Thread: 23 Reasons People Shouldn't Work On Their Own Vehicles

23 Reasons People Shouldn't Work On Their Own Vehicles

For Paul Glaves and all the other expert techs here!
    Be glad someone doesn't bring you one of these.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/mechanic-problems

Funny.

Sadly, I imagine Paul and some others have seen these sort of fixes and complaints with surprising regularity.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Wow! Truly, some shouldn't.

re Photo 15, the ty-wrapped sprocket - That happened to many "Invader" wheels, the chromed 5-spoke mags that used to be sold for Harleys. The sprocket flange was poorly welded to the hub and would break, leaving one stranded. Like mine on the 405 (San Diego Freeway) southbound, just before the 710 (Long Beach Freeway), at 5 PM... long ago, and a nice guy with a pickup truck saw me & pulled over! Unfortunately, when the chain suddenly jammed, it messed up some tranny innards too, grrr...

School_for_the_Mechanically_Declined.jpg

2008_09_29_Far_Side_Rocket_Science.jpg

Yeah, funny. Or not.

The sad reality is that you are less likely to do damage than a licensed mechanic is.
    There aren't that many "Glaves" or "Largiaders" or "Cutters" out there(to name a few).
    And I don't even think Paul Glaves is a bike pro. No disrespect, I read everything he writes, it just goes to my point.

My point is:
    If you really want to fix something and you put your mind to it, and you have some aptitude, you will eventually succeed.

Some don't have the pre-requisites and are forced to trust mechanics.
    Most find a "good guy", a lot don't.

There are far too many sob stories of automotive mechanic incompetence - I can find thousands of recent ones.

The latest in my experience is my sisters Mercedes B200.
    Wouldn't start reliably.
    I said 'Fuel pump relay'.
    Shade tree garage tried to replace it but apparently missed the correct relay.
    The F&*%^$#ing Mercedes dealer replaced the fuel pump twice at a cost of $2,000 and didn't fix it.

Second shade tree garage replaced the correct relay and now it starts like a new one.

There are 23,000,000 reasons people should work on their own vehicles.
    I feel badly for those who can not.

Edit: Those geeks didn't build that rocket, they designed it. The drawing looks OK.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

I've been a pro HD wrench for 35+ years. I've seen a lot of dumb stuff and everything I have ever seen can be broadly applied throughout any profession. Ask me how I feel about my divorce lawyer.

Stuff is getting a lot more driven towards technicians that are really good with a laptop. I had to explain to a tech the other day how to pull the outer race inside a tube. No, you can't use a puller as the race is flush to the counter-bore.

I'm a pretty good mechaninic but I know for damn sure I don't know it all and I still make rookie mistakes.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Nothing against you Yoda.

Sure good mechanics make mistakes as you admitted in your post, who doesn't?
    NOBODY should fault that, IF you man up and fix what YOU messed up for free. Usually, it's mostly time, YOU eat the parts(if any) which is usually not that much.

You're a mouthy bastidge but I'd love to have you as a neighbour, and I bet you're a damned good mechanic too.
    Mike Marr

Just for fun, visit one of the new generation auto dealers. I'm sure you have see them. They have food, internet, couches and try to give you an experience. While you are there, see if you can eaves drop on the goings on at the "service writers" station
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    Nothing against you Yoda.

Sure good mechanics make mistakes as you admitted in your post, who doesn't?
    NOBODY should fault that, IF you man up and fix what YOU messed up for free. Usually, it's mostly time, YOU eat the parts(if any) which is usually not that much.

You're a mouthy bastidge but I'd love to have you as a neighbour, and I bet you're a damned good mechanic too.
    In the day, our mistakes were covered by "Community Service". The company would eat the parts, we would eat the labor (see "evening shift" in the mechanics dictionary). It's against the law in Manitoba now. My mechanics f-up, I pay them, eat the parts and in my industry, I pay the down time costs the customer might have. I've been known to pay for a few more hotel rooms and rental replacements that I would rather not brag about.

I don't really prefer to be called a "mouthy bastidge". I would rather be called an arrogant SOB Canuck. Actually, my really good friends call me a Dink. Sometime worse.................

I am a horrible neighbour. Been known to get a bit cranky with the raccoons in the middle of the night wearing less than modest attire.

Ah yes, the dealership customer lounge. Don't go to the shop and watch what goes on. Just go through the experience blissfully ignorant and trusting. You will be much happier.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

#13 Catalytic converter theft. It is a real problem in some areas.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    I don't really prefer to be called a "mouthy bastidge".
    Sorry DY, that was a bit out of line - but I knew you could take it.

Your "Community Service" plan sounds like a winner.
    I guess it's illegal now because we can't reasonably expect people to be responsible for their own work.
    Mike Marr

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    When I was employed in the MC/Auto repair business, there were almost weekly occurrences or stupidity on the costumers part, and a few on some mechanics parts.

One that still baffles me was a woman that brought her car in for service, and we gave her a loaner. A few minutes later she comes back in stating she couldn't drive the loaner, because it was an automatic transmission, and she had always driven stick shift! A brief interesting conversation took place, and she was insistent that she couldn't drive an automatic, because there was no where for her to use her left foot! We ended up giving her a used car with a stick. I am sure if I reflected back, I could spend the day here telling crazy stories.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010