• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road tar removal

badgertom

How do I remove stubborn road tar from chrome and exhaust pipes.I have been using elbow grease, but even that is not so effective. Any good suggestions?

Oven cleaner works well for removal. I prefer using Autosol and a ScotchBrite pad. Scrub em up real good, clean off the residue. Once cleaned, another dab of Autosol on a clean dry cloth, buff to a nice shine, use a second dry cloth to finish buffing. It leaves a clear film (you cannot see it) that helps to protect and makes the next cleaning much easier. I use it on all my chrome and aluminum. Autosol is available at most auto parts stores.

:ca

WD40 might work. There are some commercial tar removers in Auto parts stores. Polish with 0000 Steel Wool.

Virtually every autoparts store sells products specifically label "Bug and Tar Ramover" . . . and they work says the man from buggy Tennessee.

Floyd

scotch brite pad will sratch the chrome...been there, done that. I strongly urge you not to use a scotch brite pad on your chrome.

Me thinks you are using the wrong ScotchBrite pads. I use the dark blue ones that are about 1/4 inch thick. I have used them almost since they were invented. Wife was always wondering where her pot scrubbers disappeared to. Now she buys me my own. I only use the ones that are safe on teflon coated pots and that have no soap in them. Have never scratched any chrome, aluminum or teflon in all the years I have used them. Perhaps you were pressing to hard.

I also use the same stuff, Autosol, with Scotchbrite pads to clean the engine and polish up any aluminum. Comes out great. If I do it long enough, it will look like chrome. But, I don't like my aluminum all that bright.

Me thinks you are using the wrong ScotchBrite pads. I use the dark blue ones that are about 1/4 inch thick. I have used them almost since they were invented. Wife was always wondering where her pot scrubbers disappeared to. Now she buys me my own. I only use the ones that are safe on teflon coated pots and that have no soap in them. Have never scratched any chrome, aluminum or teflon in all the years I have used them. Perhaps you were pressing to hard.

I also use the same stuff, Autosol, with Scotchbrite pads to clean the engine and polish up any aluminum. Comes out great. If I do it long enough, it will look like chrome. But, I don't like my aluminum all that bright.

Although solvents will work on non-baked tar, they might not work on tar that has been baked on. The oven-off idea might be necessary for that. I agree most abrasives will scratch chromed surfaces.

Try anything in a non-obvious area first.

I use Diesel Fuel on my cars and cycles. I put it in a spray bottle and let it soak the tar off. After 15 minutes I can usually rub the tar off with little effort. It's cheap and effective. I have never seen where it harms the paint.

The old Go-Joe handcleaner with lanolin used to work great on tar. It's been replaced with new "orange cleaners" that may work as well.

The old Go-Joe handcleaner with lanolin used to work great on tar. It's been replaced with new "orange cleaners" that may work as well.

Watch it! Many of those orange cleaners have pumice in them, and I've used non-pumice versions to REMOVE PAINT. You can still purchase GOOP and GoJo "creme" cleaners.

Ever seen this?

Truckers, dump truck style trucks, hauling the stuff. Ashalt is hauled in the back of dump body trucks and THEY USE diesel fuel in a spray bottle to wet their beds, before the ashalt goes in their. Its much easier to clean the black goo off, afterwards. It works. Baked on exhaust pipe goo may need some soaking, so leave it on for a while and go back to it, for an easy wipe off. Kerosene, WD40 and Bug/tar removers are all good ideas. Randy:thumb

Back