• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pennsylvania Information

What is the local law enforcement in Pennsylvania? Here in New Hampshire, it's town/city police and state police that enforce traffic laws. The deputy sheriffs typically don't do traffic enforcement, mainly court/jail duties. What's the deal in PA? Should we be cognizant of any car with a blue (or red?) light bar? :brow

The good part in PA, is any radar set up has to be stationary, they cant get you on the move like NY state. But they are around, especially on main roads.

Thanks...

Thanks, guys. It's not that I intend to show crass disregard to the traffic laws, I haven't had a ticket in a very long time. I just like to be informed. :dance And I monitor "radio waves" most of the time, too. :)

IMG2019-L.jpg

State Forest maps/info

Here is a great resource for maps of the state forests. The public use maps show the dirt roads, trails, and scenic views. And the paper maps are free for download or you can call the department and ask for them (also free). 717-787-2703

Last edited:
The good part in PA, is any radar set up has to be stationary, they cant get you on the move like NY state. But they are around, especially on main roads.

here's another word on PA Police:
in addition to the regular municipal police forces and the State Police, here in PA,

many smaller towns & communities now have *combined* enforcement agencies, called Regional Police.

the suburban or outlying areas around most any midsize/bigger town or city are called townships here. most townships have their own police forces, because, unlike small towns, they have the financial base to keep them afloat.

IMO it's the Regional Police and the Township Police one must watch out for

lots of gung-ho ex military types with attitude far bigger than their actual authority. you don't get a lot of breaks from these guys. but yeah, +1 on the stationary radar. we got that up on a lot of places.

reading through this entire thread, it again occurs to me what a fantastic place Pennsylvania is for motorcycling! mostly rural, largely mountainous, PA has it all- from dirt state forest roads for the GS riders, to twisty mountain roads, to back country lanes, to sweeping wide open US and Interstate highways, it really is fantastic.

i once read (and yes i know that 86.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot)
that PA has the 2nd highest number of motorcycle registrations in the USA. i almost believe it! out for a ride on a sunny Sunday, you'll pass SO many bikes. i go to other states and find myself wondering where the heck everyone is.

more often than not, the smaller roads are bereft of traffic! it's like there's a football game on every day and the locals are all home watching it! the drilling/digging for Marcellus Shale has messed up some of the great riding up in the Northern Tier area and certain other regions, and there's always logging trucks anywhere near the Allegheny National Forest,

but still, i gotta say Pennsylvania is the East Coast's *Secret Weapon*!

yes, there's great riding all through New York State, New England is beautiful, West Virgina and Virgina are endless, and yepper- Tennessee/North Georgia/Western North Carolina are all fantastic- but good ol Pennsyltuckey rivals them all. from side to side, from top to bottom, it is just beautiful.

AND you don't have to go to Lancaster County to see the Amish- they're all over the place so keep an eye out for them.

Cheers!
Tom (your friend near Harrisburg)

Police Cruisers Update

Hi all.
I drive/vanpool 30 miles of I80 and I380 for work.
This morning we were passed in the Pocono's by a State Trooper in a marked Dodge Magnum. Add that to the list. He was heading back to the barracks ending his night shift as usual they cruise seems like 80 mile hour, almost every morning. But I have notice they set up more speed traps when it gets closer to the months end and its probably a state wide practice, maybe.

There are 21 covered bridges in Columbia County Pennsylvania. The attached route takes you through (or by) 17 of them. The route is about 50% dirt roads and 50% paved roads. I started in Berwick but the route can start at Rupert Bridge which is just outside the Rally fairgrounds. It's about 140 miles and 6 hours of enjoyable riding.

so *this* is where the Covered Bridge Route came from!

Somehow it made it's way to me, and if you're entered in the GS Giant event, this ride earns points as an Adventure Detour and is a target rich environment for GS BS points.

Good show!

ian

Question Re US 11 Along The Susquehanna

I'm planning on coming up using I-81 from just east of Knoxville for expediency despite my usual dislike of the superslab.

