• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pennsylvania Information

I find most areas E of I81 to be too populated with lots of drives, houses, and low speed limits with roads full of Volvo's and minivans, so I stay away.
That is the same problem with some of the Back Mountain / Harveys Lake area roads ......... it depends on time of day and which day of the week since many people sleep here and work east of it. Also there are lots of commuters because Penn State has a campus in Lehman, Dallas has a University, and there is a huge State Prison that employees many in Jackson twp..

There are a few nice cuts through the Poconos but on weekends you have familys and vehicles pulling watercraft...........I save this area for a mid-week morning.

North center Pa near Tunkhannock to Towanda is the natural gas boom area so you may have to share the road with trucks. The Dushore area back roads are not bad in any direction.

I was just in the rural area of Bloomsburg this afternoon and had no traffic even on the main roads.............the bike ran very well. :)

RT 339 is bumpy near Zion Grove and the mountain over to Mahanoy City has leftover tar and chip still on the road from last fall. Usually from Mahanoy City I head towards Sheppton then towards Nuremburg once there you have other choices, even going towards Rock Glen is a nice.

Going the other direction there are many differant back roads to get to Hermys BMW in Port Clinton. Its nice to see the vastness of the coal fields then come summer they are blocked by trees.

The one from 144 E to Balnchard, and in that area the 445 is is one of the most technical in PA, IMHO, off camber turns and all.

Exit 144 at Runville and follow the township routes to Blanchard. The paved roads that exit to the north loop back to the main road. If you have a GS, you can go over Walker Ridge to Orviston. Then follow Beech Creek down to civilization.

PA 445 is Nittany to Madisonburg. A flat bed truck lost a load of 2"x4"'s on the roof of my 76 Beetle on that road in 79 or 80.

I was wondering if our membership would be interested in some of those off-the-beaten track routes ? I was thinking about doing a GPS file just north and northwest of the rally site but when I think about it there are just as nice roads going east and southeast or west.
I am interested in plotting some routes North of I 80. Just need to figure out how to do it on Zumo 550. Give me a PM.
tony

Columbia County Covered Bridge Loop

There are 21 covered bridges in Columbia County Pennsylvania. The attached route takes you through (or by) 17 of them. The route is about 50% dirt roads and 50% paved roads. I started in Berwick but the route can start at Rupert Bridge which is just outside the Rally fairgrounds. It's about 140 miles and 6 hours of enjoyable riding.

Attachments

• ColCoCovBrgTrks.gpx
    198.3 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to PA

A couple of favorites for those of you visiting the Bloomsburg Area:

Thumbs up on Two Jacks BMW, located in Wilkes-Barre, PA, about a 60 minute ride NE of Bloomsburg. Very good customer service. I was at their shop this weekend for riding gear and learned that they'll have a service center on-site at the Bloomsburg fairgrounds in July.

For a fun couple of hours try Bill's Old Bike Barn which has dozens of older HDs, MotoGuzzis, and other vintage motorcycles on display. Very unique. Located about 15 minutes NE of Bloomsburg. http://www.billsbikebarn.com/

A new brew pub is under construction in the North end of town, just off the I-80 ramps, called the Turkey Hill Brew Pub. Looks first rate. The owner expects to be operational in mid-April. No website at this time but imminent. Contact the Inn at Turkey Hill for more information. http://www.innatturkeyhill.com/newsworthy.html

Jeff C.
Glenmoore, PA
1993 K1100RS Mystic Red

A little west of Bloom

I live in Benton, PA a little north of Bloom, and so I definitely say that Rickett's Glen State Park is a must see. Also, one area that hasn't got much attention is the Union County area. Lewisburg, like Bloomsburg is a college town, so it has it's own great bars/restaurants worth checking out if you're headed that way. It's definitely an area worth considering. I like taking rt. 254 west from Benton to get there from my house. The views along this road are incredible (minus the power plant).

