• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So You Served!!

Army Redleg!

U.S. Army, 31 years total, Active and Reserve
Drafted August 1969, E-1 to E-5
Commissioned Field Artillery, Ft. Sill, OK
Various CONUS assignments
Korea, El Salvador, Honduras
3/15th FA Battalion Commander
Deputy Chief of Staff, 81st RSC
3rd Brigade, 100th Division Commander
JTF 926, Honduras, Task Force Commander
87th Division, Chief of Staff

Proud to serve and proud of my brothers and sisters in arms that are BMW MOA members! Thank you for defending our freedoms!

USAF Active Duty...what a great read and kudos to all the "old" guys.

ICBM's
Satellite Ops (flying GPS...and yes we fly 'em...3-axis stabilized)
Ops Planner (Europe)
Pentagon Desk Jockey

Respectfully,
BB

USAF Active Duty...what a great read and kudos to all the "old" guys.

ICBM's
Satellite Ops (flying GPS...and yes we fly 'em...3-axis stabilized)
Ops Planner (Europe)
Pentagon Desk Jockey

Respectfully,
BB

OLD!!!? OLD!!!?? Watch it there desk jockey! We're just get'n warmed up. ;)

Service

Army - 1968 - 1970

Military Police
Denver PD - 2yrs
DOD Police - 2yrs
Border Patrol - 5yrs
DOJ - 15yrs
DHS - 3yrs
:usa

Nice looking ship. I served on the USS Columbus CG-12 from April 73 to decommission in Sep 75.

Wasn't the Columbus 6th Fleet? I wrangled #6 line on the pier to tie her up in Barcelona September/Oct '73. Med style, stern in.

CG-12 I am pretty sure. Big pretty 'Boat' for a DE'r like me.

Dive, Dive

Here's one for a small audience.

How to Live the Submarine Life at Home:

Obtain a dumpster. Paint it black, weld all the covers shut except one which can be bolted closed from the inside. Hitch it to the back of your wife's mini van. Gather 12 friends and bolt yourselves inside and let your wife pull it around for several weeks while she does the errands.

Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain. Six hours after you go to sleep, have your wife whip open the curtain. shine a flashlight in your eyes, and mumble "Sorry, wrong rack".

Don't eat any food that you don't get out of a can or have to add water to.

Paint all the windows on your car black. Drive around town at high speeds with your wife standing up in the sunroof shouting course and speed directions to you.

Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of your bathtub and move the shower head down to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you shut off the water while soaping.

Repeat back everything anyone says to you.

Sit in your car for six hours a day with your hands on the wheel and the motor running, but don't go anywhere.

Put lube oil in your humidifier instead of water and set it to "High".

Don't watch T.V. except movies in the middle of the night. Also, have your family vote on which movie to watch, then show a different one. Record The Sound of Music and show it at least every other night.

Don't do your wash at home. Gather your neighbors clothes along with yours, pick the most crowded laundromat you can find, and do the neighborhood laundry in a single washer and dryer. Make sure that 12% of the laundry is lost and 20% of the finished laundry is incorrectly distributed to the wrong neighbor.

Leave lawnmower running in your living room six hours a day for proper noise level. (For Engineering Divisions)

Have the paperboy give you a haircut.

Take hourly readings on your electric and water meters.

Sleep with your dirty laundry.

Invite guests, but don't have enough food for them.

Buy a broken exercise bicycle and strap it down to the floor in your kitchen.

Buy a trash compactor and use it once a week. Store up garbage in the other side of your bathtub.

Wake up every night at midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread, if anything. (Optional--canned ravioli, cold soup, or cherry peppers)

Make up your family menu a week ahead of time without looking in your food cabinets or refrigerator.

Set your alarm clock to go off at random times during the night. When it goes off, jump out of bed and get dressed as fast as you can, then run out into your yard and break out the garden hose.

Once a month take every major appliance completely apart and then put them back together.

Use 18 scoops of coffee per pot and allow it to sit for 5 or 6 hours before drinking.

Invite at least 85 people you don't really like to come and visit for a couple of months.

Store your eggs in your garage for two months and then cook a dozen each morning.

Have a fluorescent lamp installed on the bottom of your coffee table and lie under it to read books.

Periodically check your refrigerator compressor for "sound shorts".

Put a complicated lock on your basement door and wear the key on a lanyard around your neck.

Lockwire the lugnuts on your car.

When making cakes, prop up one side of the pan while it is baking. Then spread icing really thick on one side to level off the top.

Every so often, yell "Emergency Deep", run into the kitchen, and sweep all pots/pans/dishes off of the counter onto the floor. Then, yell at your wife for not having the place "stowed for sea".

Put on the headphones from your stereo (don't plug them in). Go and stand in front of your stove. Say (to nobody in particular) "Stove manned and ready". Stand there for 3 or 4 hours. Say (once again to nobody in particular) "Stove secured". Roll up the headphone cord and put them away.

Write a controlled work package to change the oil on your car.

