• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

So You Served!!

old k-9

:usa i served in the "gentleman's" branch of the military, USAF from 1978 to 1983. was a law enforcement drug/patrol dog handler. man it was great! started at Langley VA, barely got broken in and was sent to Spangdahlem Germany for two years. that is where i learned to love beemers. only got to ride a stinkin MOPED on the german highways though. lusted after many euro bikes while i walked or bicycled nearly everywhere... last base was eglin fla, wonderful duty, beach patrol w/the dog! had it not been for the possibility of going to korea, i'd still be in probably. now i still serve as a police officer in williamsburg va. been a great ride, literally. my one great wish before the dirt-nap is to ride in europe...:usa

US Army, 1976-2003. Counter-intelligence agent, Area Intelligence Officer for Middle East & Latin America. Shhh don't tell.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

U.S. Navy - 1961 > 1970 ASW aircrew SH-3A helos - USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown
Virginia Army National Guard - 1 year - electronics maint. UH-1 "Hueys"
U.S. Coast Guard Reserve - electronics tech. CGAS Elizabeth City NC, TraCen Yorktown VA

Finally retired from the military in 2003 after 42 years.

Oh, and before all that I was in the Civil Air Patrol. That makes four out of the five services . . . . I did go drinking with some Marine buddies. That sort of counts. :laugh :laugh

JB :usa

Usaf

Served from 1955 to 1975. One tour in Viet Nam '67-'68. Retired.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'K1200LTC

Canadian Forces 1977-95 wearing a nice sky blue Air Force uniform. Communication Research (USN equivalent CTR, CTO, CTI, CTT) . Spent last 2 years of service doing radiation safety and NBC stuff.

Usn

USN - Sept. 65 - Jan. 70 Served aboard USS Saratoga in Fighter Squadron 31 (F4 Phantoms) as a mechanic. I was an AME which included working on ejection seats, canopies, air conditioning, pressurization, liquid oxygen systems, and bleed air systems. I believe this picture was taken somewhere in Malta.

Attachments

• Maybe Malta (Medium).jpg
    Maybe Malta (Medium).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 471
R.o.t.c.

Does ROTC count??
I served bravely at Michigan Sate College from 1953 to 1955. Narrowly escaped serious injury by a speeding bicycle who was illegally riding on sidewalk!:brad
I was an M.P. and directed traffic during weekly parades down Grand River St. in East Lansing on Thursdays. I was never shot at but I didn't go to West Virginia Tech.

Attachments

• msu-shrine61.jpg
    msu-shrine61.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 466
U.S. Army - June 11, 1970 to February 24, 1972, MP, 4th USASA Field Station.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office - February 1973 to April 1993, numerous assignments, retired a Lieutenant. Very political. On very rare occasions you get to make a difference in someone's life.

Most of the time neither was enjoyable. But it was worth it. I learned a lot about people.

When I was 33 years old my oldest son told me that I was very old. He was 5.

The happiest day of my life was the day first son was born. The day my second son was born tied that.

USN vet and USA retired

US Navy 78-84 OT (Argentia NFLD, Keflavik Iceland, Centerville Beach, CA)
US Army 86-00 Signal (Ft Hood TX, Darmstadt GE, Ft Gordon, GA)
DOD Contractor since 2000

Service

USAF, 24 years:
- Started as a Ground Radio Repairman working Titan II missile comms
- Cross-trained into electronic intel circa 1984
- Retired from active duty in 2005
Now working as a civilian for Department of the Army
:usa

By the way, if you are following this thread, you may be interested in joining the Veteran BMW Riders, BMW MOA Chartered Club #329. We have a Yahoo! group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vBMWr

No dues, fees, or membership cards--just a place to discuss veteran's issues and share war stories.

-MTS

US Army 66-68 3rd Inf Div Artillery. Artillery Radar Operator. Drafted and I was sure I was headed to Viet Nam but was fortunate enough to spend almost two years in Kitzengen Germany.

1995-1998 U.S Army. 3rd Infantry Division (Mech) Dco 3/69 AR. Fort Stewart GA. I was a tanker. Loved it.

1975-till I left home....Dad was in the Air Force. Military Brat. Moved a lot. Great experiences.

Now...Corrections Officer Atlantic County Department of Public Safety.

Hey all; U.S. Navy,'72-'76. U.S.S. Saratoga, NAS Jacksonville, NAS Oceana. ABH3. Enjoyed it for the most part, but was given a choice by the (soon departed) ex-wife. "Get out of the (expletive deleted) Navy, or I'm history!!" Got out, and, sure enough, she was history!! That's what I get for being a thoughtful, loving hubby!! Oh well... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

It's SERVE not Served

For most of us, I feel, the service to OUR country never ends. Even that flag that covers us, is folded, and given to a family member for their use and our honor before the "Rifle Salute" continues to honor our service.

Actual military time: June 1964 through Aug 1973
United States Army Security Agency, Comint capture, Elint,
United States Army Signal
Retired Medical Disability from Vietnam

Service to OUR country continues through today.

We, as videographers, provide this for our current fallen warriors at many memorial services:

http://dndprovideo.com/clips/Marine Memorial.asx

http://dndprovideo.com/clips/Army Memorial.asx

In addition we do a lot of commercial work for Department of Defense contractors:

http://dndprovideo.com/clips/C5 Paint Debut.asx

http://dndprovideo.com/clips/Austin AECOM Intro.asx

Longest lasting service for our country is the legacy left behind of being in that classroom every day, until retirement, teaching the values that made OUR country what it is. Standing for the pledge each day and innumerable comments of HOW to be an American was most often the only positive many young people recieved about service to THEIR country. "OK, you have the right to not say the pledge; but I have the right to have you stand in the hall while the rest of us honor those millions of Americans that died to give you the right to stand out there and promote those individual rights". How many times was I sued? NEVER.......How many times did I have a parent complain? NEVER.....How many times did I have a sit down with an administrator? NEVER.............

Anyway.........on and on...........GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY..........Dennis

Navy

1970 Tonkin Gulf

USS Shangri-La CVA-38

sailors are smarter and better looking

US Army - 23 years. Started as a Combat medic in 1971, went to the Army PA Program in 1975-1977, and the rest is history. Retired in San Antonio in 1994. Hated it as I was being drafted (after college), but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. Met my wife (Army Nurse, retired) in PA school, got a profession and a pension, and became a man. :thumb

USCG 1978-1986 six years as a search and rescue coxswain.
one of the first 12 MSF instructors offically trained for the military
(told them it was like having the cat pet sit the goldfish)

Drafted by the U.S. Army Feb.11, 1968, combat infantry Vietnam July 20, 68 to July 19, 69. 6 Months in Germany staring at the east German border, released from service on Feb. 9, 1970. 40 years ago and it seems like yesterday. :usa

USN ÔÇô TM3(SS) USS Corporal SS346 1966-69

USNR ÔÇô AMS2 VP-93 NAS Detroit 1978-80

Dept of the Army Civilian (Retired) -Tank Automotive RDE Center, Warren MI 1975-2006

I can't decide who to root for at the Army-Navy game.

Back