• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire inflators

Foot pump?

I have used these on my Mtn bicycles...they do work and definitely will improve heart function...especially at altitude...find one that pumps on both strokes! I carry one ,but still have the cyclepro? pump that was given to me by the GS owner who traded me for the HD...

I can't remember where I saw it -- but doesn't somebody make a small foot pump for inflating motorcycle tires?

Last edited:
Something folks may want to double check is power capacity with pump use.

I got a 12V Powered pump works great but has a tendency to trip the Acc Socket off because it exceeds the rated current the bike wants to see at the socket.

To avoid this I rewired my rear ACC socket to my Centech fuse panel and selected a 15A fuse section - works great.

The reason for this post is to "test drive" any 12V pump you have before you need to use it.

If your pump does trigger the shut off of the acc plug and you don't have a fuse panel you can still use it by wiring the socket to a fused connector and connecting to the battery.

Luckily for me i was fixing a flat in my garage and was able to correct the acc socket limitations or I would have been in an uncomfortable position trying to get the tire repaired.

Something folks may want to double check is power capacity with pump use.

I got a 12V Powered pump works great but has a tendency to trip the Acc Socket off because it exceeds the rated current the bike wants to see at the socket.

To avoid this I rewired my rear ACC socket to my Centech fuse panel and selected a 15A fuse section - works great.

The reason for this post is to "test drive" any 12V pump you have before you need to use it.

If your pump does trigger the shut off of the acc plug and you don't have a fuse panel you can still use it by wiring the socket to a fused connector and connecting to the battery.

Luckily for me i was fixing a flat in my garage and was able to correct the acc socket limitations or I would have been in an uncomfortable position trying to get the tire repaired.

Luis is right about the amp draw and the acc plug. Direct to battery is the best solution, I think. The Slime pump comes with "jumper cable" type battery connectors. Worked great the time I had to use it.

Good advice. And be sure to do a full test. My accessory socket will power the pump when it is unloaded. The pump doesn't draw enough to trip the socket until it is actually pumping up a tire. :D

// marc

After trying to inflate a tire with a hand pump in 100 degree unrelenting sun, I bought the cheapest 12v pump I could find, removed everything I didn't need (like the case), wired on a BMW plug, and have carried it since. Works great.

433493852_7hjJy-L.jpg

So far I've never had to pump up a tire when I had a dead battery.

I have the same type of pump and am pleased with it.

I've owned the slime pump for a couple of years. Fortunately I've never had to use it on the road but, as I do with all of my travel tools, I have used it in my garage.

Using my travel tools, I have changed both tires and the slime pump seated the beads with no problem at all. I was running it off of the acc. plug and had no issues with blowing the fuse

I mention "travel tools" as I have a well equipped shop but I still make it a habit of performing all maintenance functions at least once using the tools that I carry along with me. That way I was sure to iron out any problems or make improvements on the tools in the kit.

Having used the CO2 cartridges for years on my dirt bikes I'm aware that it will take several to fill a tire up to spec. I don't know how well they'd do at seating a bead. With the compressor you'll have an unlimited number of attempts.

Just my two cents:thumb

Slime makes a slick little set that includes the 12V compressor shown above and about three different cables you can use to power it up, including an SAE, direct battery for hardwiring, and little jumper cables. It all comes in a neat little bag that zips it all up. I have used it and it is great. Instructions say not to run it longer than 8 minutes at a time. It is perfect for motorbikes. Sell for about $29 bucks. I found mine at O'Reily Auto Parts Store.

I bought a 12v mini compressor at Wal Mart. Around $15 5 think. It took around 2 minutes to inflate a Metzler 140/80/17 to 42psi.

Ralph Sims

This sounded interesting so I went to look it up.. Somehow I do not believe this is what you were referring to. :scratch So can you tell us a link to where it might be??
:blah
chuffer:
British term, now dated, for:

1. A male homosexual .

2. The passive-partner in anal-coitus . See sodomite for synonyms.

The other handy option for non-fuel injected bikes is called a "chuffer". These are great for airheads and other bikes where it's easy to remove a spark plug. It's a pneumatic fitting that screws into the cylinder head, and an airhose just long enough to reach the tire. Turn off your fuel, and crank or kick your engine over and you have one big air pump.

This sounded interesting so I went to look it up.. Somehow I do not believe this is what you were referring to. :scratch So can you tell us a link to where it might be??

Oh geez:rolleyes , it's an old nickname I first discovered in "The Jeep Bible" by Granville King & Willie Worthy. I started carrying one and first used it in my '57 Willys Jeep truck, and found that a "Super Hurricane" inline six flathead made a handy air compressor. Later on I noticed some of my trailbike riding friends carried them as well, and I think it's also been referred to on the Airheads web site.
Overall, it's a very handy and versatile gizmo, but you have to make sure you have easy access to the spark plug and room to use it, and I wouldn't use it on a late model bike with fuel injection.

If you're looking for one online, try this link: http://www.cruztools.com/tirecare.html

Just curious ????

Don't these inflators that employ engine piston power send gasoline, albeit in small amounts, into your tire? Isn't petrol hard on the rubber?

Don't these inflators that employ engine piston power send gasoline, albeit in small amounts, into your tire? Isn't petrol hard on the rubber?

Nope, at least not on the decent ones. They have a small piston. The compression from the engine pushes the piston. The little piston draws in fresh air and pushes it into the tire.

Back