Thread: Tire inflators

Hybrid View

Bubbaslye

Smile Tire inflators

Has anyone ever used an inflator like the one described
    here?

http://www.rei.com/product/696553

It is marketed to bicyclists, but to my less than expert
    eye, it would seem to work as well on motorcycle tires.

What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bob
    Yes.

I first got one as a gift and started carrying it on my trail bike. My son got a flat
    (he always does) and we used it. Once you run out of CO2, the handle extends one length and you can use it as a hand pump. That said, it's not a big pump, so for anything larger than a bicycle I'd carry more cartridges.
    We liked it a lot and eventually started carrying them in each of our street bikes and trail bikes. We used one again on my wife's R65, we were on the narrow shoulder of a mountain road, no place to start trying to repair a tube. Three or four minutes, a small bottle of slime, and three cartridges later and she was on her way home, where we could safely replace the innertube.
    For a large modern rear tire, figure five or six cartridges if you don't want to pump your arm off. I buy Moose brand cartridges for reinflating tires, they're charged a lot more than those cheap ones for air guns and the like.
    So I like it. It's about the fastest way to inflate a tire, which in some situations can be important to your safety.

RE: tire inflation

Where do you typically get the Moose CO2 cartridges? Not to change the thread, but I bought a 12v mini compressor and I "practiced" with it in the shop and it took- the 5 min the mfg says to not go past- to get to 25# on my 1150 rear from zero. Rethinking the gas option. I've read many of the "which compressor is best threads", but like the idea of small.

Bob
    [QUOTE=kantuckid;395789]Where do you typically get the Moose CO2 cartridges? QUOTE]

Check at your local dealers who sell dirt bikes, or at a bicycle shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    For a large modern rear tire, figure five or six cartridges if you don't want to pump your arm off.
    I've never been a fan of C02 cartridge systems for just that reason - the room required for enough cartridges would let you carry something like the Slime air compressor (http://www.slime.com/product_111_Pow..._(40001).html). With a compressor, you can have a second chance at filling a patched tire if the first attempt at the patch didn't work, and you can air your tires when on a trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    That looks like a pretty slick little unit. Have you used it on the road yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    I've never been a fan of C02 cartridge systems for just that reason - the room required for enough cartridges would let you carry something like the Slime air compressor (http://www.slime.com/product_111_Pow..._(40001).html). With a compressor, you can have a second chance at filling a patched tire if the first attempt at the patch didn't work, and you can air your tires when on a trip.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Rally Rat
    I also chose a mini compressor. It will fill tires as well as a small air matress (if you want to wait). I added a Powerlet adapter to plug right into the bike 12 v outlet. Works great, not as fast as a gas station pump, but better than pushing the bike..............

Wally World sells for about $15.00 a mini pump which isn't mini until you take it out of its plastic housing. Then you have a pump and gauge that looks like the ones you see advertised for motorcycles for about $45.00.
    I carry mine in an old tube sock in the space behind the seat on my '04 RT.
    It will fill the tire in about 3 or 4 mins.
    However, at the altitude in Paonia, it takes about 6+ mins.
    The piston is drawing in about 43 molecules of air at each stroke.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel"
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Quote Originally Posted by apretzl View Post
    I have used the Slime compressor, worked great. I got it on sale at Autozone earlier this year. Fits upright in the tail of an RT. The brass screw-on fitting gets REALLY HOT. As in burn the skin off hot. Just like the little label I didn't read says.

I bet if you disassemble the Slime compressor you'll find the same innards as the WalMart pumps. I've seen instructions online (can't find them right now) on how to dispose of the bulky plastic housing from the Walmart cheapo compressor.

EDIT: here, I found the directions: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...cles/air-pump/
    Last edited by markgoodrich; 12-07-2008 at 11:59 PM.

I'm a flexible guy; my mind can be changed. After viewing the instructions on stripping down a pump into a small assy that will fit in the rear compartment of the RT, I must say I think I'll give it a try. Being able to pump up your tires on a trip w/o hitting a station is attractive. I'll have to give this some thought!

--EDIT-- Wow, $10!! I just ordered the slime compressor. Shipping was $9! But heck, at that total cost, I'm not going to go hunting.

Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by RoboRider; 12-08-2008 at 04:24 AM.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by apretzl View Post
    Yes, and it works really well. I've only had one flat myself, and have helped another guy with his flat, but being able to correct my tire pressure right at the camp or outside the motel door with truly cold tires is pretty sweet.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post

Slime compressors are on sale now, for $9.99, at the parts chain MURRAY'S DISCOUNT AUTO. They are very prominent here in the Chicago area. Bought 2 of them as I already have the same model bought last year. They work quite nicely and beat the you know what, out of cartridges. Buy one for you and one for your hard headed friend. I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaslye View Post
    What do you think?
    I carry a Crank Brothers Power Pump. At a compact 5.6" long, along with its simplicity and top notch quality, its hard to beat and will be there for you when you're in the middle of nowhere.

No batteries required, no 12V power required and no issues with CO2 cartridges running out.

pumps

CTS + hand pumps of any brand= trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I carry a Crank Brothers Power Pump. At a compact 5.6" long, along with its simplicity and top notch quality, its hard to beat and will be there for you when you're in the middle of nowhere.

No batteries required, no 12V power required and no issues with CO2 cartridges running out.

I have used these on my Mtn bicycles...they do work and definitely will improve heart function...especially at altitude...find one that pumps on both strokes! I carry one ,but still have the cyclepro? pump that was given to me by the GS owner who traded me for the HD...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait