• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

convert to 12 Volt

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
I have been riding a 1957 R69 with great success, engine and running gear all rebuilt. No cosmetics. Should I convert to a 12 volt system? What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC03535.JPG
    DSC03535.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 82
-1 -- Is that how you disagree? Why mess with success?

If you don't need the extra juice for lights, vest, etc., or you just run around during the day, I don't think it's worth the change. Plus you might have to be prepared to fix it when out in some remote place. The 6v ignition system is pretty simple. Coils seem to be an issue, though...but there are better replacements these days.

I do know a guy what what a bent camshaft tip and was having a hell of a time getting it to run smoothly. One option was to install a new camshaft...us shade tree mechanics weren't up to that. He ended up going to the MzB 12v conversion. It solved the timing issue because the ignition is run off the crankshaft not the camshaft. He also got 12v as well. He likes it, though. Pretty pricey...I think it was $500.

12 Volt Conversion

If you don't need the extra light a 12 volt conversion gives, I would wait until I had a problem with the generator. Give the durabiliy of these generators, you might be able to wait a long time.

Back