• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

attendees from foreign countries

Complete attendance statistics, inluding how many people from foreign countries, are published after the rally, but I could not find this information in either the Rally Recap in the October BMWON or in the rally section of the website.

But I have seen these numbers in the past. Usually there is a handful from Europe, one or two from Mexico, maybe one or two from Asia.

The numbers are always broken out by state, and then by country. At the closing ceremony at the rally in Gillette, Jonathan Gifford handed us (the board members) a print out of his final numbers. In a strange quirk of fate, I just saw that document about a week ago as I was cleaning out my tank bag. Unfortunately, I tossed it out and have no recollection of the statistics.

HOWEVER - Jonathan Gifford, Deb Lower, or Karol Patzer would all be able to help you.

As my mind searches for traction reserve, I know that there are sister BMW motorcycle organizations around the world.
This is more curiosity than anything else but I wonder how many "non US nationals" attend the MOA rally, and how many US nationals (if any) attend the foreign ones.

Perhaps at some point in the future, there would be the "world" rally?

Addressing statdawg's point, if we include Canadians, then we have to include Central and South Americans. So I guess just to keep it simple, I would start with US and non-US attendees. No offense intended to either our neighbors to the north or south.

Foreigners

No problem.

The BMW MOA is the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, and America, in this and in many other cases, reffers to the United States of America.
Anyone else is foreigner, including Canadians, Mexicans, Ugandeesses, etc.

(In Mexico, "America" reffers to the whole Continent. But we know it doesn't do with friends from the USA).

Last edited:
BMW World Rally

The closest thing to the World??s BMW Rally might be the Motorrad Days, held in Germany or someplace in Europe.

No problem.

The BMW MOA is the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, and America, in this and in many other cases, reffers to the United States of America.
Anyone else is foreigner, including Canadians, Mexicans, Ugandeesses, etc.

(In Mexico, "America" reffers to the whole Continent. But we know it doesn't do with friends from the USA).

Maybe the name should be BMW Motorcycle Owners of North America. I don't think of our Canadian friends as foreigners but for some reason, I think of Mexico differently. I guess it is because a large part of Canada shares a common language and heritage with many of us in the States.

Maybe the name should be BMW Motorcycle Owners of North America. I don't think of our Canadian friends as foreigners but for some reason, I think of Mexico differently. I guess it is because a large part of Canada shares a common language and heritage with many of us in the States.

Large segments of the United States southwest share a common language with Mexico.

If we changed BMW Motorcycle Owners of "America", to "North America" is that intended to make the geography larger or smaller?

Large segments of the United States southwest share a common language with Mexico.

If we changed BMW Motorcycle Owners of "America", to "North America" is that intended to make the geography larger or smaller?

"of North America' would certainly be more accurate as per our logo, however our publications are only in one of the three major North American languages.

North America would be larger geographically than USA, the US is the middle sized country in North America by land area.

Regards, Rod.

"of North America' would certainly be more accurate as per our logo, however our publications are only in one of the three major North American languages.

North America would be larger geographically than USA, the US is the middle sized country in North America by land area.

Regards, Rod.

Yes - but - it now says ".... of America." It does not say BMW Owners of the U.S.A. So is North America larger or smaller than America?

.snip.
Regards, Rod.

Como esta? :stick :D

yeah, that's about the only thing I remember from high school spanish. :cry

I think it makes it larger. Many now read it as BMW Motorcycle Owners of the USA.

Does anyone (officer, chairperson, BoD, volunteer) have an idea as to how many foreign nationals attended previous rallys?

This is the attendance information provided to the Board members by Awards & Tally. Apparently, Canada and the U.S. are combined, but all other countries are identified separately.

Gillette 2008:
Total attendees: 5,103

Highest By State/Province:
----------------------------------
Colorado: 519
California: 302
Illinois: 245
Washington: 209
Minnesota: 192

Lowest by State/Province:
---------------------------------
District of Columbia: 3
Northwest Territories: 2
New Brunswick: 2
Prince Edward Island: 1
Hawaii: 1

From other countries: 26, composed of:
-------------------------------------------------
Austria
Denmark
Germany
China
Australia
Mexico

I like America because it encompasses South, Central, North America and France.

Saint Pierre and Michelon have been under French control which are islands off the coast of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. There might be at least one BMW motorcycle on the larger island because it has about 5 miles of road.

That should be Saint Pierre et Miquelon, not Michelon. Saint Pierre et Miquelon are not ÔÇ£under French controlÔÇØ - they are part of France!

Doc

Greg, doesn't that table (with the complete breakout for the other countries) run in the ON at some point after the rally? It was not included in the Rally Recap feature this time.

Back