• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1984 R100rt

georgej

I have an opportunity to buy an '84 R100Rt,for $2300.The bike has 57,000 miles on it.Maintenance records from the original owner as well as the second owner of the past three years.It's silver/black,has a few scratches and the lower part of the fairing is off,but he has it. Has a new battery and is ready to ride,needs nothing mechanically. I think that is a great price on that bike,if I didn't just buy my '78 RS I would have it.I think it would be a nice addition to my garage,as well as a change from the RS. I'm thinking on it,what do you all think?
George

Buy it, attach the lowers, and ride the heck out of it.

If you don't buy it, tell me where it is and what the phone number is. I can pack and leave real fast.

:ca

If you're made of money, buy it just for the principle of the thing. The price is certainly reasonable. If you're not made of money, then I'd consider it if you enjoy distance riding. The RT is a bit more comfortable for distance. I ride a /6 now with an S fairing, and I ride distance. There've been times when I missed my RT for that reason. Go where your heart and brains tell you to go on this thing.

Just like a boat or a car, it all comes down to what you want to do with it. How you are going to use it. I'm beyond the lean forward high perf point in my life and have always liked the look of an airhead RT. I currently ride a po'boys version an R100T with a clumsy Vetter fairing. Its functional, but to my eye the RT fairing is better looking and better for the bike. But to an RS fan, and RT would probably never cut it IMO.

I currently have a '83 R100T and a '72 R60/5 Toaster (up for sale). Tons of upgrades on my R100T make it a great bike for my purposes, but if/when I get a chance I'll get an RT and make similar upgrades (dual plugged heads, high output electrics, better lights, etc.).

If you don't buy it, put my name in line too. Otherwise, grab it, the price is right.

I've only ridden the RS once,which was up to my friends shop. The riding season is pretty much done here in upstate ny,so I won't know if the riing position of the RS will suit me until next season I guess. Unfortunately I'm not made of money,but I think that price on the RT is pretty good considering it's a get on and ride it bike that needs no overhauling.I'm thinking I'll get it and see which one I like better,sell the other one.I'm sure I can get my money back,maybe even a small profit. If I didn't have two kids in college right now,that bike would be in my garage,no hesitation.

I hear ya on the economic issues. If I didn't have this Toaster project (I hated seeing a bike laid up half in boxes, half still together waiting to be probably parted out), I'd probably be looking more seriously at something like what you've found. Good price, mechanically ready. I like a nice looking bike, but don't really need a garage queen. I want something I can ride all over the place and nto worry too much.

The RT to me is the ultimate for how I use a bike. I commute about 100 miles round trip on the DC beltway and side roads, so I want comfort and reliability. I'd love a 2004 RT, but not sure I am capable of handling all the mechanical tasks and can't afford to pay someone, so Airheads are for me.

It's not original paint, of course.

Buy it for the better engine, drivetrain and brakes compared to your '78.

You can easily mount your RS fairing to this chassis if you want.

I have an 84R100RT, and find it a wonderful winter bike. Buy it, and your season is NOT over.

It's not original paint? I thought I've seen some RT's and RS's in what looked like silver/black or dark blue/black.Anyway that's not that important. I have a real nice Norton Commando that I'mgoing to sell.I never ride it ,prefer the ariheads.

Buy it

They aren't making any more of these, you know. Very good price. Remember, he who hesitates is lost.
I would still go thru the splines and steering head lube - receipts or not. Do receipts show unleaded conversion?

I love my RT.

But to sell a Norton Commando? Never. Best bike in the garage, and there's a few in there.

Annapolis, if he's selling, you should be buying!

Buy it. I had one that I bought new in 84 and rode it for ~100k. It was my favorite airheads for touring other than my R100GSPD. One thing to be aware of on the 84 is the exhaust valves. That vintage suffered from valve seat recession. I had to have the valves on mine done at ~ 46K miles. The newer/replacement valve seats are much improved.