Continuing map/satellite photo studies make it look very attractive to leave I-81 for US 11 at Harrisburg and follow The Susquehanna Trail and US 11 on around to Bloomsburg. Are there any good reasons not to use this stretch of US 11, such as super low speed limits or bad major road construction spanning large areas?

My other, older plan was to continue on I-81 to maybe Buck Run and work my way up to Bloomsburg mostly on SR 42. That route looks to have as many small communities with the normal slower speeds as the river route - but minus the river view.

(I already checked the link for motorcycle roads/rides in PA and didn't find anything on US 11, just a ride with a short stretch along the east bank of the river just above Harrisburg.)

What say ye local riders?

TIA

Continuing map/satellite photo studies make it look very attractive to leave I-81 for US 11 at Harrisburg and follow The Susquehanna Trail and US 11 on around to Bloomsburg. Are there any good reasons not to use this stretch of US 11, such as super low speed limits or bad major road construction spanning large areas?
TIA

15/11 is as boring as the slab, except slower. After the first 5 minutes the river is all the same view. If you must take the slab, I would try this.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216095386428690908839.0004a667f08e10226adde&msa=0

Some good twisty stuff, not great to make time, but very nice riding.

Thanks, I like those two options.

It does look twisty, as in good but time consuming. I've saved it to My Places. Depending on my timing as I get to the decision point, I can either use your route coming up, or stick with something faster.

Then if I don't use it coming up, I can use it on my return trip since I'm heading back towards Front Royal, VA to do the whole Skyline Drive/BRP on the way home when my schedule has way more flex in it.

Many thanks!

Thanks, I like those two options.

It does look twisty, as in good but time consuming. I've saved it to My Places. Depending on my timing as I get to the decision point, I can either use your route coming up, or stick with something faster.

Then if I don't use it coming up, I can use it on my return trip since I'm heading back towards Front Royal, VA to do the whole Skyline Drive/BRP on the way home when my schedule has way more flex in it.

Many thanks!

Look at the balloon I put up on the page also, a few more miles on 81 cuts off the bottom end, but gives you the 125 which many call PA's Deals Gap. Just take Mollysville rd and catch the route

Way cool! Thanks!

I just bought a large print (yeah, my eyes are getting old - but I'm not) PA map today which really puts different routes in perspective and gives me some good info for rides once I get up there. This is going to be one of those lifetime trips complete with the photos and memories. And I grew up in some pretty good riding territory back in the day.

Thanks for the route pffog
We hate 11/15. Rush hour traffic is painfully slow and to be avoided. After 6:00 or before 7:00 can be a good pace. Never thought about coming up 125, next time!. 487 - 61 to Shamokin 125 south will be our way south to Willville. :D
Have you riden 22/322 to Rt225 to Rt 325 to rt125?
Tony

We hate 11/15. Rush hour traffic is painfully slow and to be avoided. After 6:00 or before 7:00 can be a good pace. Never thought about coming up 125, next time!. 487 - 61 to Shamokin 125 south will be our way south to Willville. :D
Tony

No I actually take a plethora of small twisty back roads from the area NE of Hburg. In that area the NE/SW roads follow the valleys, and have lots of small, but interesting towns. and one of the sweetest sections is the road directly across 209, S of the 125.

Look at the balloon I put up on the page also, a few more miles on 81 cuts off the bottom end, but gives you the 125 which many call PA's Deals Gap. Just take Mollysville rd and catch the route

Yep, given the info posted just above this one regarding the rush hour perils on 11/15, I think that the 125 route just moved to the top.

Thanks again for all the info.

Yep, given the info posted just above this one regarding the rush hour perils on 11/15, I think that the 125 route just moved to the top.

Thanks again for all the info.

The worse rush hour is near Hummels Wharf / Selinsgrove area just take the old road around it.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/332069/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

back road into Bloom

For those riding Rt's 125, 61, to 487 this sweet backroad from Danville will allow you to avoid 11/15 from Danville to Bloomsburg. Google Map: East Market St. Danville, PA. River Drive, Danville, Pa. Rupert Drive, Rupert, PA. Bloomsburg, PA.

Tony

What on earth is occurring in that area that could create a rush hour?

Last edited:
Back