• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Supplemental LED Brake Light

LED Brake lights

I have the Hyper Lights - there is a small control unit which is tucked away in the rear storage unit... otherwise you just tap into the existing brake wiring. 30 minute job on mine.

Mine uses a different harness, but as far as the physical install (should be close to mine), the mounting plate matches up to the license plate mounting holes on the rear fender, generally you'll connect the light to the harness behind the license plate. This also means, that each time you take the license plate off the light is partially "uninstalled".

The harness probably connects up under the rear seat, but I haven't installed one on a R11xx. I installed mine in 30 or so too.

-Joel

Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to tap into the OEM wiring. I'd like to do a plug-n-play type of installation. I'll have to get this some thought.

OE Wiring

This is where the signal and power for new lights originates. The link you set up clearly shows tap connectors.

Piece of cake, even for an electrical moron like me.

I may not have been clear before. The add-on LED harness should connect to the LED unit behind the plate. Like Beemer01 said, you still need to either tap the LED harness into the factory harness, the harness may have a connector (I've seen a 2006 harness w/one) or fabricate a Y connection.

The kit shows scotch-lock taps which I have seen corrode over time, so you may want to consider an alternative connector. Guess you'll find out for sure when it shows up.

I ordered the Supplemental LED Brake Light that is in the BMW Motorrad Accessory catalog. See pic.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=5480133&pid=10630741&myphotos=1

Not having this yet, can someone tell me how thay get installed and how it get wired.

I installed one on an 1150RT. Wired it directly to the brake light using piggy back connectors. The piggy back connectors plug in place of the existing brake wires and provide two connector (like a Y) to plug the original wire and the new LED wire. No splicing or tapping.

I got the connectors from the BMW mechanic at my local shop when I picked up the light. You will need three.

Takes about 30 minutes including removal of the brake light cover.

Y pig tail

The Y connector is what I would like to have for the brake light. Thanks, I'll be at a local shop tomorrow and I'll ask about these.

I make a Y conncector for my GoldWing when I added a second horn. It's a clean installation. I wasn't sure if this could be done for a add on brake light.

I installed a Brake! LED light in my r1100s, took less than 5 minutes. The company is back up here. I highly recommend, based on my experience. YMMV.

Thanks coffeeguy, I'll add the addition brake light that I now have but may look at this modulator as another option.

I have two problems. I didn't receive direction with the Supplement LED Brake Light. There is a white with a yellow strip wire and a white with a dark gray strip wire and I'm not sure where they connect to the bikes brake light wiring. Can someone tell me where these wires go?

Chris wrote "...Wired it directly to the brake light using piggy back connectors. The piggy back connectors plug in place of the existing brake wires and provide two connector (like a Y) to plug the original wire and the new LED wire" Does anyone know where I can get one of these piggy back connectors, I'll need three.

Can't help with the install, but for those of you who have already added rear lights, would you post of pic of it, as it sounds like everyone is using a different type/brand.

I'd like to see what my options are before i buy one.

Y connectors are a piece of cake

Chris, I took the light assembly off and I see what your talking about. There are two blade connectors on the light bulb base and Y connectors are very easy to use for this type of hook up. Thanks, I should have taken the light assy off the bike when I first posted about this light.

Can't help with the install, but for those of you who have already added rear lights, would you post of pic of it, as it sounds like everyone is using a different type/brand.

I'd like to see what my options are before i buy one.

Hmmm, I'm sure I posted a pic and a link to my Brake! install but since it isn't here I guess I forgot to do a "submit" after a preview. Or "they" are out to get me :bolt by screwing with my mind.

Anyway, take a look at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/brake/ to see how the Brake! looks installed on my R12GS.

// marc

Marc, the light looks good. I should have my bike done just after Christmas and I'll take some pictures. I'll be adding the LED brake light and PIAA 910 and 1100X driving lights to the front at the same time I'll be putting in a fuse block and a volt meter. The 910's will be up near the mirrors for open road usage and the 1100X will be under the headlight which will be good in traffic.

The 1100X's may not stay on the bike if this turns out to be over kill. I'll try it and see.

BTW, I like the R69S. Thats cool.

Connectors

I have used those in the past, the Radio Shack version is easier (sort of) to add to the existing wire. If you use the tap in Radio shack connector get some silicone and put it in the connection before you close it and then it is water proof.
:thumb

Back