makes riding dangerous, especially up on the Northern Peninsula up around St. Anthony. I've seen 12 moose in the span of 45mins. They don't call them Newfie speed bumps for nothing.

I'm hoping to get home next year, torn between doing the TLH or the railway trail across the island. Too many places and not enough time.

Another word of advice for those of you headed to the Rock, plan all your riding during daylight hours. Too many moose around at night, makes riding dangerous, especially up on the Northern Peninsula up around St. Anthony. I've seen 12 moose in the span of 45mins. They don't call them Newfie speed bumps for nothing.

I'm hoping to get home next year, torn between doing the TLH or the railway trail across the island. Too many places and not enough time.

True enough, if your heading up the Great Northern Pennisula on Newfoundland's west cost, its not a matter if you'll see a moose its how many!

For the geology enthusiasts, the Long Range Mountains on the west coast (they're in Gros Morne National Park) are actually part of the Appalachian chain. Neat eh?

There are lots of family owned B&B's in communties/towns of all sizes. Premium gas (AKI of 91) is available everywhere except the tiniest ports of call.

The wind always blows in Newfoundland and it does rain a fair bit, so pack accordingly.

Jeez, I'm starting to sound like a tourist brochure....later folks.

Ernest Harmon AFB

Hello,

Saw your post and have to ask if you are familiar with what they did with Ernest Harmon Air Force Base. I know it was shut down sometime in the late 1970's or 1980's. Newfoundland tourism did not make reference to it at all. I was stationed there in 1962-1963 period.

I did a Google search on Stephenville, NF and it gives a brief history on the base and the airport there now.

Thanks,

Jim Deaton

Last edited:
Hello,

Saw your post and have to ask if you are familiar with what they did with Ernest Harmon Air Force Base. I know it was shut down sometime in the late 1970's or 1980's. Newfoundland tourism did not make reference to it at all. I was stationed there in 1962-1963 period.

Thanks,

Jim Deaton

I've never heard it referred to by its proper name of Ernest Harmon AFB. Its locally referred to as 'the base at Stephenville'. Its a civililan airport now. Popular rumor was that its an alternative landing site for the space shuttle as the runway is so long.

Sadly its fallen on hard times and is a shadow of its former self. The Americans had a largish (and welcome) presence in Newfoundland in the post WW II era. EH, Argentia and Fort Pepperel (?spelling) were prominent but have since been decommisioned.

Thanks for the info. Yes, it was in Stephenville, I remember. Too bad they could not have used it better. We lived in a nice 3 or 4 story brick barricks and it could have been used at least as a hotel. Brutal winters, though. We had 200" snowfall '62-'63. Whiteouts were wicked. But, the Canadian Air Ways civilian planes flew in any weather.

Thanks Again,

Jim

I flew in and out of Stephenville for a few years with the regional airlines on the Rock, Air Labrador and Air Nova. The base is pretty much gone, only a couple of hangars left. Haven't been there for a couple of years now. It can be a wild place to fly into, 60mph winds low ceilings and visibility, moderate to severe turbulence. Lots of fun.

Back