Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Earphones - help with purchase

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    The design of the Shure is such that they could never be pushed in too far as part of the speaker earbud design is at a right angle to the part inserted.
    What it comes down to is the design of your ears.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

In ear speakers

You might get some really good information from www.webbikeworld.com

Scroll down and find in ear speakers or speaker reviews, they have a good bit of information.

Don't laugh, but the best earphones I have found, especially for the money, I purchased at Walmart. They are made by Koss, model # KEB20DVD and run about $25.00. They have very good base and claim to cover 10 specturms or something like that. They have a volume control and have a 3.5 RCA jack and come with a little carrying case. While not really noise canceling, they call them noise isolating and they work fantastic. I just pop them on before putting they helmet on and plug them in the Zumo. Now I just gotta find a suitable microphone I can plug into the Zumo so I can talk back to someone who calls me on the phone.

Take a look at these. http://www.earfuze.com/product.html
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

North Coast, Ohio

Earphone Vendor

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/

I have used them and very happy with their advise and products.
    Great information on all products.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/wenewum2bldu.html
    I use the Westone UM2, they sit flush to your ear and the cord wraps around your ear.

I agree I listen when I need. But these earphones block sound quite well.

Registered User westhautianplen's Avatar

Noise Reducing Ear Buds

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

Thanks
    I have a pair of Big Ears. I plug them into my Zumo 550 so I can hear verbal directions from my co pilot in the GPS. I can also listen to music XM or MP3.

This company hits most of the bike shows and ralleys. They actually are molded to fit your ear canal. Great fit, very comfortable and they reduce the ambient wind and associated riding noises, however you can still hear and you do not have to mount or glue them into your helmet. Just put them in and slid you helmet on. You might want to check out thier web site. They have different models, they sold me the clear ones ( B1-C model I think )

http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Plen; 02-27-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Plen Smith
    07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Plen View Post
    I have a pair of Big Ears. I plug them into my Zumo 550 so I can hear verbal directions from my co pilot in the GPS. I can also listen to music XM or MP3.

This company hits most of the bike shows and ralleys. They actually are molded to fit your ear canal. Great fit, very comfortable and they reduce the ambient wind and associated riding noises, however you can still hear. and you do not have to mount or glue them into your helmet. Just put them in and slid you helmet on. You might want to check out thier web site. They have different models, they sold me the clear ones ( B1-C model I think )

http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx

Hope this helps.
    I have a set of the Etomics, like them a lot, but on my ride to California last year, after three 12 hour days, my ears were sore. Just that little bit of pressure pushing on my ear canals built up over that time to pain.

I had heard of the Big Ear speakers from someone at the local bike shop, so I looked them up at the ractrack.
    They had sets you could listen to, and i am glad. Their 225 dollar plugs were far inferior sound wise to the Etomics. The next set were 400 dollars. iwas in a quandry, I wanted the in ear monitors for noise reduction and sound, but was not willing to pay that much.

Luckily Big ear was not the only company selling molded in ear monitors.
    I ended up with a pair from Now Hear this. The were less money than the big ear set, and I could not tell the difference in sound from the Etomics, which was a big plus for me.

Now hear this doesn't have a web site, they can be reached at 305-477-2333.

Just my experience and $.02

Registered User westhautianplen's Avatar

Ear Protection

Quote Originally Posted by karlfitt View Post
    I have a set of the Etomics, like them a lot, but on my ride to California last year, after three 12 hour days, my ears were sore. Just that little bit of pressure pushing on my ear canals built up over that time to pain.

I had heard of the Big Ear speakers from someone at the local bike shop, so I looked them up at the ractrack.
    They had sets you could listen to, and i am glad. Their 225 dollar plugs were far inferior sound wise to the Etomics. The next set were 400 dollars. iwas in a quandry, I wanted the in ear monitors for noise reduction and sound, but was not willing to pay that much.

Luckily Big ear was not the only company selling molded in ear monitors.
    I ended up with a pair from Now Hear this. The were less money than the big ear set, and I could not tell the difference in sound from the Etomics, which was a big plus for me.

Now hear this doesn't have a web site, they can be reached at 305-477-2333.

Just my experience and $.02
    They were pricey.

Thanks for the info.
    Plen Smith
    07 R1200RT

I used these (see link below) from Aerostich for the 1st time today to listen to the female voice in the Garmin Quest 2 tell me how far to travel before the next turn. Even with 33dB foam earpplugs her voice was easily heard at 50mph in a Nolan helmet. Not high fidelity, but does what I need at very low cost. I don't listen to music while riding.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-18213.html

regards,
    Mark