My favorite place to visit out there and a real hidden gem is a place called T&D's cats of the world. It's an exotic animal sanctuary located in Penn's Creek. All the animals there, including lions and tigers used to be people's pets, a lot of the personalstories of how the animals got there are incredible. The website is www.tdscats.com there are some nice rides out that way.

entering PA on 22 west of P'burgh, then what?

I'm looking at entering PA on 22 west of Pittsburgh. What would you recommend for a mostly 2 lane route from there to Bloomsburg?

TIA
Dave

Here are a couple of options. The northern one is a bit longer but probably more scenic.

The north route is better even if you had to ride I 80 for an hour. It took us one hour of snail pace to thourgh the Northumberland, PA bottle neck of RT 11 & RT 147 on thursday rush hour 3 to 4. About 6 F@*&^% miles My left hand is still numb. This is not the first time it has happened to us. I should know better by now.
Tony

Greetings
We to have breezed though midday, evenings and weekends. The Northumberland, PA bottle neck of RT 11 & RT 147 only happens around weekday quitting time.
tony

It would be good advice for everyone to avoid 11 at rush hour as much as possible. Marysville and Shamokin Dam are bottlenecks as well.

Looking forward to the rally

I'm really looking forward to riding through Pennsylvania in July. It sounds like there are a lot of good routes. Now I wish that I had booked more time.

I once rode through PA on my way home from a run down/up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I came across a fantastic route somewhere in the western part of the state. I really enjoyed it out there. I was the traffic. :~)

Penn State, State College Stuff, July 2011?

Rally goers may enjoy an 85 mile ride west over to State College, PA before, during or after the rally.

State College PA Has:

Penn State University Students: Many attend in the summer session as well. www.psu.edu

Kissell BMW, Ducati etc Motorcycle Dealer, recently moved just off Atherton Road, off 322 west of town. www.kissellmotorsports.com

Beaver Stadium: Joe Paterno's Football Team's Stage, 110,700 seats. Good Museum under grandstands, tours given. live.psu.edu/flickrset/72157625207329992

Berkey Creamery Ice Cream and Yogurt to die for: Free parking in parking garage in back but getting the gate to lift for motorcycles is tricky because pavement sensors are looking for car and a button push together, move motorcycle side to side and still reaching the button is the tricky part, two by two might work better. Corner of Bigler and Curtin Roads. http://creamery.psu.edu/store

College Ave (Main Street) Route 26, one way divides town from Penn State U. Two or three sections of Free motorcycle parking spaces on left. Diners and evening spots etc. The back street, Beaver Ave, one way the other way also has many shops and eateries.

Dirt Roads: Find Poe Paddy State Park with camping on trout stream, and Penn's view, in 7 mountains section, southeast of town 20 miles, (13 are dirt). http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/poepaddy.aspx

Hike Mount Nittany: East of town, drive part way up, hike last mile to good views of "Happy Valley." Sunset views too. http://www.hikemountnittany.com/

Tourist Information Center: Across Street from Beaver Football Stadium, just off Route 322

Museum: PA Military Museum 3 miles away in Boalsburg http://pamilmuseum.org/

Penn State's Art Festival July 14-17 http://www.arts-festival.com/

This content might be well liked by those coming to the rally.

I've warned Kissell's that they will feel the effects of thousands of BMW motorcyles nearby that week.

Keith of Kennett Sq

Just an FYI!

If any of you are in Bloomsburg at the rally, watch out for a Black GM/Chevy PU truck, with a short (2' Long) light bar on top and most recognizable a small thick black antenna mounted on the LR side of the bed.

Guy tried to deliberately run me off the road a couple years back, on 44 just N of Bloomsburg I wrote every Fire department and the local Sheriff and reported the incident. Never heard a thing back.

If it had a couple of flat tires during the rally, that would be a good thing.

