• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

So You Served!!

Gulf War veteran with the USAF. Also spent a year in Iraq a few years ago as a civilian contractor doing Information Assurance.

United States Coast Guard

1980-1983 Marathon, Florida Keys as a 41 footer boat coxswain.

1983-1984 Loran Station Sylt, Germany.....think Sea Island, but richer!

And I got paid for doing this:ha

Here's a pic of me in Marathon bringing in an abandoned smuggling boat. 21 years old....captain of my own boat:thumb

CG.jpg

1982 - 1986 USAF active duty as a german citizen in Material Facilities (supply) stationed in Minot, ND; Osan, Korea; and Biloxi, MS
1986 - 1988 US Air Guard as a US citizen in Prime Beef (Rapid Runway Repair) which is comparable to US Navy Red Horse

Became a US Naturalized Citizen in 1985 in New Orleans, LA in my Dress Blues...

And how my life could have been different: In 1988 just as I got out of the Air Guard I was attached into in-active status for 4 years to an outfit in Alaska. The first day of graduate school I receive a letter that I could be activated if Congress or the President declared war; he did... that was Desert Shield... having 2 combat specialities I was sure to get called up... I was not... however, my Air Guard unit was already there for 3 weeks.....My life would have been very different....

Ok, I'll play. USAF 1975 to 1986, Security Police (Law Enforcement Spec.) I was stationed at 27th SPS Cannon AFB, Clovis, NM, Tuslog Det 171, Pirinclik CDI, Diyarbakir Turkey and 3700 SPS Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX.

U.S.N. 1965 to 1968. USS Lyman K. Swenson DD 729. Dropped out of school and dad (BMC USN Ret) took me to work. Eight weeks of boot camp and two weeks leave later, I was High-lined aboard my new home. The next day found me at my battle station off the coast of Viet Nam passing ammunition. :banghead shoulda' payed more attention in school.

ARMY 1960--1967, best years of my life !
E-1 -- E-6

First wife demanded i get out , should have listened to my CO.
She is long gone and i should have re-upped at the time she and I split.
I did not and it's about the only thing in my life I regret.

Mohawker

ARMY 1990-1998, all over the place.
OV-1 Mohawk..."SCAM" I'd love to translate but let's keep it clean!!!:brad
Thank you to those who served both as civilians and military!

US Navy '82 - '89: helicopter pilot, flew the UH-3A station SAR on Diego Garcia (ugh) and then the CH-46D performing VERTREP out of San Diego with HC-11.

Now I work as a civilian analyst for Naval Air Systems Command, but there was 18 years between the time I left active duty until I came back aboard as a civilian. A lot changed in between.

I have to laugh, my old job has been turned over to civilian aviators and the ships are now civilian manned (or is that "staffed"). I tried to get a job doing what I qualified to do in the Navy but according to the insurance of the contractor hired by the Navy to provide VERTREP services I did not have enough experience.

US Army...active duty...1990-1994...Biomedical Electronics Tech...lots of TDY...favorite assignment was Ft. Ord, CA...least favorite Ft. Hood, TX...these days I work for Navy SSP.

Usn

U.S. Navy, nine years active and reserve. Joined the Navy to see the world and saw a lot of Maryland: Ft. G.G. Meade, MD. Left reserves when training for my specialty was no longer available. Not sure that was the smartest thing I never did....

US Army Signal Corp, Feb 68 thru Mar 76, Ft. Bennington,Ga; Ft. Monmouth, NJ, Vietnam, Ft. Monmouth, NJ, Piermansens FRG.
Owned my first BMW, both two and 4 wheel there. Both great machines.

Enlisted in 1976, got out in 2002 after 20 plus years. Most of it as a medic. Loved it. Got out because I could not keep up with the 19 year old kids any more. I miss the troops but do not miss the politics. Would consider going back if I was younger.

Worked for a prison supply company and stayed with them for 9 years 7 months.
Hated almost every minute of it. Glad I am not with them any longer. Means more
time with my family and my Flying Brick.

Civil Air Patrol in high school.

Aircraft Mechanic on KC-135As in New Hampshire 1985-1990.
European, Alaskan, and Pacific Tanker Task Forces. SAC Nuclear Alert Force.
Operation El Dorado Canyon (Raid on Libya, 1986), ELF One (Saudi Arabian) deployment

C5 Flight Engineer in Delaware 1990-2011.
Desert Shield, Desert Storm, numerous humanitarian relief missions.

Attachments

• USAF.jpg
    USAF.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 86
Thought it would be entertaining to find-out how many forum denizens have prior service experience and how much. I'm guessing there are a bunch of folks with military service. How about telling us your branch of service and the number of years you served. Active, reserve or National Guard; Army Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard... report it all. How about you peace officers and fire fighters reporting your service as well. Colorful anecdotes are optional and encouraged. If you are normally a lurker and don't join in the discussions, then please make an exception and tell us about your service.
:thumb

I'll start it off: Army, 27 years.

Bump. Many new members and many of them likely have served. :thumb

Let us hear about it.

Usn

Navy, 30 years...1979-2009...submariner. 11 years enlisted (Chief Torpedoman), got commissioned & did 19 more.

Diesel boats & fast attacks, underway on 30+ different boats. Mostly USN but the RAN and RN as well.

Still miss it.

Navy, 30 years...1979-2009...submariner. 11 years enlisted (Chief Torpedoman), got commissioned & did 19 more.

Diesel boats & fast attacks, underway on 30+ different boats. Mostly USN but the RAN and RN as well.

Still miss it.

I was stationed at FT Monroe across the James River from Norfolk Naval Base. When a sub came in or out of the James I was always amazed at the size of the bow wake it would have. Far larger than even a carrier. Small boats would scatter when ever one of the attack subs was moving.

Usaf

USAF. 68-69. Crew Chief. AC119Gunship NAM Plus a few years in AF Reserve. Don Miller A1C. 10 & 15 RT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 138
Back