• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

So You Served!!

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Thought it would be entertaining to find-out how many forum denizens have prior service experience and how much. I'm guessing there are a bunch of folks with military service. How about telling us your branch of service and the number of years you served. Active, reserve or National Guard; Army Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard... report it all. How about you peace officers and fire fighters reporting your service as well. Colorful anecdotes are optional and encouraged. If you are normally a lurker and don't join in the discussions, then please make an exception and tell us about your service.
:thumb

I'll start it off:
Army
27 years
Infantry, Ranger, Airborne
LTC Retired
Assignments: 8th In Div, 7th In Div, 1st AR Div, 1st In Div, National Training Ctr.

Last edited:
United States Air Force - April 7, 1966 through December 20, 1972

Air Traffic Control and Warning (Radar) Operator
Airborne Weapons Control Technician
Electronic Warfare Countermeasures Technician

NORAD and Alaskan Air Command

Last edited:
US Army

June 30, 1970 to Jan 15, 1972
One tour of duty in Vietnam at Can Tho Army Airfield.
Trained as an Aircraft mechanic for the CH-47 Chinook helicopter.
Became the Aircraft Electrician for the Company thru OJT while in the army.
Disliked it then, wouldn't trade the experience for the world now.
Grew up in Ohio, did basic training at Ft Campbell, KY.
Now live in Nashville, TN, 20 miles away.
Have been here 30+ years.
Must of liked the heat doing Basic Training in July-August....

Marine Corps....'69-'78 Worked on avionics systems on A-4 and Harrier jets for 6 years. Trained in ECM and Com/Nav. Then, they made me a recruiter.

Tom

USAF, 1979-1983, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Wichita Falls and San Antonio Texas and Albuquerque New Mexico.

Sometimes I wish I had made a career of it.

Service

US Air Force, 1979-1983 stationed at Aviano AB Italy & Luke AFB in AZ.
Worked on air-air & air-ground missiles.

USAF OSI Agent: 1977-1999. Deployed as a tactical counterintelligence agent to the Kurdish Mtns during/after the 1st Gulf War.

20 years US Navy active and reserve time. Radioman

Highlight First Persian Excursion under George I- Saudi Arabia, UAE, Baharain as a SEABEE with a Marine Expeditionary Force.

In order USNR, USNR-R(TAR), USN, 1959>1987. Still work on Flight and Weapons System Simulators at NS Mayport, FL.
Ret CPO Ride Safe :usa

So you served

Two years Navy ROTC full scholaraship at Brown University 1967-69. Active duty in summer based in Newport News. Wanted to be a pilot, couldn't pass the eye exam, and in the first draft lottery in 1969 got a high number assigned by birthdate and decided to opt out of the program. A decision regretted many times over; but it does no good to worry now. Maybe for the best anyway, as I found it difficult to follow orders I disagreed with, and the military depends on near blind obedience.

"every man is the architecht of his own character."

U.S. Navy
1978 - 1998
Aviation Electronics
P-3 Orion ASW and maritime patrol
F-14 Fighters
F14 and A6 Comm/Nav systems
Instructor Duty Electronic Identification Systems IFF
VC-6 Seaborne Powered Targets

Served in the USAF almost same time period as Paul: Aug 68-Aug 72. Came between my first and second year of law school. Served at SAC HQ in Omaha, NE as a systems analyst in the underground command post. Very neat duty! Great skills learned. No one ever shot at me, unless you include the MSgt who always shot off his mouth. :blah

Man you guys are OLD! Currently serving in the US Navy, stationed in Panama City, FL at Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center. Entered service in 1988.

Just kidding about the old statement. I appreciate the service that all of you have done.

US Air Force
Nov '87 - Dec '07

Structural Craftsman, mostly in RED HORSE, building the bases in the places nobody wanted bases built. (Lots of time spent in deserts and jungles).

Usmc

USMC
1989-1993
CH-53 A, D and E models, sheetmetal mechanic, aircrew.
Stationed in Tustin CA with HMH-361 1989-1991.
Stationed with HMX-1, Marine Presidential Helicopter Squadron, Quantico VA 1991-1993 changed MOS to full time CH53E Naval Aircrewman, Crewchief. Probably the best enlisted Marine Corps job a person could want. I still miss it, best time of my life.

Army National Guard 1970-1976. Before the 6 years were up, I wish I had been drafted. Made buck sargent, discharged spec 4. Guess I wasn't NCO material.

Ralph Sims

No service for me . Was sole surviving son.
Thanks to all who have served and continue to serve!
I did have many friends , past and current ,who died or at minimum were affected for life.
Mike

U.S. Navy 1971-1975 then 1980-1984 I didn't get enough the first time. LOL
USS Howard W. Gilmore (AS-16)
USS Holland (AS-32)
Shore duty, NAS North Island,
USS Peterson (DD-969)

:usa

Back