U. S. Army MP 1988-1992
Dog handler in Germany
Ft Lewis Wa
brief time in Honduras

Police, Portland Oregon 1992-Present
Officer 1992-2007
Detective 2007-Present
11 years min to retirement, have loved every minute

Wasn't the Columbus 6th Fleet? I wrangled #6 line on the pier to tie her up in Barcelona September/Oct '73. Med style, stern in.

CG-12 I am pretty sure. Big pretty 'Boat' for a DE'r like me.

Small world. I was on line detail that day, though I do not remember which line I was on that day. Barcelona was a pretty cool liberty port. I had just turned 18 and had a few beers to celebrate. I remember when we pulled out. We crossed anchors with the tin can Med Moored along our port side. I don't recall the ships name, but what a mess. Later

Usaf

"Air Force, I great way of life" 1964-1984. Aircraft Maintenance Officer; T-33, F-104, F101, C-7A (Viet Mam), C-118A Belgium) HH-3, HH-53, HH-1, HH-130h/P/N, WC-135, C-5A. I still work for DoD as a civilian. When I graduated from college, I swore I'd never work for the government. It's funny how life works out.:dunno

Finely retired from Contract Management Agency May 2014, 30 years as a civilian overseeing Boeing manufacturing and logistics support of AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, C-17 aircraft and Harpoon, SLAM-ER, CALCM and Tomahawk missiles and JDAM, Small Diameter Bombs. Total service 50 years.

Jay Green
R1200GS

Last edited:
'Nam Era '69-71 U.S. Army.
Never went to 'Nam, lucky.
Trained in Senior Special Electronic Device Repair, should have gone over, but through an odd sequence of events stayed stateside in Ft. Leonard Wood, MO, and never worked One Day in my MOS.

In MO, I joined a trail riding club, had the time of my life, one of the best experiences in it, despite the "Green D*&K" of the Army. Great friends, great country to ride in (no fences then), great parties, we were all in the same boat, no $$ but a desire to ride and party like crazy men... I do not regret a day, and .... the Army wasn't THAT bad....

Jim, the local Honda Shop owner, used to bootleg in cigars from Cuba (or at least that's what we thought), and got his bikes in Louisiana, he'd bring up a fresh batch of cigars and chickory coffee. You had to be an 'insider' to get either, and woe be it to you if you didn't drink the bitter black coffee you were given!!!! He was an owly bear of a guy, but a super human being, and man!!! could he ride... Maicos, Bultacos, Hodakas, Montessas, as well as the Yammies and Hondas, Kaws and Suzuki's were the beasts of the day. Combat Wombat, Super Rat... SL350.. 100cc Centurian...

I visited the shop a couple of years ago... Long abandoned... Just stood there as the memories poured over me.... A little memory is a wonderful thing....

Last year I went to the AMA museum. There was a display on motocross bikes. OLD ones. I'd owned or ridden quite a few.. Made me smile and laugh at my luck and curmudgeon-ness....

Thanks for the memories....!

Jan...

Attachments

• Jims Honda Shop St Robert MO.jpg
    Jims Honda Shop St Robert MO.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Started life as an Army Brat - my dad served in the Field Artillery for 21 years. ROTC at Okla State (where I married another cadet). My (older) brother, wife, her oldest brother and his wife all went into the army out of college (all at OSU). I served 6 years active and 3 active reserve as a Combat Engineer officer:

Platoon Leader in 814th Float Bridge Company, 559 Engr Battalion, Hanau, 1979-1981
Bn S-4, 559th, Hanau, 1981-1982
XO, 66th ADM, 62th Engr Bn, Ft Hood, 1983-1984
CO, D Company, 62 Engr Bn, Ft Hood, 1985-1986
CO, D Company, 66th Engr Bn - Reserve, Dallas, 1986-1989

My wife served 4 years active as a maintenance officer.

US Army, '69-'71. Never went overseas. Trained in Special Electronics Repair, in the Army's way of doing things, never worked a minute in it. Was sent to Ft. Leonard Wood, figured just until shipping to Viet Nam. Inprocessing Sargent asked if I could type, had me type a few sentences, and said, "Your job here is to repair pop-up targets on the rifle range in mud up to your a$$. That guy over there is my typist, he's ETS-ing in 2 weeks, so you can fix targets or be him. "Where's my desk?", I said, figuring it was only temporary. Never went anywhere else... Joined a great off-road riding club, it was wide-open territory in Missouri then, not a fence in sight...
Jan, almost the same thing happened to me. I went to Fort Bragg and while I was still in the in-processing center the First Sergeant asked for people who could type. I raised my hand and was sent to HQ & HQ Company XVIII Abn Corps. I stayed there two years and then processed out.

A few years later and I was back in the Army as a Chaplain . . . as I mentioned before.

Volusia County, Deland, Fla- Deputy Sheriff

USAF-SAC
Ellsworth AFB,Rapid City SD
44SMW/67 SMS
F-01 Minuteman II Combat Crew

===========

Father: Retired BG (PaANG)
Pilot:B-17-50 missions 8th AF
C-47 'HUMP' CBI (POW)
B-29 Korea
C-97 Vietnam

Back