Re valve seat recession, I bought mine with 22K, check the valve clearances every 2K, run a little ValvTect once in a while...no sign of problems yet but that doesn't mean they're not coming. FWIW, I run this bike as my winter bike, so ambient temps run relatively low....can't imagine I've had it out above 60 degrees F (my feet would roast!), usually lower...not sure if that's relevant but FWIW...

I love my RT.

But to sell a Norton Commando? Never. Best bike in the garage, and there's a few in there.

Annapolis, if he's selling, you should be buying!

Torn between them, but I have to say I've been Jonesing for an RT since I discovered Airheads. I think in the past 12 months I've eaten and processed more airhead books, articles and online forums than I have meals (and bent more than a few ears). I love the look of an RS, but my body (back) doesn't have the same affection for it. The RT, more upright suits me better and I have a sort-of RT now.

The Norton Commando is just plain cool and gets cooler with the passage of time IMO. I don't know the first things about them other than there are far too few around!

Re valve seat recession, I bought mine with 22K, check the valve clearances every 2K, run a little ValvTect once in a while...no sign of problems yet but that doesn't mean they're not coming. FWIW, I run this bike as my winter bike, so ambient temps run relatively low....can't imagine I've had it out above 60 degrees F (my feet would roast!), usually lower...not sure if that's relevant but FWIW...

I've heard a lot of rants about 81-84 (and newer) airheads having some issues that older ones don't. They all seem addressable unless you don't like to wrench--makes ya wonder why you'd buy an airhead if you don't. A friend told me 81-84 bikes had exhaust valves issues (brought on by a change to handle unleaded fuel???), they can't take the heat or don't dissipate it efficiently. That was fixed in 85, presumably with the money they saved on removing the circlip. Choose your poison.

The Norton Commando is an awesome machine to say the least. I sold my '76 Triumph Bonneville to raise funds for the Norton. Having ridden both I have to say I prefer the Triumph.To me it is more enjoyable to ride. Maybe it's that right side gear shift,I don't know.I will always have to have a British bike in my garage,but it will be a Triumph.I would also like to have another /5.Anyway I'm going to sell the Norton. I don't want to use this forum to advertise it though. Not sure if I should wait until spring.I'm asking $6000 for her. She is a sweet looking bike,just not my cup of tea.

Attachments

• P1030789.jpg
    P1030789.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 122
Sounds like me, the only BMW I ever wanted was an RS... I went looking, ended up figuring for what I would use it for, the RT was a better bet. Still wouldn't mind having an RS...

The Norton Commando is a completely different bike. More torque than you could imagine - I also have a VERY built 900 SS Ducati and a Harley Deuce. Both torque monsters, and both would take a back seat to the Norton in that department (Commando is seriously undersquare). Handles like a 12-speed bike. Took a bit of work to make reliable, but it can be done.

Couldn't more highly recommend a Commando. Maybe not the bike to have if you can have one and no more - although it absolutely could be (I encourage renewing systems to make them bulletproof - again, takes some doing but doable) - but definitely worth considering adding to a stable.

Best of luck. - B

The Norton Commando is an awesome machine to say the least. I sold my '76 Triumph Bonneville to raise funds for the Norton. Having ridden both I have to say I prefer the Triumph.To me it is more enjoyable to ride. Maybe it's that right side gear shift,I don't know.I will always have to have a British bike in my garage,but it will be a Triumph.I would also like to have another /5.Anyway I'm going to sell the Norton. I don't want to use this forum to advertise it though. Not sure if I should wait until spring.I'm asking $6000 for her. She is a sweet looking bike,just not my cup of tea.

Spectacular Commando George. Funny, I have a /5 Toaster I planned on making my winter project. After 3 weeks, I am pretty sure I'll be done in 2 more. Funds are very tight though, so it'll probably go on the block. I like it, but its not the bike I really want. In the meantime, I'll probably just enjoy my R100T until I can find an RT in my range. The PO did a ton of upgrades to the R100T, hitch trailer, dual plaugged, european light swtich, yada yada. Very reliable with the only exceptions being my own learning errors.

Nortons had right-side shift until 75, the year they also got an electric, em, "assister." Mine is a 73, right side shift, first kick lights it up.

Back