• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New F800 R, can it be?

Sure looks like it. Funny you saw it first on a Triumph site. I just saw it on a Honda site. Too bad it's a chain and not a belt drive.
robert

It was announced at the Milan Show. BMW put out a press release with "remarks" making the introduction. It is for real. Intro date not stated, however. I'm guessing spring in Europe. No good guess for the U.S. I just don't know.

Sure looks like it. Funny you saw it first on a Triumph site. I just saw it on a Honda site. Too bad it's a chain and not a belt drive.
robert

Don't want to start an argument, just expressing an opinion. As a recent Triumph Bonneville owner, I'd have to say, "What's the matter w/ a chain?" I know the advantages of this and alternative drive options. To me. all options have +'s and -'s.:stick

Chain drives can be easy to maintain, cheap to replace, can be easily swapped out to alter ratios, and when kept in good repair and lubricated, very reliable.

Len

Overall I like it. Except for the big ol' ugly brake fluid reservoir sitting way up high on the bars. You would think they could have at least made it black or something to make it less noticeable. That's the first thing my eyes went to.

Then I read this line in the press release:
"BMW has also paid special attention to quality details in the immediate field of vision of the rider."

Right. They should add this prefix: "Except for the brake fluid reservoir, BMW has..."

Why does BMW insist on using those d@#^ asymmetrical headlights as some sort of styling trademark? They make every bike they're put on look like some off-kilter mechanical cross between Bill the Cat and Marty Feldman.

Asymetrical Headlights

I think they keep doing it because they are pretty sure no one else will do it! As an owner of an R1100S, I did get used to the looks. But I do not think the R1100S asymetry is as bad as what I am seeing on some newer models now.

Maybe this will still catch on yet- hey I know, I am going to ask my optometrist for a pair of glasses with one BIG lens on the right and one SMALL lens on the left. Then I will feel balanced when riding. :stick

I think they keep doing it because they are pretty sure no one else will do it! As an owner of an R1100S, I did get used to the looks. But I do not think the R1100S asymetry is as bad as what I am seeing on some newer models now.

Maybe this will still catch on yet- hey I know, I am going to ask my optometrist for a pair of glasses with one BIG lens on the right and one SMALL lens on the left. Then I will feel balanced when riding. :stick

I don't happen to own a bike with weird headlights. But Voni does - an R1100S. We have ridden thousands of miles together, often with me in the lead. Glancing in my mirrors they don't look weird at all.

BMW does it because they use two different sized bulbs and two differently shaped reflectors to create the lighting pattern they want. They could do it other ways, but I rather like the function over form attitude displayed by those headlights.

If it is too weird - then buy something else.

I don't happen to own a bike with weird headlights. But Voni does - an R1100S. We have ridden thousands of miles together, often with me in the lead. Glancing in my mirrors they don't look weird at all.

BMW does it because they use two different sized bulbs and two differently shaped reflectors to create the lighting pattern they want. They could do it other ways, but I rather like the function over form attitude displayed by those headlights.

If it is too weird - then buy something else.

I'm throwing the Bravo Sierra flag on this one.

BMW obviously finds the "lighting patterns" of round, or otherwise symmetrical headlights acceptable enough to use on various R, K, F and X bikes. Buying into the belief that somehow every little detail is the product of engineering, not design, is just plain gullible... It's more likely that such designs are adopted specifically to create the impression of "function over form", rather than as a result of it.

Bring back Hans Muth, or learn how to make a naked bike look good from the Brits and the Italians.

Bring back Hans Muth, or learn how to make a naked bike look good from the Brits and the Italians.
BMW could have taken the R1200R round light out of the parts bin and used that instead, for what I think would have been a better look. But then again, I'm biased.

Fred
F800GS (Bill the Cat - I like that!)
R1200R (modern retro with round headlamp, and black with white stripes)

F800rt?

Any rumors of an RT or RS version of the 800? BMW seems to think we are all 6'2" and I believe there is a market for a fully faired smaller bike.

