• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lake Superior Circle Tour

Zygmund

Pusser's Pyrate Society
I want to do the Circle Tour next spring and I'm looking for some feedback on how your trip went.

Superior

I have done the Souther half on my way to Gillette last summer, my only comment at this point would be to be mindful the Spirng will be cold....The northern side of the lake has few and far between services, no problem, just plan accordingly

We did the northern half leaving from Duluth after the Very Boring Rally. It was quite beautiful with facilities and services quite a ways apart as mentioned above. Wa-Wa was a nice easy day's ride from Thunder Bay. Take time to stop at picnic areas and provincial parks to sightsee. Watch for deer, as always. Very nice.

Welcome to the forum!

I am not certain what you mean by spring. The later you go in spring the better for temp. You can have nice temps during the day and VERY cold nights. The other weather issue before mid June is wind. ItÔÇÖs great for sailing but can cause buffeting on the ride.

US 61 north of Duluth to Thunder Bay can have heavy traffic with tourists, people going to the cabins and trucks. Nice road with multi lanes. There are scenic lake shore drives that hug the lake, take them.

The roads in the UP are great but again you can run into some truck traffic. The big thing in the UP is animal life from the expected deer but also porcupines. Several trips I have seen more porcupine on the road than deer. Scenery is great.

Over the top is the part of this trip that was usually a sprint for me. Watch your speed and for animals again.

Services are available. They are not always apparent so watch for signs and ask questions. Hours of operation can be the other issue. The golden rule of polite parties and long distance touring, never pass gas.

FOOD. There is some really great food available on this trip. Pies bake goods, all sorts of pasty variations to experiment with and some nice fine dining that lets you come in with casual attire are to be had all the way around. Do some research and keep your eyes open as you go. There is some really boring greasy spoon stuff also so donÔÇÖt be afraid to walk out if you donÔÇÖt find something interesting and try another.

Use the search function on the tool bar and you will find many more threads with detail descriptions and advice.

YEAH I have a bit of experience around those parts. Here are some comments:
In UP of Michigan, there is much to be said for the Keweenaw peninsula
http://www.keweenaw.info/attractions.aspx
. Main attraction to a rider is probably Hwy 41, very hilly and tree canopied. Copper Harbor is a very pretty and quaint area. If you like moteling it, there was (not sure if still true) a nice mom n pop a German couple owned I believe called The Bavarian. There is also camping at Fort Wilkins State park, which was very nice and a historical site.
Thunder Bay, Ont, be sure to take a side trip (a short side trip) to Kakebeka Falls. Not my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHRt84_eLbg There is a campground there also, but pretty rustic when I was there (mid 90s?)
Also see the Terry Fox Memorial.
If someone close to you has a February birthday, when you leave Thunder Bay heading north, that is Amethyst country I guess. Don't ask me the significance of why I thought I should add that, ehem:blush....(Amethyst is the Feb birthstone).
The trip along the north shore was really nice, can't remember anything in particular to mention. I stayed in a motel in WaWa but didn't like it, pretty bad. It had like a cartoonish pelican on the sign. Again it was quite a while ago though.
If you care to venture further east, I also like the "North Channel" area of Ontario, and Manitoulin Island, also. Really really nice country and people.

Gilly

Did the tour in '89 when it was called something else, on a weekend in July. Stopped in Wawa overnight, woke up in the morning and had to scrape the frost off the bike.

Been There...

Lived in the UP for 5 years. Saw it snow in every month of the year. Dress warm.

Plenty of great things to see in the UP. Hoping to do this tour as well this year. Post pictures when you are done....

Lake Luperior Circle Tour

I've done the circle many times, Best advice----If you have the time take as many roads toward the Lake as you can, thats where you will find the real beauty and true feel for the area and people.. Bayfield Wi Hwy 13 from Ashland to Superior, Lake Shore drive in Duluth to Two Harbors Mn, Rossport Ontario is cool, Whitefish Bay Mi. Go in July or early Aug if possible. Ride Safe

Thought you would never ask - in 2007 as part of my ride to the National event at West Bend, Wi., I rode along the East side of the Mississippi river from Prairie Du Chien, Wi., to Prescott, Wi., then to Duluth.

Then Highway 61 to Grand Marais, Minnesota. Nice campground on west side of town. Camped within a 100 feet of the Lake.

Next day went through Canadian customs. They had me roll to the back of the building and from there they had me take all my luggage apart. They also had me open the seat and searched under it. Then they let me go. There were 4 Harley riders in front of me that they asked to come into the office where they waited. They never searched them or their bikes while I was there. I left before they did.

