• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Am I Seeing Stuff That's Not There?

KPINVT

I saw what I think is a great picture of the new BMW F800R at this link to the Motorcycle Daily web site: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/05november08_bmw2009f800r.htm

On my monitor at work, where I'm posting this from, I see faint diagonal lines running from the upper right to the lower left along the upper portion of the picture and I am just wondering if this is an effect that was added to this shot to boost the sense of perspective & impact. I also see this on the monitor at home.

Attachments

• 110508middle.jpg
    110508middle.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 126
Well since the camera was panning with the rider (note the background is blurred) I suspect ifs an effect of the panning motion, could have been some thin clouds running diagonally or just slight color differences in the sky, but I would if is an effect of the panning, not sure why it wasn't blended out. Anyway whatever the cause I see them too.

RM

I don't see them, and I thought my monitor had pretty good resolution. But then my eyes are probably older than yours. ;) Nice looking bike, sure looks like it can go fast. :wow

It has to do with the resolution ... either the resolution of the original photo, scan, or monitor. It's a gradation effect of the transition of blues in the sky (or anywhere else where there's a slight variation with a solid color and insufficient pixels to blend it to be out of sight). It might be as a result of further compression. It has nothing to do with the panning or motion of the photo, I've seen the same effect on static photos too.

It has to do with the resolution ... either the resolution of the original photo, scan, or monitor. It's a gradation effect of the transition of blues in the sky (or anywhere else where there's a slight variation with a solid color and insufficient pixels to blend it to be out of sight). It might be as a result of further compression. It has nothing to do with the panning or motion of the photo, I've seen the same effect on static photos too.

Agreed. Cheap software is likely the culprit. Not yours, but the computer on which that file was altered and compressed.

Back