• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rider/Passenger communication

tbonesr1100

I'm in the market for a communications system...Wireless is mandatory with ease of set up and use a close second. I'd prefer not to have any additonal hardware stuck or otherwise attached to my helmet. Any suggestions?

While it doesn't conform to the "no new stuff stuck to your helmet" requirement I can recommend the Scala Q2 Teamset highly. You do have to mount the units to the helmet but they are small and very easy to mount. I bought the set mainly for a wireless intercom with the additional need to at least answer a cellphone call while on the bike. It will also work with other Bluetooth gadgets like a GPS and will work bike to bike between the two. All you have to do is pair it with any of the extra gadgets you want to use with the system. The nice thing about the teamset is if you just want to use the two for on bike (or bike to bike) comms the two headsets are already paired at the factory, take them out of the box, mount them to your helmet and charge the units, and they work right out of the box.

Downfall is that if you do long days the internal battery may not be enough. Scala claims 8 hours or so but I think it's less depending on how much you use it and what you use it with. The wife and I use it for intercom and like it but most of our rides are only a few hours. I also don't make a habit of wet weather riding but have been caught in a 30-45 minute heavy downpour with the units on the helmets and had no problems with them. If you do need to pair them with another Bluetooth widget note that the pairing instructions from Scala are wrong. Go to Webbikeworld and check out their review of the Q2 Teamset, it gives the correct pairing sequence. It's not hard to do, took me about 2 minutes to pair each of them to a cellphone, but it helps to have the correct directions.

Thanks for the note. I'll definitely check it out. My primary need is to communicate with my girlfriend/passenger. Can each headset be paired to two different cell phones or gadgets? I prefer not to talk on the phone while riding. It would be cool if my passenger could though...

+1 SQ2 Team Set is a great way to go.

While it doesn't conform to the "no new stuff stuck to your helmet" requirement I can recommend the Scala Q2 Teamset highly. You do have to mount the units to the helmet but they are small and very easy to mount. I bought the set mainly for a wireless intercom with the additional need to at least answer a cellphone call while on the bike. It will also work with other Bluetooth gadgets like a GPS and will work bike to bike between the two. All you have to do is pair it with any of the extra gadgets you want to use with the system. The nice thing about the teamset is if you just want to use the two for on bike (or bike to bike) comms the two headsets are already paired at the factory, take them out of the box, mount them to your helmet and charge the units, and they work right out of the box.

Downfall is that if you do long days the internal battery may not be enough. Scala claims 8 hours or so but I think it's less depending on how much you use it and what you use it with. The wife and I use it for intercom and like it but most of our rides are only a few hours. I also don't make a habit of wet weather riding but have been caught in a 30-45 minute heavy downpour with the units on the helmets and had no problems with them. If you do need to pair them with another Bluetooth widget note that the pairing instructions from Scala are wrong. Go to Webbikeworld and check out their review of the Q2 Teamset, it gives the correct pairing sequence. It's not hard to do, took me about 2 minutes to pair each of them to a cellphone, but it helps to have the correct directions.

I don't want my passenger to talk to me. If they can talk, then we aren't going fast enough.

Kenny Rogers was close in his song.
"There's time enough for talking,
when the ridings done."

Back