Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: 2009 RA Rally Canaan Valley, WV

  1. #1
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,340

    2009 RA Rally Canaan Valley, WV

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From our Rally Chair, Gordan Boltz:

    Our 2009 Rally is going to be in the same locale as 2004. That is Canaan Valley, WV. The dates are July 23 to July 26, 2009.

    We have picked this date in conjunction with BMW MOA. Our rallies will be on consecutive weekends, and we will give some sort of recognition to those that attend both.

    We picked the location because it is close to the East Coast (an easy and inexpensive trip for many), yet offers great riding and facilities.

    We estimate (based on pre-registrations) that in 2004 we would have had around 3000 attendees. Then we were hit by Hurricane Ivan. Homes were destroyed in FL and the south. Roads were closed in NC. Rivers went 9 feet over flood stage in Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV. Buckets of rain fell the entire rally.

    Anyway, we felt the rally would have been the best one, and best attended, the RA ever had to that point if we hadn't been snake bitten by the weather.

    So we thought it was worth trying again at the same place. We are working hard to make this the best RA rally ever.

    We are renting the entire State Park, resort, ski lift, etc. The resort has upgraded its facilities and built a new pavilion. The local chamber of commerce has working on activities for us.

    We are hoping to expand our off-road activities since that seems to be a direction BMW is going. We expect to have a dirt bike school, as well as both MSF classes and a Lee Parks "Total Control School"

    BMW Classic (formerly BMW Mobile Tradition) has said they will send someone to our rally. Jeff Yost (of BMW Vintage Club) is trying to get together a vintage exhibit/show etc.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  2. #2
    Adventure Traveler wackettrw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    113

    Bmwmoa & Bmwra

    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From our Rally Chair, Gordan Boltz:

    Our 2009 Rally is going to be in the same locale as 2004. That is Canaan Valley, WV. The dates are July 23 to July 26, 2009.

    We have picked this date in conjunction with BMW MOA. Our rallies will be on consecutive weekends, and we will give some sort of recognition to those that attend both.

    We picked the location because it is close to the East Coast (an easy and inexpensive trip for many), yet offers great riding and facilities.

    We estimate (based on pre-registrations) that in 2004 we would have had around 3000 attendees. Then we were hit by Hurricane Ivan. Homes were destroyed in FL and the south. Roads were closed in NC. Rivers went 9 feet over flood stage in Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV. Buckets of rain fell the entire rally.

    Anyway, we felt the rally would have been the best one, and best attended, the RA ever had to that point if we hadn't been snake bitten by the weather.

    So we thought it was worth trying again at the same place. We are working hard to make this the best RA rally ever.

    We are renting the entire State Park, resort, ski lift, etc. The resort has upgraded its facilities and built a new pavilion. The local chamber of commerce has working on activities for us.

    We are hoping to expand our off-road activities since that seems to be a direction BMW is going. We expect to have a dirt bike school, as well as both MSF classes and a Lee Parks "Total Control School"

    BMW Classic (formerly BMW Mobile Tradition) has said they will send someone to our rally. Jeff Yost (of BMW Vintage Club) is trying to get together a vintage exhibit/show etc.
    Gordan,
    Count me in! I'll be at both the MOA & RA rallies (back-to-back in July 2009).
    Rich

  3. #3
    beemerphile1
    Guest

    scheduling conflicts suck!

    Although I love the RA rallies, I probably will not attend this year. The RA rally has been scheduled for the same weekend as the AMA Vintages Days which I regularly attend.

    Due to limited vacation time, I cannot attend rallies on back to back weekends.


    If I attend the RA rally I cannot attend the MOA rally or Vintage Days. I can however attend the MOA rally and then attend Vintage Days because the Mid-Ohio racetrack is only two hours from my house.

  4. #4
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    I'll be there with bells on. It is ok to wear bells....correct
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  5. #5
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
    Although I love the RA rallies, I probably will not attend this year. The RA rally has been scheduled for the same weekend as the AMA Vintages Days which I regularly attend.

    Due to limited vacation time, I cannot attend rallies on back to back weekends.


    If I attend the RA rally I cannot attend the MOA rally or Vintage Days. I can however attend the MOA rally and then attend Vintage Days because the Mid-Ohio racetrack is only two hours from my house.
    So Beemerphile, did you like molest a BMW at sometime..Just asking
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  6. #6
    Der Kaptain mrtnfischer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Moscow, NE PA near Scranton
    Posts
    116

    RV to Canaan Valley, will there be spaces, do we

    go throught the park or you people............................?