It was election day so I guess the thread title was a bit off track, but the release was on the forum 11/4

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=30885

The entire press release and a link to a slide show of all of the pictures for the F800R and the Lo Rider can be found there.

I have not heard anything but rumors and wants about an RT version of the F800

I'm throwing the Bravo Sierra flag on this one.

BMW obviously finds the "lighting patterns" of round, or otherwise symmetrical headlights acceptable enough to use on various R, K, F and X bikes. Buying into the belief that somehow every little detail is the product of engineering, not design, is just plain gullible... It's more likely that such designs are adopted specifically to create the impression of "function over form", rather than as a result of it.

I said, "They could do it other ways" but that went unnoticed in your reading comprehension. So your reading mishaps make me gullible.

And, you are welcome to your Muth designed bikes. I prefer the 21st century. I ride too much to depend on antiques for my travels. But each to their own.

I ride too much to depend on antiques for my travels. But each to their own.

I used to think that I was in the minority in this opinion. Paul, it's a comfort to me to hear this coming from someone as learned as yourself.
I'm of the opinion in this modern world whatever advantage in technology we two-wheelers can get is to our advantage.

I said, "They could do it other ways" but that went unnoticed in your reading comprehension. So your reading mishaps make me gullible.

And, you are welcome to your Muth designed bikes. I prefer the 21st century. I ride too much to depend on antiques for my travels. But each to their own.

I beg to differ, I thought I made it quite clear they in fact DO it other ways, as a counterpoint to your "function dictates form" comment.
I'll wager you next year's membership dues that the BMW's lopsided lights have more to do with styling than engineering anyday.

I own a 21st century Beemer by the way, and I'm quite pleased with how far it's come along beyond my Muth designed museum piece. (Which incidently, has never left me stranded, and I ride the h#!! out of each of them.)
However, I don't think it will ever earn it's place in a museum based on appearances alone.
I stand by my assertion that the British (21st century Triumph Speed Triple) and Italians (21st century Ducati Monster, 21st century Moto Morini Corsaro) build better looking naked bikes.
As they did last century (Norton Commando, Laverda Jota, and so on).

P.S. I'll happily take in any Muth designed antiques you are afraid to rely on.

I beg to differ, I thought I made it quite clear they in fact DO it other ways, as a counterpoint to your "function dictates form" comment.
I'll wager you next year's membership dues that the BMW's lopsided lights have more to do with styling than engineering anyday.

I own a 21st century Beemer by the way, and I'm quite pleased with how far it's come along beyond my Muth designed museum piece. (Which incidently, has never left me stranded, and I ride the h#!! out of each of them.)
However, I don't think it will ever earn it's place in a museum based on appearances alone.
I stand by my assertion that the British (21st century Triumph Speed Triple) and Italians (21st century Ducati Monster, 21st century Moto Morini Corsaro) build better looking naked bikes.
As they did last century (Norton Commando, Laverda Jota, and so on).

P.S. I'll happily take in any Muth designed antiques you are afraid to rely on.

All this from a rider who owns an R1200ST. Pot - Kettle - Black :)

It was election day so I guess the thread title was a bit off track, but the release was on the forum 11/4

Excuse me? Maybe your comment is a bit off track?:hide

I made the original post on 11-7-08, from the Triumph RAT site. Saw the Low Rider link, but missed the F800R. The Low Rider IMHO is an abomination, anyway!

My caption reflects, my interest in this F800R machine. Light, simple, pratical, powerful, etc. And, my hope is that it will be offered soon and in the USA.

I saw no other F800R release on the forum at the time of my posting, but certainly could've missed it. There's a lot goes on I don't notice or understand...its probably the age thing.:type

I thought the F-800 guys and dolls would be excited about this ride. And, I was amazed to find it on the Triumph site, first. Although, those ole Bonneville riders :gerg are always on the lookout of something new and exciting to put between their legs. So, I plopped it into the F-forum.

Cheers,
Len :beer

Back