• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So You Served!!

United States Air force
Dec 1984 - Aug 2008
KC135 A/R/Q/T Boom Operator

USAF Academy, c/o '97

Been serving since...

a B-1 Instructor Pilot and Weapons Officer, flying for the past 12 years, with combat sorties in Iraq and Afghanistan, including night one of OIF.

At Army Command and General Staff College now, but moving to Ramstein AB, Germany next! Looking forward to travelling with the bike in europe.

Chris

Usaf

Was in USAF 1963 to 1968,
1st Air Commando wing. Forward Air Controller. (Viet Nam) Liason to 4th Spl Forces 1966 And 1967. Proud Civilian July 1968
Would not trade experience for a million dollars but would not do it again for a million.

Last edited:
USAF 1981-1985. Air Traffic Controller at the Air Force Academy back when there was a lot of flying going on there.

If I remember right, we had about 270,000 take offs and landings annually. It wasnt' unusual to have 200 take-offs and landings in an hour on a nice day! Of course I was only 19 when I got certified there, so I thought every airport was like that!:dance

JeffMunn/AKBeemer,

Another 8ID vet. 1980-83 Plt Ldr in 3-8 Cav then as an aide in Wiesbaden,
Also in 2AD same time as JeffMunn 3/66 AR. From there I went to ROTC land for three years branch transferred to Transportation then back to Germany. My best assignment was after that in Vicenza, Italy. Excellent riding. Retired early in 96 thamks to the drawdown. Work now as a contractor at Ft Irwin, which aside from deciding what to wear in the morning, is just like the Army.

Hooah

I am also a Pathfinder alumni (1978 - 1982). And I have some familiarity with the Cav Squadron. I met LTC Norman Beatty on a ski trip and stayed in touch with him for a number of years afterward. Last I spoke with him he was retired banker (family business) in Blairstown, NJ. I'll detail my other active duty time in a subsequent post.

Last edited:
So I served....

My father was an Army recruiter back in 1978. The night before my enlistment I saw "Alice's Restaurant" at the midnight movie in Denver, CO. Spent 4 years in the Signal Corps in Germany (8th ID, 8th Signal Battalion in Bad Kreuznach, GE). I transferred to the Intelligence Corps and went to 1st ID, 3d ID, Drill Sergeant duty, US Army Europe, V Corps, Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) and 1st ID (The Big Red One).

After retiring in July 2001 I took some time off before becoming a defense contractor for several years and now I am Director, Computer Network Defense for my company (large defense contractor).

Someday I hope to have a job as fulfilling as when I was a Sergeant. Might have to wait until I retire.....

He also served

Sean Ozzie Simpkins. US Army interrogator (97E30). Ozzie Simpkins was an interrogator instructor when I was assigned to the Intelligence School to train counter-intelligence agents and interrogators. We had motorcycling in common and spent many hours riding in Arizona. Ozzie was somewhat eccentric (not unusual in interrogators) and I have many memories of riding in the desert with him. We rode to Paonia, Death Valley (snow in February 1991) and all over Arizona>

Ozzie took a medical discharge and buy-out from the Army in 1992 and went back to school to study Russian including a coop in Moscow. He eventually brought a bride back from Russia and went ot work for the Post Office in West Virginia. He attended my wedding in 1993 and lived with his wife in Huntingdon, WV. I recently re-connected with Ozzie and he was excited about some recent acquisitions including an R90S and a Dnepr sidecar rig.

Sean Ozzie Simpkins died of a heart attack on or about 24 November 2009. He was a motorcyclist, a scholar, and a good friend.

Airborne!!

82nd Airborne, 11B, 1/17th Air Cav 82-86. Paramedic for three years, and LEO for 20yrs and counting.

USAF - Combat Security Police (The Air Forces' grunts)

'73-'74 Clark AB, Philippines
'74-'75 Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam

Retired LEO, currently a Volunteer Fire Fighter and fixin to start EMT School.
(Glutton for punishment and feeding my risk addiction.)

Yes and no. I enlisted in the USAF in '83. I went to BMTS at Lackland, and my knee started swelling up like a balloon during PT. The base orthopedic surgeon gave me two options: surgery, rehab, and recycling, or separation from the service. Since I would have been sent home for 6 to 8 months during recovery, with no pay, and I had a young family to support, I chose the latter.

seven years under the flag

this was my home for almost six years. then the rivers south of saigon.
made me what i am today. hahaha!

SS-391.image.1003460.jpg

USAF Weapons Instructor

Currently stationed in Germany. Have been kicking around since 1990, been stationed in Idaho, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Germany twice.

I absolutely love the riding here. Just finished up a trip through Austria and Switzerland.

Thank all of you for your service

Scott

Usnr 64-71

Joined up at 17 with parents signature. 2 Years in the Phillipine Islands (CT)
I also hated it then but very grateful for the experience now.

Army '68-'70 (drafted)
101st Div. 2/319th artillery
Vietnam--I corp--Ashaw Valley (Ho Chi Ming Trail) most of time.
Hamburger hill was nearby.
Camp Evans was home base.

Now I buy stuff in the stores made in Vietnam.
Tell me again why we were there.

I am totally amazed there are't more Vietnam veterans in this organization.[/QUOTE]

Of the 2,700,000 of us that were sent to Vietnam, only 700,000 of us are left.
Agent Orage is taking us faster than the average.

My Grandfather (a weatherman on a DD) and great Uncle (Combat Engineer) were in the Navy & Army in WW2. My dad (Communications) was in the Army during Korea (but served in Germany, while his brother (infantry) went to Korea) and I (SP) was in the USAF in the late 70's. My son (4th generation to serve) joined the Army (Infantry) and was sworn in yesterday, going to Ft. Benning, GA.

:usa

An update, Happy to say my son has completed his year long tour in Iraq (3rd ID, 4th Brigade 3/15 Infantry Regt.) and is safely home. Just finished a short home leave and heading back to Ft. Stewart tomorrow.

Back