More local riding 2 cents

My advice to visitors is frame an area and get lost. Use the south and main branches of the Susquehanna River and RT 118 to the north enjoy everything in between. To the east frame the Susquehanna river with I 80 to the north I 78 to the south and stay on this side of the Delaware river. If the roads are busy keep making turns. Set your GPS to have Bloomsburg your home and enjoy.

Pennsylvania has too many roads........

Statdawg I couldn't agree more except for us having too many roads. Maybe if I worked for Pendot! I grew up outside of Bloomsburg between Berwick and Orangeville at the foot of Knob Mouintain. I'm surely not a Pa Touring expert but have explored some in the last 25 years. I love the ride from Bloomsburg to Worlds End by way of Central, Rickets Glen State Park, LaPort and Eagles Mere. We saw two eagles on route to LaPort some years ago. A bag lunch overlooking the Loyalsock Creek Appalachian Trail and doesn't sound too bad! I'm sure a continuation to the PA Grand Canyon then a highway I80 cruise back to Bloomsburg would be a fantastic outing. Also Lockhaven and Renovo are prime examples of PA Appalachian Mountain territory.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/worldsend.aspx

As far as I know Centralia doesn't have any homes left. The government finally chased out everyone and tore them down. It's now just a stretch of road that passes a cemetery and some smoking holes and vent pipes. They drilled holes trying to locate the fires and thus let air into the burning coal veins. In the 80's and 90's you could see glowing holes in the ground. Everyone leaves it alone now. My father worked there in the 60's and 70's, (I can't remember the years anymore, forgive me) trying to push the fires out with heavy equipment. the dozer tracks got so hot you couldn't put your hands on them. They gave up fighting the fires.

About 8 miles outside Bloomsburg on the way to Centralia is Numedia Dragway. For a fee you can test your speed skills on Friday night!
http://www.numidiadragway.net/

I would like to add some local attractions that are interesting to me. The Pioneer Coal Mine and Hickory Run State Park were Middle School Field Trips. Hickory Run has a boulder field left over from when the Glaciers retreated. It's quite an anomaly.
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/hickoryrun.aspx

I have to mention Knobles Amusement Park again. I have seen it posted earlier but warrants another mention, and this is why. It's a smaller park but is very entertaining for all ages. It's cheep and you can literaly park your bike and be in line for a world class roller coaster ride in, ah, say 15- 20 min at the most. The Pheonix is awsome wooden coaster, you will want to go again! I think they have camping also. No admission fee, stay as long as you want.

http://www.knoebels.com/
I hope this was helpful. I accidentally deleted the post once and had to rewrite it.:scratch
Keep the rubber side down! BTW this not a dry state but beer is not sold in convenience stores. We have State Stores for Liquor and Distributors for beer. Bars are everywere, as are American Legions and VFWs to help you enjoy the stay here.

Hey All:

I am planning a ride from Rochester, NY to the Poconos. Heading down on Saturday the 28th and coming home to Rochester on the 29th.

Anyone have some tips on a route that would be nice to ride? Places to stay, and a good dinner?

Thanks!

Local police?

What is the local law enforcement in Pennsylvania? Here in New Hampshire, it's town/city police and state police that enforce traffic laws. The deputy sheriffs typically don't do traffic enforcement, mainly court/jail duties. What's the deal in PA? Should we be cognizant of any car with a blue (or red?) light bar? :brow

It's the same here and Bloomsburg police have plenty of practice maintaining order down town. Being a college town with yearly parties at Spring break ect. and the 4x4 Jamboree they keep busy. But for the most part they leave people alone and concentrate on problem areas. They want the business to continue to come back to town. Normally the good old days of open containers at the Square and BurgerKing, (ie the loop) are long gone, but they overlook alot as long as your not causing trouble. They put up "X cruises per hour past this point" signs on main street some years ago, mostly for show. But when Events are in town thats forgotten about.
Town police cruisers are well marked and the state police are too but they have unmarked chargers, mustangs and the occasional crown vics on the interstates. They may gear up the town force the first day or two to "keep the piece", but I doubt staties will be seen in town.

Back