• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

denier numbers?

The Blue Max
What is meant by the denier numbers for cordura etc? Is a higher number indicative of better quality or the other way round and does it apply to gore tex jackets?:scratch

More is Better Mostly

Denier is a unit of measure for the linear mass density of fibers. It is defined as the mass in grams per 9,000 metres. In the International System of Units the tex is used instead (see below).

One can distinguish between Filament and Total denier. Both are defined as above but the first only relates to a single filament of fiber (also commonly known as Denier per Filament or D.P.F) whereas the second relates to an agglomeration of filaments.

The following relationship applies to straight, uniform filaments:

D.P.F. = Total Denier / Quantity of Uniform Filaments

The denier system of measurement is used on two and single filament fibers. Some common calculations are as follows:
1 denier = 1 gram per 9 000 meters
= 0.05 grams per 450 meters (1/20 of above)

* A fiber is generally considered a microfiber if it is 1 denier or less.
* A 1-denier polyester fiber has a diameter of about 10 micrometres.
* Denier is used as the measure of density of weave in tights and pantyhose, which defines their opaqueness.

A hopefully somewhat more straightforward answer:

Higher denier = "better." I believe that higher numbers indicate heavier/denser fabric, and presumably better abrasion and wear resistance, thus better protection in a crash without wearing through to the layers underneath.

----------------------
Andy
2009 R1200 RT

Apologies to all, but I can't help posting this:

A plumber emailed the National Institute of Science and Technology saying that he had just heard that hydrochloric acid would clean clogged drainpipes and asking if it would be safe to use.

The expert at the Institute emailed back saying: ÔÇ£While the efficacy of hydrochloric acid as a solvent is indisputable, the corrosive impact of ionic residues is incompatible with metallic longevity. Consequently, its use is contraindicated for your proposed application.ÔÇØ

The plumber emailed back thanking the Institute for their response, but asked it they would just tell him how long it would take to clear the pipes. In frustration, his problem was handed off to a lower-tier expert who emailed the plumber: "While, as you have observed, hydrochloric acid is undeniably highly effective as a reducing agent in removing drainpipe obstructions, we must point out that its caustic properties are likely to have highly foreseeable adverse consequences in its chemical reaction with ferrous metals.ÔÇØ

Once again, the grateful plumber wrote the Institute thanking them, and telling them that he was going to give the hydrochloric acid a shot.

In response, one of the NIST lawyers wrote the plumber saying: ÔÇ£The NTIS must inform you that while the use of industrial grade hydrochloric acid on bathroom sewer pipes will clear obstructions, the production of toxic, noxious, and corrosive agents is unavoidable.ÔÇØ

The plumber sent another email to thank the conscientious folks at the Institute. He said that because of their technical advice he would recommend that all his clients regularly use hydrochloric acid to prevent clogged drains.

Finally, that night, a cleaning lady who happened to read the correspondence on an NIST computer screen wrote back: ÔÇ£STOP using hydrochloric acid! It eats the hell out of metal pipes.ÔÇØ

What is meant by the denier numbers for cordura etc? Is a higher number indicative of better quality or the other way round and does it apply to gore tex jackets?:scratch

IN GENERAL, although this is not the technical definition, .....For a given type of fabric (Polyester, Cordura nylon, etc), the larger the denier, the larger the yarn. A 1,000 denier yarn is larger (courser, heavier) than a 500 denier yarn. Fabrics made of 75 denier yarns would typically be used for very lightweight tents or jacket linings. Fabrics made of 500 denier yarns would be more commonly found in backpacks or motorcycle jackets.

Denier is not a measurement of quality, just (effectively) yarn size. What material the yarn is made from (polyester, nylon, Cordura nylon), how many filaments (strands) are in the yarn, how the yarn is woven (plain, oxford, taffeta, ripstop), and of course fitness for your purpose, contribute to the "quality."

Gore-Tex is a coating related to Teflon; not associated with any denier.

Quality in a garment is a combination of correct choice of fabric for the application, the design of the garment, and the actual construction of the garment (taped seams? quality of zippers? lined?)

Many variables, many choices.

/Bob

RE: plumber story

I can relate! I once had to figure out how to wire a six-pole pressure switch for which I had no documentation and called the manufacturer about it...they had me talk to an engineer who took 15 minutes to describe how each throw and pole is affected by changes in pressure. I had to draw diagrams to follow along with hiw descriptions, and I still only barely got it- and I'm a technical guy! A simple "this pole and this pole open above 60 psi, and this pole and this pole open below 40 psi" would have sufficed.

I have grown to really despise engineers. :banghead

Back