Next I hit rain before I got to Thunder Bay. A light, constant soaking rain. It was impossible to stay dry. I had a full day of this. I would have taken some side road trips, but the weather was too miserable. Parts of Highway 17 were not paved when I went through. That night I made it to Wawa.

Then South to Green Bay, Wisconsin through Sault Ste. Marie.

At the Amercian border patrol crossing, 2 questions and they let me back in!:usa

Despite the weather in the middle of the trip, I would do it again, with more time for some side trips.

East of Thunder Bay to Wawa feels like you are in a very remote area, kind of like Alaska, except no mountains. Lots of moose crossing signs.

Attachments

• Lake_Superior.JPG
    Lake_Superior.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 219
I'm just now planning this trip for my birthday last part of June, so this thread is great!

Thanks everybody! Please keep it up!

ps anybody else want to go? PM me!

Red

Thought you would never ask - in 2007 as part of my ride to the National event at West Bend, Wi., I rode along the East side of the Mississippi river from Prairie Du Chien, Wi., to Prescott, Wi., then to Duluth.

Then Highway 61 to Grand Marais, Minnesota. Nice campground on west side of town. Camped within a 100 feet of the Lake.

Next day went through Canadian customs. They had me roll to the back of the building and from there they had me take all my luggage apart. They also had me open the seat and searched under it. Then they let me go. There were 4 Harley riders in front of me that they asked to come into the office where they waited. They never searched them or their bikes while I was there. I left before they did.

Next I hit rain before I got to Thunder Bay. A light, constant soaking rain. It was impossible to stay dry. I had a full day of this. I would have taken some side road trips, but the weather was too miserable. Parts of Highway 17 were not paved when I went through. That night I made it to Wawa.

Then South to Green Bay, Wisconsin through Sault Ste. Marie.

At the Amercian border patrol crossing, 2 questions and they let me back in!:usa

Despite the weather in the middle of the trip, I would do it again, with more time for some side trips.

East of Thunder Bay to Wawa feels like you are in a very remote area, kind of like Alaska, except no mountains. Lots of moose crossing signs.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your border crossing into Canada. Mine was the exact opposite.

I left the '07 MOA rally for a longer trip to the James Bay that included riding along the north side of Lake Superior. Basically I started at Duluth and went east. I camped east of Grand Marais (Judge C.R. Magney State Park - VERY clean facilities). When I got to the border I never had to get off my bike or even remove my helmet. The girl asked me a few questions, asked me if I was carrying pepper spray (yes I was, in a large "bear spray" can, which I told her and she never made me produce it) and then I was sent on my way. It took maybe 60 seconds; probably more like 30.

I also hit the unpaved section of road, along with that same section having a 200 yard section of loose, deep, river rock. That was scary. Aside from that, it was a beautiful ride the whole way. Look for Augasabon Falls in Terrace Bay. It's JUST off of Highway 17 so it's a easy and quick stop to make.

Did the circle after the national

Some friends and I took off due north from West Bend in '07, west into MN then a great side trip to Ely, MN then east via Thunder Bay. It was all great, but the eastern side of the lake on Rt 17 was spectacular. The sun didn't set until 10pm-ish and we had the best weather possible. Truly a gem of a jaunt. It was slightly Nova Scotia-like which is a wonderful thing for those who haven't experienced it...

Enjoy and be safe!

North side

Hi, I have done the North Shore of Lake Superior many times and lived in the Wawa area. There are many parks to camp at including the Sleeping Giant outside of Thunder Bay, stop at the Ouimet Canyon for a suspended bridge walk, heading east Rossport is spectacular with camping at Rainbow, and Neys Park. East of Wawa there are many to name including Gargantua, Agawa, Lake Superior Park has many small day parks within that are truly amazing including Old Woman Bay, Katherine's Cove, and the Sand River that offer great vistas and hiking trails with a must stop at Pancake Bay Park.

There is also small cottage style opportunities along the shoreline.

See the website below if you are interested.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/ont_map.html

Good luck,
Jamie

Used to live in Chicago so I used to ride up that way quite a bit 25 years ago...
I love the UP and the Kewanaw Penisula. Great camping, roads and places to stop and just enjoy.
Did do a complete circle around Lake Superior once too. I think I rode from St Ignace, MI to Grand Marais in one day. Wasn't anything fantastic scenery wise and it rained a lot but it was fun.:thumb

Back