• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Forum access problem- 'database error'

The_Veg

D'OH!
The last few days I have been unable to access the forum via the link on the homepage. I got in now by clicking on one of the 'recent posts' links. The main link takes me to a white page with a 'database error' message. What's up with the main link?

Seems the current server is way overloaded and the DB errors are related to that load, I know Scott is working this issue with the hosting service and last i saw he's getting close. I got the same thing trying to send a PM this morning and I've had the same sort of problems on my own site with some of software I use there, a lot these internet server apps use some sort of database it seems.

RM

The last few days I have been unable to access the forum via the link on the homepage. I got in now by clicking on one of the 'recent posts' links. The main link takes me to a white page with a 'database error' message. What's up with the main link?

Must just be your timing. :) I can get to the forum through the main link, now. A few minutes ago I couldn't get to it regardless of how I tried to navigate to the page.

I hope we get that server upgrade SOON! I also hope our database backups are recent in case something really takes a turn for the worst.

After a few tries I just give up and do something else. After a while I try again. If it works - fine. If not, maybe I go riding.

I was about to just go away for a week or so - but can't resist trying to see if it is fixed yet.

Quick update:
The server has been overhauled. It should be significantly more stable and a bit snappier.

We are, however, still moving to a new box that will then be even snappier.

Quick update:
The server has been overhauled. It should be significantly more stable and a bit snappier.

We are, however, still moving to a new box that will then be even snappier.

I was curious if we were getting upgraded, today. Thanks for the update!

I was curious if we were getting upgraded, today. Thanks for the update!

I would have hoped that this would happen in the wee hours or that we could have at least gotten up a quick "We're playing today, come back soon", but it couldn't wait.

Since you brought it up!!!!

Having been patient for several weeks while this problem has been ongoing, how about a firm date as to when we will not longer have to endure these problems?

It's not really too much to ask.

I would assume we are also asking for a refund for lack of service/slow service and database errors. After all, we are not getting for what we paid.

I know nothing about any of this, but my son was a Senior IT Manager with Nextel and he knows a lot. I won't tell you his suggestion but if it was under his control, there would be changes.

We are a 40,000 member organization paying good money for this forum. We shouldn't have to suffer this level of service.

Chill!

Voni

While waiting for pages to load I have a lot of chil time.

But if by chill you mean sit by and be quiet while this problem continues only to be told to be patient ........................

Well that's not going to happen.

The level of service is now unacceptable. I think Veg, as an interested BOD member and forum user, should have some feed back other than "it will get better etc."

Bud,

The server had a failure. It took some time to fully manifest itself. What originally looked to be too great a load on a box that was no longer up to snuff for our needs proved to be more than that. We had a hard drive in our RAID that was successfully mounting, but was otherwise dead. This partial failure was causing spikes in memory and processor usage. It's peculiar behavior at the least as the reason you set up a RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is to deal with these kinds of failures. I wish it had been caught sooner, but it wasn't. When it was apparent that there was a problem, we began taking the steps to move to a new box. Including looking into other hosts, confirming what kind of resources we need, etc.

I'm in the midst of migrating our site to this new server. This takes more than a day of work. In the midst of this move, the old server suffered a crippling failure that shut us down this morning. We are now up and running and we should be reasonably stable. The move to the new box continues as we still need more power than our current server. It should be live early next week. As we are moving to a more up to date box complete with newer versions of MySQL and PHP, there *might* be some needed tweaks to the code and settings that runs the site. As I won't know until the site is fully set up over there, while I expect that we'll be live Monday, it might be Tuesday or so.

All of that boils down to "We've had a problem. It's being fixed. Please be patient." I could have gone deeper into the gobbledygook of how the server failed and what's involved in fixing it and migrating the site, but I didn't see and don't see the point of doing so here in the forum. This is a motorcycle club, not a server maintenance club. The bulk of conversations about this and any problem do not and will not take place here in the forum. None of it would have fixed or did fix the problem any faster. If the above isn't good enough for you, there's nothing more I can say.

Scott,

I you can not see the need to inform members of anything other than "it will get better", then I would have nothing further to say. Online Central was set up for this use. Communication about the forum, not motorcycles, oil, tires etc. If you think it is not necessary, perhaps we could just eliminate Online Central and you won't be bothered by users.

But, I hope that you can see that your full, detailed explanation of the "Perfect Storm" of server problems would make members more understanding of the time it has taken and the additional time it may take before everything is back to normal.

At the very least, it would have prevented me from asking the BOD for an explanation since none was forthcoming.

I gave myself a 2 week timeout from the forum. Looks like I will make it another 4 and perhaps problems will be resolved by then and CMS will be implemented.

See ya all in 4 weeks. :wave

Scott,

Having to play with servers and all the acronyms that goes along with them daily, I know how these bugs can really be a thorn in your side. Trying to juggle them along with an upgrade can be a real PITA.

Thanks for keeping on top of this and getting us up and running smoothly again.

:thumb

I'm in the midst of migrating our site to this new server. This takes more than a day of work. In the midst of this move, the old server suffered a crippling failure that shut us down this morning. We are now up and running and we should be reasonably stable. The move to the new box continues as we still need more power than our current server. It should be live early next week. As we are moving to a more up to date box complete with newer versions of MySQL and PHP, there *might* be some needed tweaks to the code and settings that runs the site. As I won't know until the site is fully set up over there, while I expect that we'll be live Monday, it might be Tuesday or so.

Well, Scott, all of us are used to excellent service.
And when there is a glitch, out impatience rises proportional to the "wait" time.
I, for one, am looking forward to the usual MOA site excellence after the repairs.

Patience is a virtue

Scott,

I have two ways to go to the WWW at home, anyway

#1 is slow and sure...Dial up...And because of this, I'm used to delays galore, waitng, waiting, waiting is not uncommon!

The second is a bit faster, a dish on the roof. And it, like a attractive, trashy lover treats me fine then drops me cold, then comes back to love me again, then shuts me down..over and over I keep coming back for more...

I guess what I'm saying is I'm used to my own little connection problems, and appreciate everything youre doing to make it all run right. Thanks!

Dale

Since you brought it up!!!!

Having been patient for several weeks while this problem has been ongoing, how about a firm date as to when we will not longer have to endure these problems?

It's not really too much to ask.

I would assume we are also asking for a refund for lack of service/slow service and database errors. After all, we are not getting for what we paid.

I know nothing about any of this, but my son was a Senior IT Manager with Nextel and he knows a lot. I won't tell you his suggestion but if it was under his control, there would be changes.

We are a 40,000 member organization paying good money for this forum. We shouldn't have to suffer this level of service.

As the top IT dog for a 100 mill company I know enough not to cast aspersions on other organizations networks / servers / applications or IT staff lest it boomerang.

Especially when comparing my setup / resources against that of a member supported organization.

Nextell... They still in business? :laugh :bolt

Best,

Rob Nye
B+H Ocean Carriers

Back