  7. #7
    Adventure Traveler wackettrw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    113

    RV Camping at Canaan Valley State Park

    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnfischer View Post
    go throught the park or you people............................?
    I have camped at Canaan Valley State Park for a COG National Rally (where COG=Kawasaki Motorccyle Concours Owners Group). There is excellent camping for RVs, trailers, & motorhomes etc at the Canaan Valley State Park campground. Unfortunately, the tent camping is not as good, unless the Park personnel allow us to camp on the vast treed/shaded lawns surrounding (& in) the campground. The camp sites are asphalt & set up for RVs, trailers, & motorhomes ... not tent camping. The park personnel would not allow us COGGERS to move any of the many detached picnic tables to level ground under trees on the beautiful manicured lawns. The asphalt campsites (set up for vehicles, not tents) had little level places to stake down tents. Many tents got washed-out during afternoon rains. However, overall, the Canaan Valley State Park is absolutely beautiful and full of wild (strongly protected) game.

    If you need additional information about Canaan Valley State Park, email me:

    wackettrw@yahoo.com

    Please NOTE, I have nothing to do with the BMWRA National Rally, other than I will be in attendance, like I was at the Biltmore Estates in North Carolina.

    Richard (2004 R1150RT)

  8. #8
    Chromehead bobs98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Marlton, South Jersey
    Posts
    1,073

    Look here:

    For more info on the BMW RA Rally
    http://www.bmwra.org/rally/
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

  9. #9
    callmethebreeze
    Guest

    Ra

    Definitely in. Looking forward to some moonshine and roadkill......



    Breeze

  10. #10
    warredon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze View Post
    Definitely in. Looking forward to some moonshine and roadkill......



    Breeze
    No shortage of roadkill, but the "shine" might be a little hard to find these days. I don't run in those circles anymore, but I know it has been quite a while since I've seen any authentic moonshine. My guess is that if you were to find the "right " people, a jug would be fairly expensive.

  11. #11
    Club President gsjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Johnstown Pa.
    Posts
    887
    I was riding a bit further south in WV last fall, camping for a few nights at Boyer Station.

    I stopped at a little market to pick up some beer and provisions for the night. Having struck up a conversation with the shop owner about beer, food, riding the talk turned to shine.

    I left with a 24 ounce foam coffee cup full of home made, from out back in the shed! The campgroun owered confirmed that it would good, and safe!

    I didn't drink much but it was smooth...........we shared it around the campfire that night. What was left ate the foam cup by morning.

    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

  12. #12
    Low speed, high drag
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mankato, MN
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    I didn't drink much but it was smooth...........we shared it around the campfire that night. What was left ate the foam cup by morning.

    jason

    That's always been my benchmark for "smooth."

    ...the ability to eat a foam cup by morning!

  13. #13
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    I was riding a bit further south in WV last fall, camping for a few nights at Boyer Station.

    I stopped at a little market to pick up some beer and provisions for the night. Having struck up a conversation with the shop owner about beer, food, riding the talk turned to shine.

    I left with a 24 ounce foam coffee cup full of home made, from out back in the shed! The campgroun owered confirmed that it would good, and safe!

    I didn't drink much but it was smooth...........we shared it around the campfire that night. What was left ate the foam cup by morning.

    jason
    I purchased some legal shine when I was there in 04. Proberly not as smooth as the real stuff you had. I still have a little left, so I will have to give it the overnight foam cup test soon. If I recall correctly it was 2 months old when I purchased it. Not fresh like the stuff you had.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    I purchased some legal shine when I was there in 04. Proberly not as smooth as the real stuff you had. I still have a little left, so I will have to give it the overnight foam cup test soon. If I recall correctly it was 2 months old when I purchased it. Not fresh like the stuff you had.
    pour a bit into a bottle cap and light it. If it has yellow in the flame . . . do not drink. (lead)

  15. #15
    . AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,381

    Last day to register at reduced rate!

    Just wanted to let y'all know that (I think) today is the last day for early registration. AFAIK it ends tonight; you'll be able to sign up in Gray but not get the discount (but it'll still be simpler at the registration tent).

    I'm not on the registration staff so I don't know the exact details.

    Signup is, of course, accessed at www.bmwra.org/rally/
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •